main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Legacy #37: Tatooine, part 1 (of 4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jango_Fettish, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Rulf is probably a shortened form of Ranulf.

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    A really good issue. Loved Deliah's new outfit, but will she ever get some new boots? ;) I wonder what Nieve Gromia knows about Morrigan/Corde and what their relationship has been, and why she was kicked out of Coruscant, probably discovering her corruption. Cade does seem to have mellowed out a little bit. I wonder how Morrigan will treat Gunner, and if she goes to Korriban first. I think Veed is a goner, he will agree to something, probably to be the new Emperor, but enslaved to Wyyrlok. The Anzati and Blood Carver look like interesting new characters, as does this Black Sun Vigo (what is his species??). Nice to see Naxy back too, I was wondering what happened to him, if Cade and Jariah forgot about him in the cargo hold or not! I could definitely see the family resemblance between Gunner and Nyna/Morrigan in this issue.

3. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    That's a really good interpretation of that scene. Maybe he does feel the slightest twinge of guilt over using the Force as a tool to get creds?

Hey, since the Legacy Era Campaign Guide indicates that the IK's use the Force as a tool, maybe Cade can go train with them, like I've been praying for for months. :p

Agreed. A gorgeous shot of Cade with the twin suns in the background, and I can definitely see it being the cover of the trade. Hopefully a four-issue trade, else I'll feel very silly for having bought this issue. [face_mischief] I know that Issue #41 might be some sort of Tatooine epilogue, but here's to selfishly hoping that it's the start of a whole new arc. [face_praying]

I totally thought the exact same thing --- of that gorgeous shot of the three in Issue #2 of Broken, and how the same thing was kicking off Act II. All three characters looked more mature and hardened, yet still in the same mindset that they were before they got involved in wider galactic affairs. Really great stuff by Jan right there.

Agreed. A really good chess board setup, and with all of the double-crossing that's already going on, it'll be very, very interesting to see how it all pans out, especially when ghost-Luke shows up. [face_peace] A really good use of Naxy, really cool-looking Assassins (Anzati are fascinating. I'm not a vampire fanboy at all, but that was one hot vampire chick. I hope that they get to drink at least someone's soup), and a very intriguing new Moff. I also really like that this arc isn't limiting itself entirely to Tatooine --- hopefully we can be privy to the Wyyrlok-Veed meeting on Coruscant next issue. I also loved that we got to see quite a bit of Veed and Calixte, after seeing a mere two panels of them in their long-awaited return in Storms.

Yeah! Sounds good! I loved it too!

All in all, a really cool setting-up issue, that also promises some more depth from Cade in regards to his use of the Force. It's like ordering garlic bread, but instead of being covered with cheese, it's covered with just a pinch of the main course, which is something really fascinating, like elk meat! Man I can't wait to eat the elk meat when the waiter brings it. But the waiter won't be bringing it for another month. What a weird restaurant.

4. Strika23

Strika23 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    Amazing issue overall!

I loved the art, two thumbs up!

Very interesting set up for the next three issues to come. There was a lot of underused species being used this issue, so thumbs up on that as well. (Houk, Rybet, Blood Carver, Muun, Nautolan, Cathar and Azanti). It was good to see a new moff, a female one at that. I hated Nyna being the only known female moff. We got two in the mix now, and they dont seem to like each other.

Gunner= awesomeness!

I'm interested to see the meeting with Veed and Wyyrlok, morrigan and Gunner meeting each other, and to see what this new moff knows about morrigan.

Deliahs new clothes were very nice btw! I got sick of seeing her in the same outfit. She definately has some style, hopefully she can get her "new boots" afterall lol.

5. Vrook_Lamar

Vrook_Lamar Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2008
    Isn't that usually spelled as "Niamh"? Actually means "bright" in Irish (according to wikipedia).

6. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I say the dirt that Moff Gromia has on Corde is that she knows Morrigan is Cade's mom. If it were something so explosive as her knowing Corde is Calixte, she'd have exploited that info by now. Or died trying [face_skull]

7. Jan_Duursema

Jan_Duursema Comic Artist: -AOTC -Legacy -Republic star 4 VIP

May 15, 2001
    No and no, but her name comes from a word and is descriptive of her cold personality.

8. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    [face_thinking]

Is it pronounced \niv\ ? like ?knife?? (Guess the board code won't let us use vowel symbols, but that "i" would sound like "eye.")

9. ThisIsMadness91

ThisIsMadness91 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 19, 2009
    I haven't seen the issue yet, but thinking about issue 39's mention of a new Emperor, maybe Wyyrlok offers Veed the throne in exchange for silence and obedience?

10. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Nieve is Spanish for snow.

11. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Wyyrlok already has Veed's obedience. And Veed so far is going into the meeting with nothing on Krayt. It would be interesting if Veed is able to obtain some intelligence going in.

12. Jan_Duursema

Jan_Duursema Comic Artist: -AOTC -Legacy -Republic star 4 VIP

May 15, 2001
    Right! The Schwartz is strong in this one. [face_dancing]

13. Magnuskn

Magnuskn Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    Ahahahahaa! That was funny. :p Cade wouldn´t last ten minutes without getting into a serious fight with the "Duty-before-everything-else" IKs. Sorry, but his life philosophy is absolutely and completely incompatible with what they are about. They are very Lawful Neutral, with a tendence to Lawful Good in some ( Ganner, for example ). Cade definitely is Chaotic Neutral at the moment. Not compatible, not at all.

As for this issue, the Imperials are growing on me, I must really say. I mean, Nyna/Morrigan definitely, but also Veed. He is a backstabbing gornt, but he is kinda cool about it. Gunner is yet a bit of a cipher, but I am sure John and Jan are working on it in this arc. No kissing half-brothers, though! ^^ Moff Yage is also kinda neat, in his own way. More of them!

The usual crew... Cade is really, really needing that swift kick to his behind he so desperately has been begging for lately, with all his selfish actions. I hope it is applied forcefully by Gunner, Morrigan, Luke and about everybody around him. Geeze. I cut the guy a lot of slack in the last months, but his "mememememe!" act is getting really tiring, really fast.

Syn and Deliah... I hope it doesn´t develop into something serious. I liked Syn with Ahnah much more. I hope we see her and Bantha and Droo again soon. :_|

14. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    If it happens (which I'm hoping), I'm not so much expecting there to be any offer going down as much as Veed just getting the, um, "honour" of being the first to be subjected to forceful conversion into the ranks of One Sith. Remember what Wyyrlok said a couple of issues back, about wanting to proceed to the next stage and turning the entire galaxy into Sith?

There'd be a delicious irony in Veed finally getting what he wanted all along, with Wyyrlok making himself out as the "nice" Sith Lord compared to Krayt... and Veed, obviously, not having a clue what he's signing up for. It'd be very cool to see Veed painted up with Sith tats and proclaiming the glories of the Sith. The previously sceptical and potentially rebellious Moff suddenly embracing the light (or should that be dark? :p) and calling for the entire Imperial fleet to accept the truth of the New Order.

Much better twist in my opinion than simply "Wyyrlok takes the throne" (which wouldn't be a twist, and would explain the rather veiled pre-release info we've been given, as well as add to the benefit of delaying the new coronation to make such a twist more unexpected). Plus it'd mean when Veed comes back from Korriban he won't be much help to Nyna with any insider info...or maybe he will, but will trick her into being captured... [face_whistling]

It'd also nicely define Wyyrlok as seriously karked out of his head, much moreso than Krayt ever was. [face_mischief]

And if Veed places Nyna in trouble... Cade may suddenly be forced to snap out of it and realise either he stops running away and gets off his behind and does something, or he watches his mother be killed by the Sith as well. He's already lost one parent; the other one being in danger might be what is needed to finally force the kid to get over himself. Thus their meeting in the current arc might turn out to have serious repercussions... :D

Legacy could use something big to shake things up for "Act Two"... the Sith Imperials getting the schutta scared out of them and being subjected to conversion a la the Necromongers would certainly do the trick. :p

15. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    The Imperial military and ex GA bureaucracy would probably run to Fel and Stazi for help at that point. The Sith themselves aren't too popular in the Imperial military for obvious reasons and suddenly requiring everyone to get tatoos would probably paralyze the Sith Empire well like, forever.

