main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I can't think of anything which leaped out at me, I'll be honest. The majority of the cartography, I presume, came from where each particular animalistic threat came on, but there wasn't a great deal I could see.

2. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Something for you cartographisers: The original Kenner brief for Atha Prime describes him as ruler of the "dark worlds." Any ideas as to what these "dark worlds" could be? Has anything similar been mentioned anywhere else?

3. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Usually, "Cartographer" in an RPG book rarely means anything exciting from our perspective; normally character-scale maps of buildings in which adventures are occurring, that sort of thing. However . . .

. . . having scanned the books, Sin is right; there aren't any maps in the book, even of floorplans of buildings or ships. So what the "cartographer" did on this project is baffling.

Was anyone overtly in charge of the remnants of the Sith Empire in his timeframe?

4. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    I don't know, but he's also stated to be in exile, kept in the fringes of the galaxy. I assume that means the Outer Rim Territories...does the Sith Empire overlap with the ORT? (forgive my total ignorance of Galactic Cartography. :p)

No connection has been made between Prime and the Sith directly yet, but...uh...there are hints. I think it'd probably work in nicely.

5. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Yes, Sith Space was almost entirely within the Outer Rim Territories. He couldn't have been in charge of *all* of it, since we have a pretty good record of the jurisdictions Yavin IV has been in during the timeframe he'd be exiled, but Sith Space is big . . .

Also, Atha doesn't have to be directly tied to the Sith, just have to be in charge of "dark worlds." Though if it turns out he was the same person as a certain member of the Prophets of the Dark Side . . .

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    ... then he may have more Sith influence than we imagine.

Because, nominally, Drommund Kas fell within Blackholes jurisdiction, did it not? I could easily imagine Blackhole, from a base in the old Sith Empire, reigning over territory for his Emperor - even when exiled. The Commonality fell within his jurisdiction as a hologram, for example...

And he did travel on a ISD...

The most rimward aspects of the Sith Empire could have been his 'dark worlds'. Further rimward than Yavin and Korriban, for example... Ziost during this time, perhaps?

7. IcePirate

IcePirate Jedi Master star 2

Jul 13, 2005
    when did this happen? and it aint Cronal, it's Shadowspawn.

8. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    There's some suggestion that Shadowspawn = Cronal = Atha Prime out there. Shadowspawn as Cronal as he is now a Prophet of the Dark Side and a former head of Imperial Intelligence, and as Atha Prime as he's been exiled beyond the Outer Rim, only capable of returning after Palpatine died.

So, the three may be retconned into one. For mind-boggling continuity.

9. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Specifically, it's this book review leading to the hypothesis of a Triple Crown super retcon. It *very* strongly implies Shadowspawn and Cronal are the same (both are former Imperial Intelligence officers, Prophets of the Dark Side, and masters of both ancient Sith knowledge and modern technology). However, the comment that "The Emperor's death has paved the way for Shadowspawn's return from exile in the Outer Rim" was not a part of either character's known backstory, yet IS a part of Atha Prime's; and since Abel already suggested making Prime and Shadowspawn the same (near the end of his 12/5/07 5:00pm post) to The Powers That Be, and since Stover is already drawing on another proposed-but-never-canonized Abel backstory for Shadowspawn, it's not unreasonable to think we may be seeing this super retcon happen.

10. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    In addition, earlier had Blackhole dissapear sometime around the battle of Hoth, so an exile pre-Endor isn't inconcievable.

11. IcePirate

Jul 13, 2005
    shadowspawn is killed on mindor 5aby according to the wook.

and

shadowspawn=atha i think is doable. but shadowspawn=cronal.... i seem to remember there was something else in their histories that prevented them from being the same person, but i don't know what right now. edit: something about Cronal aiding palps on byss during the return , i think
    then there's white eyes who has been speculated on by others.

maybe if set harth=all of the above it could work.

i'd like to throw in the identity of the constable of homunculi into the mix for fun.

Cronal is Blackhole, that's canon, we know.... so... if all theses are the same person, we could have a real case of multiple personality disorder.

to recap...

Cronal
    Blackhole
    Shadowspawn
    Atha Prime
    White Eyes
    Constable of Homunculi
    Set Harth

12. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Also: Mayor of Sernpidal, the Mysterious Scene Stealer, and Darth Krayt.

