main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

30 Years of Expanding the Universe, A Jedi Council event: The Top 100 EU Works RESULTS

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Jan 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Now.

10. X-wing: Wraith Squadron arc - And the top ten kicks off with more Allston fun . . . he's owned the 10-19 bracket.

9. Shatterpoint - And Stover owns the top ten.

7. (tie) X-wing: Rogue Squadron arc - Stackpole pulls ahead of Allston in the X-wing race.

7. (tie) Legacy: Broken - The highest-ranking comic on the list.

6. The Hand of Thrawn Duology - Zahn's second set of Star Wars novels ranks nearly as high as his first.

5. Knights of the Old Republic - The highest-ranking video game, KOTOR kicks off the top five.

4. The New Jedi Order: Star by Star - And they said no one likes the NJO.

3. The New Jedi Order: Traitor - And they said no one likes the NJO, Jacen, or Vergere.

2. The Thrawn Trilogy - 100% classic.

1. Revenge of the Sith novelization - This was on nearly everyone's list. High on nearly everyone's list.

2. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    My thoughts on the top ten series:

10. X-wing: Wraith Squadron arc - Justifiable.

9. Shatterpoint - Good book.

7. (tie) X-wing: Rogue Squadron arc - Justifiable.

7. (tie) Legacy: Broken - While I haven't read Legacy, I think I'd agree with the votes (according to spoilers).

6. The Hand of Thrawn Duology - Hmmm, I found HoT to drag a little.

5. Knights of the Old Republic - Never played it.

4. The New Jedi Order: Star by Star - I love that book/ I hate that book.

3. The New Jedi Order: Traitor - A brilliant story, well-written, well-conceived, and different to anything else. Not sure if it's Star Wars, though!

2. The Thrawn Trilogy - I agree with the choices for the top two, for sure.

1. Revenge of the Sith novelization - Justifiable indeed.

3. Cull_Tremayne

Cull_Tremayne Jedi Master star 2

Jun 27, 2005
    Wow, I did not expect Shatterpoint to crack the top ten. Stover owns apparently.

4. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Let's get Stover a crown =D=

5. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    10. X-wing: Wraith Squadron arc -- No surprises here.
    9. Shatterpoint -- Didn't like this one.
    7. (tie) X-wing: Rogue Squadron arc -- No surprises here either.
    7. (tie) Legacy: Broken -- Absolutely brilliant start to a great series.
    6. The Hand of Thrawn Duology -- A good read, though I don't know if it's top 10 level.
    5. Knights of the Old Republic -- Easy to see how this got here. Best Star Wars game yet.
    4. The New Jedi Order: Star by Star -- A memorable book, I'll give it that. Terribly long, though.
    3. The New Jedi Order: Traitor -- And to think, some people say that the NJO was unpopular....
    2. The Thrawn Trilogy -- Some of my favorite Star Wars books of all time.
    1. Revenge of the Sith novelization -- Was it really that good?

6. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006

10. X-wing: Wraith Squadron arc - Funny stuff, plus interesting and different. I loved the X-wing books.

9. Shatterpoint - Hmm...not on my list.

7. (tie) X-wing: Rogue Squadron arc - Awesome Stackpole stuff, introduction of Corran. [face_love]

7. (tie) Legacy: Broken - Once again, Legacy is rocking out. Keep up the good work!

6. The Hand of Thrawn Duology - Zahn's older stuff is good. Newer stuff, not so much.

5. Knights of the Old Republic - Loved this game, thanks to Hav who helped me. [:D]

4. The New Jedi Order: Star by Star - Awesome book. Pure awesome.

3. The New Jedi Order: Traitor - I was meh on this one.

2. The Thrawn Trilogy - 100% classic. (Can't say it better than Hav did)

1. Revenge of the Sith novelization - Awesome book. Well deserved.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah- I hear they're even making a movie based on it, but you know how the movie is never quite as good as the book? ;)

8. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    10. Wraith Squadren: Was alright, I prefer some of the X-Wing stuff.
    9. Shatterpoint: I really don't hold it up that high.
    7. Rogue Squad: Fun series that proves we don't always need the Skysolo's
    7. Broken: Great start to an interesting series. Still think its a bit overrated but was expecting it this high.
    6. Thrawn Doulogy: Zahn is great
    5.KOTOR: Great game that introduced myself and I bet many others to Dark Horse's great Star Wars history. I actually have sought out the comics because of the game.
    4. Star by Star: Great book, Anakin and Borsk are gone. So sad, but they did go out in a blaze of glory.
    3. Traitor: No Star by Star. I would have had Vector Prime in this spot.
    2. Thrawn Trilogy: With due respect to WEG, this is really the birthplace of the EU in a grand sense. My #1 for sure.
    1. ROTS Novel: Best of the movie novels by far. Good Take on Ep3, but not really EU enough for me. Still might have had it top 20 on my own list.

9. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    10. X-wing: Wraith Squadron arc - Awesome, but I'd've put it higher.
    9. Shatterpoint - One of, if not my number one, favourites.
    7. (tie) X-wing: Rogue Squadron arc - I prefered the Wraiths, but the Rogues deserve it.
    7. (tie) Legacy: Broken - I'm not super keen on Legacy.
    6. The Hand of Thrawn Duology - Good Solid fun, and a good cap to the Bantam era.
    5. Knights of the Old Republic - Started to play it, it was fun.
    4. The New Jedi Order: Star by Star - Start of a mostly solid year from SbS to Traitor. SbS just reeked of awesomeness. I miss you Borsk.
    3. The New Jedi Order: Traitor - For the NJO I prefered EL but Traitor was just a great way top cap off an arc that started with SbS
    2. The Thrawn Trilogy - Yes, despite starting late and just picking up random books at the library, these three still ended up being the first EU works I read. Still awesome after all these years.
    1. Revenge of the Sith novelization - It's a toss up between this and Shatterpoint for my favourite.

10. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    This list is poo.

11. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Yeah, but tell us how you really feel?[face_laugh]

12. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I feel like... like I smell poo. Poo that is on this list.

13. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    [face_laugh]

14. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    10. X-wing: Wraith Squadron arc - Adumar is still better, but this is the best arc.

9. Shatterpoint - very good written, but too grizzly for my taste.

7. (tie) X-wing: Rogue Squadron arc - I prefer the wraiths, but the Rogues are classic as well.

7. (tie) Legacy: Broken - haven't read it.

6. The Hand of Thrawn Duology - haven't read it, it was during my "no EU after ROTJ"-period, and I haven't been interesed in revisiting it since I started to read EU again.

5. Knights of the Old Republic - Haven't played it, but it's legacy makes it well deserved of a top 5 place.

4. The New Jedi Order: Star by Star - No favourite of mine

3. The New Jedi Order: Traitor - at least SBS was better than this though

2. The Thrawn Trilogy - 100% classic. Can't really say anything else than that,

1. Revenge of the Sith novelization - This was on nearly everyone's list. High on nearly everyone's list. - I guess I'm the exception, didn't even have it on my list. I guess I have a problem with Stover in general, in that his books are too dark for my taste, and you can't really get any darker than ROTS.

15. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    wow. Stover beat out Zahn. I had the Thrawn Trilogy pegged for number 1.

16. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Oh come on...ROTS was good, but not THAT good.

I think we just have some disenchanted EU fans who want to stick it to George by saying the book adaptation was better then his efforts.

GET OVER IT! You prove nothing to the assembly here by a political move like that.

Yes it was a good book...but not even remotely near the top of EU ever made.

_________

And don't even get me started on Shatterpoint...I can't even get through that swill. I KNEW it was gonna be up here!

X-wing Books, great choices, TTT, expected, the duology is a little high...I think that's Zahnite lovin more then objective ordering.

KOTOR is fine.

Legacy is too new...I really think anything younger then 2 years should've been disqualified...I adore Legacy...but putting it in the top ten all time is not something it's deserving of yet.

