main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    ok, implied worlds from Shadows of Mindor

Pervian blood crow--I haven't found page # yet
    Batravian gumplucker--I haven't found page # yet, but its early in book
    Nomarian thunder shark p 291
    Perthrillian nightwasp p 232
    planet Kindlabethia mentioned like almost first page
    Hrthgingian firegem vaults p 234
    Rhand, in Nihil Retreat, in Perann Nebula, in Unknown Regions--Cronal's homeworld; native humans called "Rhandites", inc the Sorcerers of Rhand
    Klepthian rock otter p 270(?)
    Trigaskian Blur--an area, page?
    Karthrexian glaciers p 165
    the T'kkrpk homeworld
    the "Spirana operation" p. ?
    Traptoforian razorslug p 91
    sentient "Glassferran" species--assumedly from a planet called "Glassferra"?
    Leia, right before Battle of Mindor, negotiated entry into New Republic of a species of hairy arachnoids with humanoid faces who inhabit a "minor star cluster"

ps
    worlds from Wild Space:
    Chanosant--Sep
    Allanteen IV
    Lanos--Republic, taken by Seps
    Korriban--note that although a Commerce Guild stronghold in Jedi Quest, in this book represented as being a Loyalist world, protected from Seps by Eeth Koth (despite the fact older sources had him die at Geonosis!)

2. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    An amusing detail in Vector Prime - not sure anyone's spotted this before?

On pp. 182-184, Kyp and his squadron have moved from Dubrillion to check an "observation buoy" they had installed at a hyperspace junction in the Veragi Sector. The surrounding space is otherwise empty.

The buoy is designed to track ships, looking for smugglers; it finds "a couple of asteroids in areas previously unknown and a few freighters and even a couple of smaller, personal ships, but so far out and moving too fast to even warrant inspection"; and the ExGal-4 shuttle, which Kyp's astromech tracks as originating from Belkadan, "in the nearby Dalnobian sector".

Kyp picks up some fragmented comm chatter from Belkadan reporting on the YV attack, and figures that the shuttle was fleeing trouble, so he wonders why it had hearded to Helska. He wonders why there "and not back toward the Core, or even towards Lando's operations or towards the not-so-distant Moddell sector...."

That's right. In spite of what the map implies, Endor is actually round near the Imperial Remnant....

[face_laugh]

- The Imperial Ewok

3. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    HNN indicates Dalonbian Sector was named after Tobbert Dalonbian, founder of ExGal Society

4. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
  5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I don't think I can aptly say just how incredibly happy I am right now. I'm marking the calendar as I type.
    Mentioning the D'Asta family from CE2. This is why I love Dan Wallace.

6. Vengance1003

Vengance1003 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2006
    "The Twenty Wonders of the Galaxy is a list compiled by the historian Vicendi in 10,000 B.B.Y. for his work Arturum Galactinum, commissioned for the Republic's anniversary."
    Awesome.

7. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    "Planetary Pioneers"--was that a Maverick Moon reference?! This is gonna be awesome. :D

TC

8. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Oh, yeah, this is going to be absolutely stellar (pun intended). D'Asta family mention? Twenty Wonders of the Galaxy? Can't wait for this to come out.

9. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    The D'Astas? YES. Most important never-used thing ever.

10. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    even less used, the D'Asta's cool and as=yet unnamed starfighters--really pretty little things

11. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    I just noticed a reference to "Besteene" in Grievous Attacks!. Is this a new planet, or just a typo for Bestine?

12. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Not quite a typo -- it's spelled that way in the CW scripts, probably to guide the voice actors' pronunciation, and I suspect it accidentally got copied over to the book.

13. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Will "Zaadja" and "Zaddja" be listed as two separate worlds? Apparently they are in the new SW Encyclopedia. Soooooo dumb, up there with "Mrlissi" and "Mrissi". What's next, "Yinchor" and "Yinchorr" being two separate planets? [face_tired]

14. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Funny you should mention listings -- we just locked the appendix.

4,348 star systems and other galactic phenomena, from 23 Mere to Zznza. Let posterity show that the final placement was Pyolli, determined to be in the Seswenna sector. Though I do have one manuscript I didn't get to. Hmm, maybe I could do a quick read and get to 4,350 or so....

ATLAS text locks Thursday. Lots and lots of maps for the (astonishingly excellent) artists to finish and get proofread, but we are actually getting there.

15. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Fantastic work, Jason! A long project, almost come to fruition.

~ Eyrezer

16. Atarumaster88

Atarumaster88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2009
    Indeed. Cool beans, guys. :)

17. JMM

JMM Author: The Forgotten War, SW Fact File star 3 VIP

Jul 9, 1998
    Thanks for the update! Sounds like this is going to be one heckuva book.

18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I don't suppose that Dyspeth made it from the Legacy Campaign Guide to the Atlas? Couple of new planet names, I think, in it.

I just want that round number. :p

Nonetheless, that is awesome news.

19. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Dyspeth made it.

20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Darn. I could throw some of my roleplaying game planets at you if you like? [face_batting]

:p

Non-round numbers surely drive me crazy.

21. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    I'm surprised that the appendix got approved at all. When you see it you'll be struck by how much it reads like a crazyfan checklist. I mean, I LOVE it because I'm wired that way, but I'm little amazed that the seemingly-normal editors at Del Rey actually gave it the green light.

Dan

22. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    You won't find me complaining.:D

23. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
  24. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I cannot wait for this to come out. It sounds like you guys are doing great work!

I have a question about the distance between two planets.

In the fairly crappy map of the galaxy, that probably has 50-100 planets on it, Geonosis and Tatooine are very close to each other, with Tatooine being slightly closer to Coruscant than Geonosis. In Episode II Obi-Wan says he's not able to get a signal through to the Jedi Council, so he sends it to Anakin, whom he thinks is on Tatooine. On Tatooine, Anakin is able to send it perfectly fine, even though they're just a wee bet closer than Obi-Wan. Is the map wrong? Are these seemingly miniscule different lengths just bigger than they look?

Thanks.

Here's the map

[image=http://media.moddb.com/images/groups/1/2/1088/star-wars-galaxy-map1.jpg]

25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I don't think that's an absolute distance problem; that's an issue where Obi-Wan's having trouble with his transmitter and his range is limited by his equipment and possibly specific Geonosis conditions breaking up his signal. Anakin, being nearer than Coruscant, is within his range, and is himself free of any equipment or local problems preventing transmission to Coruscant.