main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Castaways of Endor sees the light of day

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthBroox, Dec 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBroox

DarthBroox Jedi Master star 3

May 22, 2003
    http://www.starwars.com/fans/hyperspace/source/feature20081201.html

I am thrilled by the release of this "cut" story and can only hope other similar material get published.

2. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    AWESOMEISATIONMENTALLYISMICALARIBLEICAL.

3. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    Good article by Dan, that. :)

4. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Very awesome. I hope we start seeing more of these cut articles; I would kill for the full Grand Admirals article.

Also, let's get back that erased material too. o_O

5. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    I suppose this trumps prior claims the Jinda are a subspecies of Ewoks (I hope so)

6. RebelJoseWales

RebelJoseWales Jedi Master star 3

Sep 10, 2008
    Wasn't SoM cut at one time?

7. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    It's both. Jindas are a species, and from them comes the disparaging nickname "Jinda", applied to Ewoks who travel too much. So it covers the Ewok and non-Ewok Jindas.

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    This article is... so trippy... [face_monkey]

9. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    ah, Dan added that in to cover Galaxies. However, it still trumps Encyclopedia, which makes the *real* Jindas be Ewoks.

Too bad the RPG stats didn't get included, but still a good article.

10. ArtyEwok

ArtyEwok LFL Artist star 4 VIP

Mar 18, 1999
    And me :D

I'm glad you guys like it, and I am also sad that the RPG stats got nixed but I was resposible for doing the gaming legwork (as well as part writing). It was 8 years ago, I'll see if I have an archived version of the stats somewhere. They got edited out and the versiomn of the article we submitted has been bounced around via email for the past 8 years.

It even survived a hard drive crash or two.

The force was with us.

11. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    *sighs* Why oh why can´t I get HS...

12. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    Hi -- great to see all the comments on the article! As Amy notes, she's co-writer, not just artist. Amy was responsible for writing the sections on Jindas, Duloks, Phlogs, and Tree Goats (if my memory is correct) as well as contributing bits & pieces throughout.

The way I remember it, we originally intended it for Insider, then repackaged it as a Star Wars Gamer article (with stats and adventure seeds) after it was rejected. Then Gamer ceased publishing. Then we tried to pitch it again to Insider after one of its publisher changes but they passed again. Finally, starwars.com bought it! woot!

We're both fans of the cartoon, so in part it's an in-universe attempt to bring forgotten elements of the cartoon more explicitly into canon.

Dan

13. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    Regarding the Jindas/Ewoks... this is something that came up since Amy and I wrote the first version of this article. When Amy brought the problem to my attention, we researched it. Turns out the 3rd edition of the Guide to the Star Wars Universe says that Bondo is an Ewok, but doesn't say anything about the Jindas themselves (and doesn't even have an entry for Jindas). That's pretty obviously an error rather than a deliberate retcon. I've written these kinds of things -- I know. :)

Treating that as an error would be a simple fix. After all, as Amy noted (when trying to draw the Jindas):
    - Jindas have one more finger than Ewoks
    - Jindas are mostly tall and skinny
    - Jindas do not have visible external ears
    - Jindas have enormous feet
    - Jindas have very broad mouths with two large tusk like upper canines.
    - Jindas have large eyebrow ridges

The problem was that Galaxies apparently uses the in-game Ewok model for "Jindas." At least I think that's the scoop -- I don't play Galaxies and that's what I could find online. Hence the 2nd part of the fix, stating that some nomadic Ewok tribes are known as "Jindas" in a rather disparaging manner by the more traditional, stay-at-home Ewok tribes.

Dan

14. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Amy..was certainly not trying to leave you out...loved your art btw. Stink, I love all your art. I am still hoping to see an Amaran Jedi canonized;)

Dan says you named the choreamnos. I had some questions about that name. First, is "choreamnos" both the canon and plural form. Second, I know the -"amnos" endind is Greek for "lamb" or "goat," but what is the story on the "chore-" prefix?

15. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    Totally my bad, there. Great work to you, as well, Amy. Good artwork, too; I rather enjoyed it!

Nice to know that something can survive so much technological catastrophe to emerge in to the light of day once more. It's things like this that have made my Hyperspace investment worth it. HUZZAH. Great work, both of you! And thanks for dropping by to chat with us about it. :D

16. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Was there anything interesting in the stats, like there was for the Grand Admirals?

:)

17. ArtyEwok

Mar 18, 1999
    Choreamnos (Cho-ray-am-nos) is the plural and singular, Wookieepedia erroniously made Choreamno the singular.

The Chore-prefix came from the latin from the two toed sloth family, which is Choloepus, but Choloamnos was a little too much of a tongue twister so I used some creative license.

Technically, they're Sloth Goats :D

18. ArtyEwok

Mar 18, 1999
    I honestly can't remember XD

I'll have to dig it up. I know Gamer was going to handle most of the abilities, but I had some base stats, if I recall correctly.

And re the poster about Amaran Jedi. if i could make that canon, I totally would.

19. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    I have a copy of the RPG stats from the original article. If Amy and Dan have no objection, I could post it here, as long as that wouldn't vilate any copyrights or anything.

Amy...thanks for clarifying that. I had looked as the Scientific names for sloths, and was really befuddled.

20. DarthBroox

DarthBroox Jedi Master star 3

May 22, 2003
    How?

21. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Wild Space, Rebel Force, Shadows of Mindor, Clone Wars on TV, and now Castaways of Endor too? Can December get any better for EU fans? :)

TC

22. ArtyEwok

Mar 18, 1999
    The RPG stats were lost in one of the crashes. :)

I did find all my prelim art, though, from the original pitch.

23. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006

Ah, ah. Don't forget: The Enyclopedia, too. [face_dancing]

24. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    amy, i can give you the email stats, I still have them on my comp

25. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    I found the cut gaming stats! Those who are interested can review them at this page:

http://danwall88.googlepages.com/"castawaysofendor":gamingstats

Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.