main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jan Duursema Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Jan_Duursema

Jan_Duursema Comic Artist: -AOTC -Legacy -Republic star 4 VIP

May 15, 2001
    Well, that was a fun weekend! I have NEVER seen NYCC that mobbed and have rarely been that busy at a convention! The weekend just flew by--just not enough time for everything I wanted to fit into the days. I didn't have any of the prints or sketches I planned to bring with me because of a total computer breakdown which took all of my 'extra' time for the past two weeks to fix. Maybe next time... So you didn't miss anything, Quest. :)

A big round of thanks to Doug Wangler (Quinlan Vos) and Chip Childress (and his 501st Vader costume--which I never saw because he couldn't make it 3 feet without a photo op and Artist's Alley was on the far end of the room) for making the trek out from the mid-west to attend the show. And another big round of thanks to Thomas Spanos (Ganner Krieg) and his amazing Imperial Knight armor and for being so generous with his time to allow me to photograph him in it.

Great Artist's Alley--lots of Star Wars fans and comic readers stopping by to chat and get books signed. It's so cool to hear how much everyone is liking Legacy so far. Also cool to see some custom figure work and various portfolios. Did I mention there just wasn't time in the day for everything? Even Sunday. It was like the party that didn't want to end! Special thanks to Spencer Beck and his crew for making the Alley so great! You are the best!

What a great time--catching up with old friends, meeting new ones and just having a blast in general! I think I will not talk for 3 days just to get my voice back... (Yeah, like THAT could happen...) :rolleyes:

2. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Sounds like it was a blast! I'd love to make it up to that one sometime. Will you be posting pics anywhere?

3. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    I will be posting pics as soon as I can get them downloaded. I didn't get to leave my table a whole lot, but some got some of folks who were walking by and saying hi!

4. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    The comic-con would be awesome to go to. :)

I just found this thread and wanted to say how much I love your work, Jan. It's beautiful.

- Serena

5. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Truly--NYCC is an AWESOME con!

Thanks, Serena!:cool: If you want to see some of my sketches, stuff that you won't see anywhere else, etc, you can also go to janduursema.com (Part of World Famous Comics.com !)

6. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Jan, that cover for 37 is absolutely incredible! [face_love] Whenever you get a chance, could we maybe get a high res version? It would look soooooo good on a t-shirt. [face_blush] :D

7. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Hi Trace-- You do realize, of course, that it will cost you a Cade badge to get that, don't you? ;p

I'll see if I can send one along to you. :D

8. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    You betcha! I've got one with your name on it. (Figuratively speaking.) :D

9. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Cade badge! =P~

Yay! Thanks, Trace!!

Have fun at the convention! :cool:

10. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Thank you, Jan! It was awesome. :D (We'll be pestering you to come down next. ;))

Oh, and John has your loot. :cool:

11. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Loot? Oh, goodie, I love loot. It wouldn't be graced with an image of anyone I know would it?

12. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    For those of you who have always wondered how a comic comes into being and for those of you who thought they just popped magically into existence...;)

I was just over at the Dark Horse site noticed that they have a new feature. It's call 'making of a comic' and it give the script, pencils, inks, color and lettering for 6 pages of Legacy issue 34. If the link doesn't work for you, you can find it at the DH site under the yellow sidebar that says "features'--making of a comic.

SPOILER WARNING for this feature. If you do not want to see the comic before you actually get it in your hands, don't go to this link. (Or go there after you've read the issue.)

Here's the link:
    http://www.darkhorse.com/Features/Making-of-a-Comic/1014/Making-of-a-Comic-Star-Wars-Legacy-34

Jan

13. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Just some scruffy looking guy with a bad attitude. ;)

And, I gotta tell you, it's real hard to be grouchy about said guy behaving badly when he's walking around wearing a sheet. [face_hypnotized] #34 looks good! Made me grind my teeth a little [face_blush], but it's awfully easy on the eyes. :D

That is so cool!!

14. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    It already looks cool in ink only O.O

15. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Just take out one panel and it's not so bad, right? :cool:

16. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    I will pass that along to Dan--he will greatly appreciate it! :D

17. R_Zion

R_Zion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    Thanks for sharing that featurette, Jan! Not only was it fascinating to see the process from script to final product, but it also filled me in on how you denote that little electric bubble for a transmission in scripting. Gracias! :D

18. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Sure thing! It was pretty interesting to see the process all laid out step by step--even for me--and I've been drawing comics for a long time!

19. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Hi Jan! Sorry if this question doesn't belong here; I know that you've answered a few questions about character ages before and I don't want to bombard you... but I'm really curious about Antares Draco. He seemed like he was a fully-trained Imperial Knight in Legacy 8: Allies, and so I figure he might be 18 - 20 in 130 ABY and 25 - 27 in 137 ABY... only so that his love for Marasiah isn't cradle-robbing. :p But I also wonder if 25 - 27 is old enough to be leader of the IK's...

Did you and John have an age in mind for him when you created him?

20. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Hi Jeff--

We figured that Draco was about 17-18 at the time of the Massacre on Ossus and deposing of Krayt. So that makes him 24-25 within the story now. A good question is why he is leader of the IK at such a young age--and it's a question we have not addressed within the story yet, but we have some ideas.

21. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    Jan, I just read #35. It was pretty darn cool.

I really like how Azlyn's armor still shows her eyes. With Vader, you couldn't see them. I think that by seeing her eyes, she still retains a fair bit of her humanity.

Also, if she wants to die so badly, why doesn't she just take the suit off?

22. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Azlyn was willing to die--to become one with the Force when she knew she was dying, but taking off the suit now that she is in it and it is preserving her life would be committing suicide and she isn't going to go there. Still a good Jedi, she has to take what is given.

23. jedimaster203

Dec 19, 1999
    I thought she was an Imperial Knight :)

But that makes sense. Lovely artwork as normal :)

24. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    She is an Imperial Knight now, but she was trained by the Jedi first. A lot of their values--which are not that dissimilar from the IK's-- still hold for her.:)

25. jedimaster203

Dec 19, 1999
    Jan, you might have answered this question before, but i'm an aspiring artist.

How did you get into comics? did you go to art school (i'm self-trained, for the most part)?