main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Daniel Wallace Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Canonically, however, Jaden has been referred to as "he" outside the game.

2. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    This Monday, 11/6, I'll be participating in a panel discussion and book signing for the Marvel Encyclopedia, at 7:00 pm at the Barnes & Noble store in Chelsea.

The other participants will be fellow Marvel Encyclopedia co-contributors Tom DeFalco and Peter Sanderson. Tom is the former editor-in-chief of Marvel Comics and a famed Spider-Man writer. Peter is Marvel Comics' former archivist, who got his start in the industry when DC Comics hired him to read a copy of every book they had ever published since the 1930s.

The Barnes and Noble is located at 675 6th Avenue/Avenue of the Americas, on the corner of 21st Street.

If you're a New Yorker, or if you plan to be in Manhattan that day, please stop by and say hi. I hope to see you there!

Dan

3. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    Dan I just got the New Essential Guide to Droids, AWESOME BOOK!:D

Will you be doing a new characters book that will include ROTS characters? :D

4. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Hey Dan, this is probably pretty dated now, but I wanted to say what a great job you did with the Star Wars Trivial Pursuit. I recently realised a friend of a friend has the game. I now love playing it.

I got caught out last night by one particular question, it was asking who said to Luke that it was impossible to shoot a proton torpedo into the Death Star exhaust shoot. I could see the guy's face in my mind, but couldn't remember his name. :confused:

I finally said "John D" as my best guess. I was baffled when the answer given was Wedge Antilles. I knew that wasn't what Wedge looked like. :eek:

Anyway, later that night I was looking at Wookieepedia. I had to laugh when I saw this on Wedge's article:
    During the pre-battle briefing on Yavin 4, Luke briefly chats with a character seated next to him who scoffs at the idea of successfully hitting such a small target as the Death Star exhaust port. In the shooting script and novelization of the film, this character is identified as Wedge. However, given his skeptical attitude and the fact that he was not played by Denis Lawson in this scene, many assume that he was one of the other anonymous Rebel pilots.

That was followed closely by:
    The fact that Lawson did not play Wedge in that particular scene sparked some discussion between fans who wanted to know who did. The speculation eventually revolved around two actors: Jack Klaff (who played John D) and Colin Higgins. It was thought by the majority of those concerned that Klaff was "Fake Wedge". However, in 2005 Pablo Hidalgo confirmed that Colin Higgins was the actor in question

With that I was able to tell myself that I actually was correct. My Star Wars knowledge was vindicated!!

:D[face_dancing];)

5. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    Eyrezer, good point. I should have written the answer to that question as "Fake Wedge"! :D

Dan

6. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Dan, just heard you're coming to Memphis for a signing with the Public Library system. That's so awesome!

I have just about every Essential Guide there is. And the Trivial Pursuit game is awesome.

7. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    Hey rhonderoo, you're right! I am coming to Memphis in May! More details to be posted soon as soon as they're nailed down.

Say, where did you read about the appearance, anyway? I'd love to see it -- I've just been talking to people behind the scenes, and didn't realize anything had been posted yet.

Thanks,
    Dan

8. arf_maul

arf_maul Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2002
  9. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    Arf, good catch on the Star Wars Atlas! Jason Fry and I are in currently in the perfect-storm craziness of looming deadlines, but more on that project as it develops.

Also, here's the official press release for my appearance next Monday 5/14 at the Memphis Public Library. It promises to be a great time, so if you live in or around Memphis I hope to see you there. I'll probably reveal secrets about the Star Wars Atlas! :)

On May 14th, the Memphis Public Library and Information Center, in conjunction with Random House, is sponsoring an author event to celebrate Star War?s 30th Anniversary.

This intergenerational program, targeted to teens and adults, will feature a visit by author Daniel Wallace. Mr. Wallace will speak and autograph books. We anticipate lots of time for a question and answer session, and want to invite all Star Wars fans in the area to come mark this occasion with us.

Costumes are welcome!

The program will be on Monday night, May 14, 2007, from 6:30-8:00pm, in the meeting room suite of the Benjamin L. Hooks Central Library, 3030 Poplar Avenue, Memphis, TN. The event is free, and open to the public.

Well known for his Essential Guides and his work in Wizards of the Coast, Gamer, Comics and RPGing, Dan is an incredible Star Wars author and the Memphis FanForce is happy to be welcoming him!

10. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Have a good time in Egypt, Dan!