Star by Star was expected.

Traitor surprises the dung out of me...I don't know whether I approve or not, but it's inclusion is stunning.

17. Queengodess

Queengodess Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    I never cared for people calling the EU better than the movies - BUT I still think that the ROTS novel was an amazing book. Very, very happy to see it beat the Thrawn triology.

Uh. Less happy with the rest of the list. Shatterpoint was great, but I never cared much for Zahn (okay, so the first triology was okay, but not that fantastic. I like Outbound flight better... Weird, I prefer the OT as movies, but the PT has better EU) and I don't think Legacy got good until the seventh issue. Don't get me started on the NJO or Vergere (I actually rather liked Jacen in the NJO, though - very refreshing to see someone actually take the time to think. I do wonder why that upset so many... ).

18. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Jedimarine
    Oh come on...ROTS was good, but not THAT good.

I completely agree. I find myself wondering if more than a few people voted more than once by using socks? Is that possible?

In the first place, I don't think novelizations of the films should have been included in this EU poll. They aren't really a new addition to the universe the way the rest of the EU is.

I truly think The Thrawn Trilogy should have won. It is indeed a classic. It brought Star Wars back from the brink of oblivion, and it helped make SW popular again. TTT added truly memorable characters, some of whom are still included in the most recent fiction. TTT truly affected the SW universe in a profound way, and its success is what really allowed the EU to continue, as more books were authorized after these books hit the best seller charts. Beyond that, the story in the Thrawn Trilogy was an excellent one; a creative and fun adventure with a very satisfying conclusion, something that can't be said about a lot of the EU today.

But I think Zahn has some vocal detractors too, and I think those people brought this trilogy down to number 2 when it was truly deserving of number ONE.

I'm also disappointed that so many dark and depressing books (which include many of the NJO books) were included in the top 20. It explains why so many people on these boards seem so pleased with the gritty, gloomy, and dark stuff though. I doubt that the answers would have been nearly the same if ALL SW fans could have participated in this poll.

19. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    The RotS novel has severe pacing issues. There's no way it should be number one.

20. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Complaints aside, the ROTS book was beautifully written and had real heart. A lot of people seemed to like or love the book (I'm in the love catagory) and this list shows it.

I don't play video games - too busy writing and reading - but the others on the top ten were expected.

21. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    What? Are you some sort of lit commie or something?

22. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Yes, clearly there was some sort of conspiracy to keep the Holy Trilogy from being number one. I demand a re-count!

That said, I do think RotS is slighly higher than it ought to be. I found it to be the weaker of Stover's entries, due to aforementioned plotting and prose issues (which weren't entirely his fault); it's good, but not that good.

23. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    [image=http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h125/Ulicus/StupidLogic.jpg]

Heh. Jesting aside, TTT probably did deserve to be in the number one spot... but hey, it's an opinion poll and people are allowed to have - and do have - different opinions. I see RotS praised *all the damn time* here, and thus I'm not surprised at all to see it in the number one spot.

Still, I think that there's a valid point raised about whether or not movie novels should have been allowed. I tend to view those books as existing in a strange "EU yet not EU" state. It's weird seeing "Revenge of the Sith" topping an Expanded Universe list.

That said, I'm pleased to see Stover ruling the Top Ten. Since, you know, he rocks my socks.

Wait, did I say socks? [face_whistling]

24. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Even the frikkin' prologue rocked! Other shining moments:

-The duel between Dooku, Anakin, & Obi-Wan, written almost entirely from Dooku's POV.

-Master Kenobi's POV on both occasions of facing General Grievous. And Grievous' reaction aboard the Invisible Hand was pure gold. To paraphrase a portion "(Grievous) was astonished and apalled by how quickly Kenobi had taken control of the situation, and according to intelligence reports, he was the lesser skilled combatant of the two."

-And if you think that Sidious' seduction of Anakin to the dark side was brilliant in the movie, the expanded scenes in the book were that much better.

25. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Aren't such people fictional?

Still, I agree. RotS Novel >>>>> RotS Film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.