The Sith would be better served by building up their own private military force and government organs rather than relying on Imperial and Alliance personnel.

16. Vrook_Lamar

Vrook_Lamar Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2008
    The problem with using a word as a name that's already a name with a differant origin.

Darn, I stopped making sense somewhere.

17. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, that's what forced indoctrination would essentially constitute. Wyyrlok is no fool and almost certainly recognises that the Sith are not beloved by the military... and he also is familiar with backstabbing. He probably doesn't much want the Veeds of the Sith Empire to do to him what he did to Krayt. Necromongering the lot of them would fix that in a jiffy, and transform the Imperial military into the private Sith military.

But, yeah, it probably would cause a lot of the military to suddenly want to run back to Fel, which would throw the storyline into its next arc. I think the problem with the One Sith is there can be no "Endor" moment where the Dark Lord gets slain and that's that. As there are thousands of them this time I don't think they're going to solely be defeated in battle, but by turning the galaxy itself against their new dark overlords.

The main question mark would be how public they do it or whether they just keep discretely carting people off to Korriban until they'd fully converted the lot of them. Though, when Wyyrlok talks about indoctrinating the whole galaxy, I'm not sure there is any way to really keep that under wraps... he made it sound like everyone, everywhere, on every planet will be getting hauled to their local conversion clinic whether they want to or not (though it might be he initially used Veed to convince people to voluntarily do it, i.e. Veed coming back from Korriban and going "You should all do this too!").

What I'd love to see though were the Imperial Mission being turned into the Sith Mission--which would be a very sick minded twist, and give the Mission a central narrative purpose beyond being mostly background fluff--and the centres all over the galaxy being turned into conversion centres.

While I'd love that to involve tattooing the galaxy up... I concede that the main reason I'm a little iffy is I don't know how that'd work when Legacy is finished. The entire population of Coruscant saved from the Sith Empire... but still forever forced to spend the rest of their lives covered in red paint and Sith tattoos? :p

For that reason, it may be a less in your face conversion process to avoid the rather silly post-Legacy "red galaxy"... though presumably Wyyrlok will start with the military and the politicians (i.e. Moffs etc) first, so that'd give room for him to be defeated before he got around to totally indoctrinating entire planetary populations.

18. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    The Imperial Mission turning Sith would also cause Rus to go running back to Fel (he might be content with changing the boss, but the charter is almost certainly a no no).

The problem with turning the Imperial military and Alliance bureaucrats is that those are long standing institutions with lots of traditions, ethos, espirit de corps and sense of identity. A Sith private military and administration built from the ground up would have none of that baggage.

19. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, Rus would go running back... if he hadn't been Necromongered himself first. :p

If Veed does come back from Korriban converted, I can see the Moffs being the next to go, which would probably result in a split with half of them getting converted, the other half fleeing back to Fel.

20. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    I suspect John and Jan will let that plotline develop slowly along the course of Tatooine, and then asplodify afterward. we haven't seen the solicity for #42 yet, which ought to be somewhat informative when it comes out, or so I'd imagine.

Decent start to the arc, and interestingly this issue actually felt a good deal more like some light-hearted fun (though with some hints at the dark side of things) than most any other issue in Legacy has.

I'm still not nearly as hooked by Cade, et al as I was a year ago, and while I'm playing this arc out and keeping an eye on solicits for afterward, I'm not sure whether I'll keep actively buying this if it doesn't seriously hook me. Especially because I'll be buying Invasion pretty soon...

21. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Yeah...I know what you're saying.

That's why I'm really eager for something big to happen. I'd really hoped Krayt's death was going to be that... but so far it's just been "business as usual". Sure, eventually it will get discovered, but right now we just seem to be in limbo waiting for that discovery to happen.

This is why I want Wyyrlok to start being, well, Wyyrlok and not just Krayt Jr. He can keep up the pretence Krayt is dead and still be his own man and behave appreciably different. Converting the Imperial fleet into the Sith fleet I feel would do that. So far though it just doesn't feel as if Krayt's death has really meant much.

