main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

KOTOR Campaign Guide: Some new info

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The_Pumaman, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Actually...[face_whistling]

2. Sentry_21

Sentry_21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 14, 2007
    This is the only available evidence that Revan and Bastila ever fought:
    [image=http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/2236/bastilarevankv3.jpg]

But, its canonicity is questionable seeing as it does not match events as they are depicted in the KotOR flashback sequence.

Sorry, that was a little off-topic...

3. sithreaper

sithreaper Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 8, 2004
    Those stats must be from day 4 of his training [face_thinking] .

4. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    Methinks the Apprentices' most noteworthy feats are going to be due to that "Unleashed" feat that we know nothing about yet.

5. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    Howdy folks,

Well, I consider it an actual background, though Bandon's bio is significantly lighter than the other Sith. The loose rule handed down to me was minor time for minor characters.

That's quite a mint. The best price I've seen here in the States is about 25 bucks on Amazon.com with free shipping.

I'll confirm that. There was limited space to do it in, but there was a conscious effort to bridge TOTJ and KOTOR. For my part, the heaviest attempts are made in throughout the Jedi chapter, though the Sith chapter does its part too.

For those coming out of the old WEG school, I think there's a satisfying amount of fluff.

Wizards.com has about 5 previews up, with 1 web enhancement up and counting.

Lady Brezwalt continues the Tapani Sith threads from Lords of the Expanse and Evil Never Dies. There are stats for her.

Canderous was my only contribution to the Mandalorian chapter. John swapped me him for Saul Karath.

Thanks. LFL turned down Mandalore the Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and Mandalore the Bad-shebs. Go figure.

I'd say it's fairly tasty. The unfolding KOTOR comics were a strong limiting factor, but I think we came up with a reasonable compromise.

Well, there you go. Thanks QG.

Mmm... =P~

We tried to get it all in there, but we probably would've need a book twice as long.

Yes, I actually made that connection explicit, but it was cut in approvals. Doesn't mean it ain't tr

6. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    Well, you could always produce a KOTOR Campaign Guide Vol II...

7. Xicer

Xicer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2008
    I just got the book recently and I like it a lot. I dunno if its already been mentioned, but it appears that the First and Second Sith Civil Wars as well as the First Jedi Purge have been grouped as the Dark Wars.

8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Great to see you around, Abel! :)

I'm hearing that a lot. Very much looking forward to this book's arrival. :D

But... man... that old quote of mine is looking pretty darn ironic now. [face_blush]

[face_thinking]

The fact you put "true" in quotation marks makes me very, very happy. [:D]

Though I'm still hoping/assuming the "True Sith" is a metaphor for the Sith belief/ideals, with an empire reigning in the hearts of weak willed sentients. :p

(Even when/if I'm proven wrong, I'll cling to it.)

9. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    The name was Rodney's. I'm a great proponent of having names for every era ? particularly since we don't go around citing B.B.Y. all the time, and the characters never do. It helps to have some kind of identifier that a character might actually mention. That last period, for having so many things going on in it, was tricky to label. And I think the Restoration, a period I wrote a good bit about, went through five or six possible names, all of them equally apt.

Note that as the approach is historical, it is not necessarily the case that the people in the era were using the terms at the time. We still don't even really know what people will call the current decade when it turns up on VH1 in a few years. (As a Beverly Hillbillies fan, I'm partial to "the double-naughties"....)

10. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    You actually think that they would wait that long, when there's money to be made now?

11. Sentry_21

Nov 14, 2007
    Good, I like this change. Several sources -- including the Essential Guide to the Force and the Ultimate Visual Guide -- place the 'Sith Civil War' at 3,951 BBY but no one really knew what events that label was meant to describe... Dan Wallace stated the following in his NEC endnotes:
    "The section The Sith Civil War covers the sequel to the game, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords."

But, that wasn't all that helpful. I never really got around to trying to reconcile the whole mess over at Wookieepedia... but it is nice that we now have a convenient blanket term to describe the whole period. Now someone with a lot of free time can go ahead and merge it all together.

12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Here's a question: does the guide primarily use "Jedi Civil War" or "Second Sith War"?

13. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    From what I saw during my perusing at Borders last week, it was consistently referred to as the Jedi Civil War.

14. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    [face_thinking] indeed.

Now, if only my quote had been more specific so we knew exactly what Abel means! :p

So, we've got three ways of taking that I think:

1. The Revan/Malachor assassins are the same as the Mecrosa assassins.
    2. Sion was originally a Mecrosa assassin, hence his assassin obsession.
    3. The Draay Family are a Tapani noble household, maybe with a Mecrosa background.

Why, oh why could I not have been more specific. :p

Or does Abel mean the "true" Sith of Malachor are really just fake Mecrosa wannabes? :p

Oh, what an anticlimax that'd be, Revan goes to hunt down the big bad True Sith and instead finds some Legacy #27 hillbillies. Well, if they were from a Tapani family they might not exactly be hillbillies but just inbred nobles, but still. :p

15. Jmacq1

May 20, 2005
    For some reason I'm now picturing the "True Sith" as Kunite remnants who took off for unknown space to try to lord it over people there without the Jedi messing with them.

16. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I've always kind of seen the Mecrosa as that. I've never really been that sure how isolated the Tapani sector is or isn't though. The Mecrosa always struck me as a bit of a continuation of the idea of an aristocratic Sith cult seen in the Krath, just forced to lord it over a different system after they probably got hounded out of the Teta system.

Not having the Campaign Guide yet myself, no idea if it actually goes into more detail about the backstory of the Mecrosa founders? "Pure" Kun follower, or initially Krath acolyte?

17. Jmacq1

May 20, 2005
    I'll have to double-check, but I don't recall if that much is given on the Mecrosa. I think they predate the Kunite revival (and possibly even the Hyperspace War), though they certainly joined in said revival, so some crossover between Krath and Mecrosa is certainly possible, or even likely.

That was the other thing I liked about this book, it really spelled out that Kun/Qel-Droma's Sith Revival was a Really Big Deal (tm) that spawned legions of Dark-Side flunkies. What we saw in the comics was just a very limited focus on specific events...that had the unfortunate side effect of making the conflict seem much "smaller" than it actually was.

18. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    So the Mecrosa might predate Kun? Interesting. I'd always assumed with the Sith marrying into the household after the Great Sith War that it was probably just a leftover floozy from the Kunites/Krath. Or are you suggesting a bit of both, that it was possibly a dark side cult for centuries, becoming a Sith cult when Lady Whatshername joined?

19. Jmacq1

May 20, 2005
    Peeking at the Wook as I don't have my guide handy, that seems to be the case. Started when someone got an inkling they had some ancient Dark Sider/Sith in their bloodline (whether from the Great Hyperspace War or earlier is unclear, and was begun as a sort of Dark-Side cult. Actual Sith teachings didn't show up until what appears to be a Naddist Sith from Vjun showed up right about the time the Great Sith War started.

20. Vrook_Lamar

Vrook_Lamar Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2008
    When I read the whole book through I noticed a throway line that could hint that the Trayus Academy was built by Kunite remnants. Of course I can't find it anymore and when I do find it the chances are that I'll have miss read it. Darth Traya's bio says that she believed the sith species had written the academy's "Sith hemetica".

The guide is also apparently clear that Malak knew all about Malachor V. Or at least that he went there with Revan.

It's sort of pathetic that Darth Bandon is 2 levels lower than the generic Shadow Hand and 3 levels lower than Calo Nord, who you fight first.

On page 149, in the Sith Student bio, Jorak Uln is also confirmed to have been one of Exar Kun's original students.

I also noticed that the Great Hunt is no longer limited to Terrentateks but all sithspawn.

21. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    It's Bandon. I'm shocked it treats him as seriously as it does. :p

22. Vrook_Lamar

Vrook_Lamar Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2008
    Now that I've read the bio for Darth Sion, I actually prefer him as being way older than KotOR 2 suggests. Being stuck in eternal torment is less effective if you've only been in that state for a few years.

23. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    Hey folks,

Yes, that's him. I toyed with calling him dar'Mand'alor, loosely translating Mandalore the Unknown.

That sums it up. Gracias.

It was logical, I think. Thankfully there was enough chronological time between TOTJ and KOTOR to push that interpretation.

There are certainly some, especially on the philosophical side (which, let's face it, is the crux of what Kreia is).

Right. We discussed this, and Sterling had addressed it with a sidebar in one of his chapters, though it looks like the mechanic was ditched. Basically, if someone wanted to use the KOTOR II villains in all their all-balls-out glory, there were special guidelines for that.

Heh heh.

Not without a new contract, alas. I'm trying to cut back on Vader's Limbo, er, Legacy type situations.

To paraphrase Borges, ambiguity is inherent to their design.

Ambiguity is inherent to the design of me, too, alas.

24. Sentry_21

Nov 14, 2007
    Hmmm... that may or may not be a continuity issue.

CotOR states:
    "Revan's power continues to grow, and he secretly strengthens his stronghold, hiding it even from his apprentice, DARTH MALAK." However, that is marked as occurring in 3,963 BBY. I guess that it is possible that Revan brought Malak there later on.

Sweet. :)

25. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Just got this in the mail today. Fantastic stuff. I've been reading up on the Mandalorian sections for writing the Cassus Fett article on the Wook, and the Mandies have now been reclaimed from the pit of LOTF. These are the real Mandalorians, and I'm remembering why I like them in this era. The whole section on the Crusader/Neo-Crusader progression is really great stuff, right up there with WEG.

I was rather surprised to see "pasts" for Nihilus and Sion; nothing too specific, but they do eliminate some of the theories floating around. Nihilus' nature, and particularly the comment from Legacy about his armor, are nicely explained. Kreia's story too; with KOTOR II as one of my favorite works of the EU, I'm glad to see it get its dues. Especially since the last two works that I figured might cover the era, the NEC and EGTTF, didn't really.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.