main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Mandorla" - Alex Irvine TOTJ/KOTOR/Nomi Sunrider 2011 Hardcover

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Dani, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dani

Dani Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2005
    KOTOTR novel? Who is this Alex Irvine guy? Too many questions.

Sorry if old.

Edited title for clarity.

2. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    From his myspace blog:

3. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Just before the Knights of the Old Republic storyline? What exactly does that mean here? Before the comic? Or, more likely, before the games? A Mandalorian Wars novel or a Jedi Civil War novel?

Oh well, at least we got KOTOR novel at last.:)

4. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I'm on board. I was hoping a little more ancient but this'll do. I do wish it was coming out in '09 instead of the Star Wars horror novel.

5. MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2001
    Sign me up too as it is prime unexplored real estate. Question is will this work as a bridge for TOTJ to KOTOR or will this be all new stuff?

6. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Not really.

7. MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2001
    Well, I meant in terms of having an actual book from the era. Clearly, as I am a huge fan of the comics and video games, I'm aware of our, uh, milemarkers for lack of a better term. I'm still looking forward to what we will end up with here.

8. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I assumed it was set before the TOTJ KotOR but I hadn't thought about sandwiching it between TotJ and the current KotoR. I'd rather it be pre TOTJ. I mean I just got a full Haazen flashback in KotOr. I'd really rather a pre Ulic and Exar book. Something that feels ancient. Kotor Comics feels as contemporary as anything in the EU in it's way at this point.

9. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    It will be interesting to see when it is actually set, because as a test case (which essentially it is) if theres enough room for there to be other novels to follow it.

At least I hope it will get to establish some continuity itself rather than conflict established continuity.

10. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Bigger question is, has LFL finally sorted out all the legal copyright issues with the Chrysler/Jeep corporation over the whole "Sunrider" issue, and allow us to finally get a look at Nomi and Vima's fates?

More on this later; time's a factor right now, but I'm stunned (in a great way) by this new announcement.

11. PadmeA_Panties

PadmeA_Panties Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    My thoughts:

If this is a standalone; then it will be in one of two ways:

1) A lead in to the KOTOR comics (or games - most likely games)
    2) A redoing of comics into novel form [see Bane novel(s)]

If this is the lead up to a series (be it multi-author or a future trilogy akin to the Bane series with Drew) it could go a few ways actually

1) fleshing out a portion of the KOTOR era
    2) beginning and then going congruent with KOTOR comics/and/or/games
    3) Just providing another milemarker for Del Rey themselves to use later on for events like a Darth Vevectus (sp?) novel or similar things

12. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    This book will be a side-adventure about the exploits of the Corellian strangler.

Also, first page! [face_dancing]

13. AdmirableAckbar

AdmirableAckbar Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2008
    If this is pre-TotJ (a good bit...maybe fifteen-twenty years), or between TotJ and KotOR comics I would be content. Assuming its well-executed, of course.

If it's a retelling of any comics I would not be content. Unless it was fabulously well-executed with no continuity errors.

14. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Whoever decided to describe a KotOR lead-in as "set in the time of the ancient Jedi Knights" needs a kick in the nuts.

15. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Connecting TotJ to KotOR FTW.

16. CountJared

CountJared Jedi Master star 3

May 10, 2000
    My guess is that it's the tie-in novel to the Bioware KotoR MMORPG. Which dampens my enthusiasm to like zero.

17. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Unfortunately, that sounds like a good guess.

Mostly, I hope Irvine consults with JJM to make sure everything comes together smoothly. The last thing we need is more authors playing bumper cars with continuity.

18. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    It is KOTOR? Well, it might be good, might not, but I'm not so interested in it until we learn more. The comics are really all I need for this era at the moment, but if this book is good and doesn't step on any of the comics' toes, more power to it.
    It wasn't about Jeep; according to Stradley, it was an issue with Veitch having used the name in another work. EGTTF, KOTOR CG, the NEC, etc. have shown that they can still be used, though.

19. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Since the KOTOR era hasn't been really explored much I'm very pleased with this announcement. I really don't think this is a retelling of the KOTOR games or comics because TOS would've come right and told us if it was.

20. AdmirableAckbar

AdmirableAckbar Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2008
    It really has been explored an awful lot, to be honest. Did TOS come right out and tell us about PoD retelling JvS? I've no idea but I suspect not.

21. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    A KOTOR era novel, you say? And by a new SW author? Color me intrigued...

22. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    If it's something to do with tying into a video game... yuck.

If not, I'm excited. I just hope it has lost of breathing room and doesn't get stuck working around too much other stuff going on it that era. This also needs to be EPIC. Or else it will further erode that period. I don't want to waste time on some meaningless story. And I want good, exciting characters. And if it is set after TOTJ then I want an acknowledgment of those comics.

Anyone remember when there was a ton of breathing room in SW EU? How did 4000 years suddenly feel like a small amount of time to tell stories it?

23. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Have you read the KotOR comics?

True, in the last four or five years, the timeline has suddenly filled up quite a bit, but there are nice-sized pockets of time (on the order of decades between major stories/events) that still haven't been filled in yet. And considering that both the Tales of the Jedi and KotOR comics only span a few years per series, we're looking at lots of elbow room, here, for other, different things, given the novel's "prequel" status.

Bridging TotJ and the Mandalorian Wars would be the way to go, bringing back in characters like the Sunriders, Tott Doneeta, Sylvar (on Cathar at the end?), et al, and giving us some closure on them. Then again, JJM might yet have plans to do this himself, so either way, there's great potential here for LFL to tie off some of the loose ends.

24. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    I'm not into comics so to me this sounds very interesting! :) I'm not at all familiar with the author though.

25. Admiral_Stone

Admiral_Stone Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2008
    Nice

I hope that this is a sign of growing trend: there are eras other than the PT/OT timelines to write novels in[face_shhh] :p

Does anyone know what Irvine writes like, or writes for that matter?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.