The "Mother in danger!" story I feel would smack the much needed sense into Cade. It's not that I don't feel Cade works as a character; I just don't really see where this can go. Like him or loathe him, he is the hero of this story, and there is no other. If this was KOTOR, then a character like Cade would be fine--we don't expect Zayne to be the hero of the Mandalorian Wars; that story has already been told, if Zayne does turn out to be Nihilus or something equally tragic it doesn't actually matter. But with Legacy, this is all new, so Cade has to be the one who eventually defeats the bad guys to one day conclude the series.

Or, if not Cade, then someone else, but I can't say after nearly 40 issues I'd really want to have to establish a whole new character all over again--and I'd be worried about the sales figures justifying it either, which would put the story at risk of never being concluded, or ending up rushed. This is why I really want there to be something big happen in his life, which I think the threat of losing his second parent would be. And if what happened was Nyna was put in danger, and Gunner called Cade up to help her save her mum, and Cade did that... only to come face to face with his mother, Morrigan, then we could have quite an interesting sequence of events coming up. The reader would easily enough see them all coming, but there are so many possible ways for character development rather than simply Cade running around to do some more complaining.

For now though I just think Krayt's death needs to have achieved something we don't see coming. Wyyrlok just crowning himself Emperor isn't something we don't see coming and for me would just be a "meh" moment, since it could easily have just taken place off screen and not been a big deal. What I want to see is a "New Order" of the total Sith extremist brushing aside the more moderate half-Jedi/half-Sith regime of Krayt. All of which can then play into the whole born Sith/recruited Sith stigmatisation, as well as the neurotic loyalty of Talon.

I'm sure all of that will happen and I'm not going to stop buying it... I just am feeling with Legacy the same thing I felt after Haazen was defeated until the last couple of months with KOTOR. These last six months for both series have been kind of slow, Rebellion has been axed, Dark Times has only just restarted, Invasion isn't quite out...

It's kind of depressing that lately I've been looking forward to the really cruddy TOR comic the most... [face_plain]

I suppose what I'm saying is I'd rather we hadn't been hit with a slowdown in every series all at once. I think that's my biggest gripe currently. There's been too many times recently when nothing special has happened in either of the main series in a given month. The only series that seem to have done much lately are the Clone Wars ones and... eugh. Had Krayt and Haazen not both been axed at roughly the same time, I expect a lot of the slowdown sentiment would be a lot less pronounced.

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh no it won't! Have you forotten what John's trick on solicits where post-major arc issues are concerned is? It'll be a story about what's gone on at Mon Calamari, or what Stasi's been doing. Anything but: Following the (insert explosive revelation here) shown in Tatooine, the adventure continues etc...

And in a way this issue really shows off Legacy's strength in its large cast, because those characters cut down the amount of space for Cade, Syn and Blue - who are, by and large, the weakest part of the issue. Cade's giving the name Luke Skywalker, which Muz gives in turnto the Vigo, who instantly sees it as bull, is quite simply dumb. He might as well stick up a sign saying: HALFWIT IS HERE.

But the other stuff - with Veed being summoned to a meeting with Wyrrlok on Korriban, the assigning of Gunner Yage to the mission to investigate the piracy and her being ordered to rendezvous on Tatooine with Corde, the clear implication of Gorima and Corde having a past history and Black Sun becoming more active in the story - we've enough going on here for more than one issue yet Legacy does do all this in one set of 22 pages.

As for the art, Jan's clearly brought her A-game to bear, as it's page after page of excellent visuals.

23. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    If I were to guess, I'd say Gromia probably doesn't know about the Corde/Calixte connection yet, but might find out over this arc. If she does, I would also guess she's not long for this galaxy.

I do find it somewhat amusing that Veed's usual plotting, backstabbing ways are making him more likable while Cade's have the opposite effect. Expectations color opinion, it seems.

24. Kicker

Kicker Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 9, 2007
    ok, so I've read through the issue, I'd say it's probly one've the best visually so far, I liked it, an to John or Jan; was that a lightsaber in the male Anzati's hand?
    and to everyone else; why hasn't anyone else said anything about it?!
    this might be a big clue for the next 2 issues!

25. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Wow! I always like Jan's art but it was really something special this issue! Near-perfect. I wish every Star Wars comic looked like this. =D=

In fact, the entire issue was just awesome. Nice to see Cade and Co. back to basics. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.