Oh, wait, wrong Memphis. ;-)

11. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Thanks for coming out Dan, it was a lot of fun and we really enjoyed hanging out with you for dinner afterwards! :) I think you've made some more diehard fans out of the kids there and it was exciting to see so many people show up that we in the Fan Force had never even met that love it. Thanks again!!!

12. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    We had a fantastic time, Dan! Thank you so much for coming and we hope you enjoyed your stay in Memphis. :D

(I can't believe Tim took you to Graceland that late at night! You'll have to come back and see it in the daytime. ;) )

~Traci

13. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Hey, now... He had to see Graceland! It's just one of those things you have to do when in Memphis! I told him that if he ever comes back, we'll have to give him the real tour of the city instead of the 1-hour T. Brown Reality Tour.

And it worked out quite well last night at Graceland... No gangbangers or thugs at all. Dan got his picture in front of the gates without getting mugged!

14. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    Thanks Tim, Traci, and Rhonda! I had a fantastic time in Memphis -- the turnout was great, and wouldn't have been nearly as good without the assistance of the Memphis FanForce.

I put up some photos! Please check them out, if only to ensure that I got everybody's name right.

Dan

15. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    What, Star Wars: The Essential Atlas creeps ever closer, and no one has anything to say about it? I'm shocked.

I, for one, am most thoroughly excited, even if it's still many months off.

16. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I have this to say:
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/a/ae/Hiromi_cheer.jpg]

17. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    I have something to say! New blog entry here.

Dan

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Oh, Hiromi... you make me laugh even today...

19. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    I just finished doing an interview with the TFN podcast, which was lots of fun. You can download the episode from this link!

Dan

20. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
  21. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    Really looking forward to this book. I can be a real geek for maps sometimes, and it'll be nice to see such a definitive represntation of the GFFA. :)

22. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Hi Dan.

Have you got a moment to have a look at a continuity problem? In Making a Full Recovery that you co-wrote with Craig R. Carey and Jason Fry, there's an entry on Eelysa.

It says Eelysa was born "after the Emperor's apparent demise aboard the second Death Star", so 4 ABY at the earliest.

It says that "It was the perceptive Eelysa who first sensed Master Skywalker's unease when he suffered the impact of a vision received during the mass murders caused by Kueller, some seventeen years before the Yuuzhan Vong thrust into the galaxy." However, The New Rebellion was actually about 8 years before their invasion (17 ABY).

I think based on this timeline placement, the article says "In the dozen or so years she operated in this capacity on behalf of the Jedi, NRI estimates that she went on perhaps five missions." If TNR had been 17 years before the invasion, there would have been plenty of time for her to graduate and spend 12 years on missions. However, when only 8 years has passed, there is not, especially considering she dies 26 ABY. This would mean she started missions before she joined in TRN, and while she was at best 10 or 11 years old.

Any suggestions as to how to re-interpret this so that it works? Does the "dozen or so years" get reduced to less than 8?

~ Eyrezer

23. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    Just wanted to let everyone know I'll be at San Diego Comic-Con from July 24-27. I'm arriving Thursday, and will be doing two signings at the DK Publishing booth (Booth #2913D), located in the Lucasfilm/Star Wars Pavilion:

Thursday July 24, 5:00-6:00
    The Marvel Encyclopedia

Friday, July 25: 2:00-3:00
    Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide

Hope to see you there! I'll be trackable, and contactable, via Twitter feed:

http://twitter.com/danwall88
    http://friendfeed.com/danwall88

Eyrezer, sorry for not picking up on this earlier. I think the definitive references to the Emperor's death and Kueller's activities imply we should treat those as real, so let's assume Eelysa was born 4 ABY and was thirteen during the Kueller incident (17 ABY). Charitably assuming she started on NRI missions when she was fourteen, that gives her seven years to run missions until the Yuuzhan Vong invasion (25 ABY).

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's definitely a contradiction here (sorry!) and that the "dozen years" reference is the most flexible part of the contradiction for retconning.

Dan

24. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Hey. Any plans on writing the Essential Guide to Military with Karen Traviss?

25. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    IG_2000, no plans for working on the Essential Guide to the Military -- but I did get a peek at Karen's outline and it looks awesome!

The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia goes on sale 12/8. I worked on it with a whole crew of writers, and it's an impressive (and heavy) tome. More info here:

http://geekosity.blogspot.com/2008/11/complete-star-wars-encyclopedia.html

Dan