main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Female pilots and the like

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthBroox, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBroox

DarthBroox Jedi Master star 3

May 22, 2003
    If you are like me you see the movies and everything else as one big story, and often forget what came from where. For instance the fact that the empire is prejudiced against aliens. While not in the movies it is such an ingrained part of the empire that I often think of it as being in the movies.

Which brings me to my question, the EU has featured many pilots of both genders in a plethora of genders, so much so that when I think rebel pilots it is not surprising that a good portion of the names that come to mind are female. However while watching ANH the other day I noticed that there are no female pilots, are there female pilots in any of the OT movies?

Furthermore what EU bits have become so ingrained that you often catch yourself thinking they came from the movies?

2. Strika23

Strika23 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    The rebel alliace is full of women and aliens of all sort.
    There are no known female pilots in the original trilogy movies because of the time period the first movie came out. Female anything was very rare, hence why it was such a big thing back in the day to see Princess Leia fending for herself with a blaster. There are tons of female pilots in the EU though, and if i can remember correctly there was one or two in Ep 1.

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Yes, George made note to put a Asian and black pilot in the Alliance.

Plus, he put a woman in charge of the Rebel Alliance.

But yes, aside from Mon Mothma and Leia. There's only Ion Cannon Girl.

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    One at least, played by Celia Imrie.

5. Pabawan

Pabawan LFL Story Group star 1 VIP

Apr 2, 2002
    There is a female X-wing pilot who was cut from Jedi and is nonetheless being turned into an action figure.

And there were more female pilots on the cutting room floor. A female A-wing pilot remains in the final cut... voiced by a guy!

ph

6. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Weren't there any in the background of the briefing scene in ROTJ? I thought there were...

7. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Ion Canon Girl is Shira Brie.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    AH HAH!

I saw a shot of two X-wing upcoming pilot figures, one of whom was Wes, and I was having difficulty telling whether he was the long haired androgenous one or the one with the head sheath. I suppose that question is now answered.

9. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    I'm not sure if you're serious, but it's Toryn Farr.

10. Lightsaber123

Lightsaber123 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 31, 2007
    *head desk*

11. JediWampa

JediWampa Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2000
    Don't forget about that one girl....you know....Stacy something.....

12. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Well in episode 1, there was at least one female pilot in Bravo Squadron.

If we step outside "fighters" the Captain of the Radiant VII at the beginning of TPM was female.

Most of the Clonewars would be fought by clones...and thus most would be male...so far.

Females have gotten much more prevalent in the EU...I think at one point in the X-wing books, there even may have been more female Rogues then male!

As was stated before, with the OT, Leia herself was a stereotype breaker...she wasn't the damsel in distress...at least she didn't behave like one...something that obviously surprised and intrigued Luke and Han both.

I blame growing up with Princess Leia for my interest in assertive women. Thanks a lot George!

13. DarthBroox

May 22, 2003
    I need to rewatch that and look for it then, What happens right before you see her?

14. IcePirate

IcePirate Jedi Master star 2

Jul 13, 2005
    pink 5.... fanon

15. DarthBroox

May 22, 2003
    Stacey is cannon, to an extent. Thank you Zahn!

16. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    What about Kasan Moor? Yeah she's an EU character, but I think there was an unused shot where they had an actual actress in a Rebel flight suit that they labeled as being her.

17. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >Ion Canon Girl is Shira Brie.<

Brie didn't join until after the Battle of Hoth. That's why Vader needed probe droids to find the rebel base...

TC

18. Pabawan

Pabawan LFL Story Group star 1 VIP

Apr 2, 2002
    Lando says, "Watch yourself, Wedge! Three from above."

Wedge responds, "Red Three, Red Two, pull in!"

Cut to an A-wing cockpit. The pilot says "Got it!" We then cut to space. Anyway, that A-wing pilot is a British woman who was voiced over by an American guy.

ph

19. DarthBroox

May 22, 2003
    Thanks Pabs

20. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Juno Eclipse and Gunner Yage are two new pilots to the EU. Leia and Padme could pilot too and did so often.

21. Strika23

Strika23 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    Bastila and Carth were the two main pilots of the Ebon Hawk In KOTOR 1. Bastila *spoiler* also flies her own ship away from your party the rakatan world. So im assuming she was a pretty good pilot.
    Also, the jedi strike team who landed on the star forge in KOTOR was lead by a female jedi, so its assumed she was the one to fly them in safely.
    Lastly, KOTOR reveals a few names of the past owners/pilots of the Ebon Hawk. One of them was a female but I forgot her name.

22. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    I've always been under the impression that the soccer-mom photo was staged much later, and badly photoshopped, a la this Mara card.

23. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/f/fc/Kasanmoor.gif]

24. Kemikal

Kemikal Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2007
    Hmm this is good. There's a few things that I can think of that I can't remember where they came from, either books or movies:

When did we first learn that Han was Corellian?

When was "Sith" first mentioned?

That Boba Fett was a Mandalorian?

That Darth Vader was Luke's father? (j/k hah hah)

That Princess Leia was adopted by Bail Organa?

Probably some others....can't think of them right now.

Anyway these are all facts that I feel like I've always known...and yet I can't figure out where it was that I learned them. Having recently watched the OT, I don't specifically recall any of these being in the movies. I actually started reading the books right after I first saw the movies when I was around 10-11, so I'm guessing it's probably from the books.

25. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    Sith was never mentioned in the OT. I remember back when Episode I came out, I had never been exposed to the EU, so I was wondering where this term Sith came from. Though they used it so much, I almost started believing that it was from the OT.

Bail Organa confuses me. His name was never mentioned in the movies before Episode III, and he didn't appear until Episode II. But even most of the casual fans I know were aware that Leia's adopted dad was named Bail Organa...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.