13. IcePirate

Jul 13, 2005
    :p could be the mayor.... but the other two aren't possible. species issue for one, definite conflicting story for the other.

14. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Going back through the Essential Guide to Characters, I've noticed that the Wedge Antilles entry puts the Nespis VIII space city in the Auril system. However, Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds indicates that the system was called the Nespis system (at least according to the sourcing on Wookieepedia...)

I think we can say that the Auril system is another name for the Nespis system. Also, I'd say it's likely that the Auril system was once the sector capital of the Auril sector, at some point.

[face_thinking]

15. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Galaxy of Fear #5 has the Auril system as well. I haven't checked Dark Empire II yet.

I think it's fairly safe to say that whenever an author decides to make a planet name different from the system it's in, the error of refering to one as the other is almost inevitable.

TC

16. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Hey, jason (and/or Dan)...

Need anything from the TIE Fighter and/or X-Wing games? I've taken some notes, but I dunno if you already have that covered...

17. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Trip, I have been playing X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter again for the first time in over a decade. There are alot of little tidbits that I would love to see incorporated from the game.

Hell, top on my list would be mention of the Ariam. They come across as a very important addition to the Rebellion, compared to the Calamarians for their shipbuilding/modification abilities.

--Adm. Nick

18. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Any notes on videogames you guys would give us would be very welcome!

18 maps to go....

19. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I need second opinions please :). So Mygeeto is now a happy part of the Imperial Remnant. The Wook puts Mygeeto between Morishim and Ord Biniir. Does this likely make Morishim IR territory now as well?

Also I 'm thinking that Mygeeto could be along the Braxant Run as it seperates from the Hydian Way and travels up past Muunilist to Bastion and beyond. Any thoughts would be helpful. Even sources. Thanks.:)

20. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Morishim was a major New Republic starfighter base. I doubt it is part of the Imperial Remnant. Plus there are no sources that state it was captured. My guess would be that the Remnant's borders do not include it or Ord Biniir.

--Adm. Nick

21. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    Jason, did you notice that Threats of the Galaxy indicated the Malkite Poisoners come from the remote world Malkii?

22. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Yep, noted re Malkii and the Poisoners. (Which sounds like some deranged spinoff of Josie and the Pussycats, but never mind.) Will also look at Morishim.

BTW, Atrivis and Atravis will be considered separate entities in the ATLAS.

(EDITED for earlier typos. Got them and Arkanis jumbled up in what passes for my brain. Sorry, Sin!)

23. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Where?

I can't find anything on those two!

24. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    Threats p. 13

"The remote world Malkii is famed for producing some of the most skilled poison manipulators...."

Sounds like Outer Rim, maybe even Wild Space.

Interestingly, the Malkite Poisoners (species not specified) in their stats have the langauges Basic, Bocce, and High Galactic.

Does anyone else think the predatory "tikiar birds" used for hunting by Senex Lords are the same as the sentient, predatory, avian "Tikiarri" of Joralla? This seems to me to probably be the author's intent, since she makes it quite clear the Senex Lords kept sentient species (Balinaka, Ossans) as slaves and treated them like animals.

So, does this mean Joralla is in the Senex Sector?

according to http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tinnell
    the Tinnell are native to Enz Prime in the Cattzz Sector. Is this canon? I thought we knew they came from Mid Rim, but actual homeworld name was mystery (although Atlas could solve that).

25. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    As fantastic as the RPG guide to the Greater Javin Region was, it did miss references to the Ison Corridor region in both X-Wing and X-Wing: Alliance (but oddly enough included numerous references to TIE Fighter).
    Specifically, Tour of Duty 5 in X-Wing involves the hunt for a new base, and the Habassans - a neutral race that becomes allies of the Rebellion - are heavily implied to be in the same sector as Hoth. X-Wing: Alliance has a series of missions helping the Alliance taskforce that was near Hoth escape an Imperial cordon around the area around the same time as the TIE Fighter missions near Hoth.

I second the inclusion of the Airam Sector information - there are numerous references, in fact, to the sector being near or even bordering Elrood Sector (never mentioned explicitly, but some locations in the game are in Elrood & I believe one mission mentions an Elrood Sector planet being in "a neighboring sector").

I'll have to dig up my notes on the old X-wing games, unless someone else beats me to the punch here...