main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Oops. Well, that cat's out of the bag. May not be a Hyperspace feature, though. TBD.

2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
  3. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003

Try not to be too hard on yourself; that's been known about for about, what, a month? Maybe two? We've already been expecting it. The question is: how long till we can see it, and what kind of Xim material can we look forward to seeing? No need for specifics, please, lest the implant LFL put in your head is set off. :)

4. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    What he said. [face_dancing][face_dancing]

5. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I finally realized what's been bugging me about the Triellus. What made you decide to put Tatooine on it instead of the 5709-DC Shipping Lane (Star Wars Technical Journal Volume 1, pg. 37)?

6. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Ha, I'd forgotten about that. Explains why so much space in the Atlas was devoted to the Xer/Xim campaigns. Not that I was complaining, mind you. [face_dancing]

7. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003

So much space?! How about not enough! At least, it seems there wasn't enough for the writer's taste, if they're actually gonna do an online supplement. THAT, I won't complain about, so long as it's possible that there's more to come after that...

8. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Wow, wow, wow! Just got a phonecall that my copy of the Atlas is waiting for me at the bookstore. Time to stop reading the foot notes and get into it!

9. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Am I just missing it, or was Miko omitted from the appendix?

Edit: I'm also not seeing Bassadiir (in the Tangiir system) or the Duluth system.

Edit2: Or Linholm.

Edit3: Or Viska, in the Tolaniisi system.

10. Brett_Bass

Brett_Bass Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2003
    Precious moments getting a plane...wasted in empty typing!

11. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Miko is listed under Sorella; the Viska are a species native to Rordak. The other two are from sources dubbed not "geographically canon" according to the rule of thumb we worked out with LFL.

12. Plaristes

Jul 2, 2007
    Really? I thought James King, having worked for WEG, counted under your criteria. Or was it because he was an artist, not a writer?

Anyway, Viska is a planet in Voyages 11.

What about Af'El? That should count, right? Or the unnamed planet in Challenge 65?

Edit: Oops, I just noticed that Challenge 65 is another James King article.

13. JMM

JMM Author: The Forgotten War, SW Fact File star 3 VIP

Jul 9, 1998
    From the Marvel stories I noticed there's no Gamandar and Telfrey, BUT I believe they're other planets in the same system as Iskalon, so I suppose they're all included in that one dot.

I'm assuming this follows for any other planets in the same system.

14. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Edit: Just found this, under Endor...
    "(Reports that the gas giant vanished in a cataclysm are false, and have become known as the 'Endor Moon Hoax.')" [face_laugh]

:confused: It's under the system name, Ka'Dedus.

15. Plaristes

Jul 2, 2007
    Thanks. I missed that. [face_peace]

16. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    Quick question for Jason/Dan: Is there intended to be any connection between Xim's father Xer VIII (or any previous Xers) and the Pre-Republic Library of Xer on Criton's Point from the Pentastar Alignment article from the old Adventure Journals, which was said to have been built right around the same time of 26,000 BBY? Heckuva coincidence if it wasn't...

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm unsure how likely that is. The X-wing novels and the Atlas seem to indicate that the Rebel headquarters was mobile, housed inside Home One and other important cruisers. This fits that other statement pretty well, I think.

[b]McEwok[/b]: [i][blockquote]They're not sovereign, but they're the suffects of the delegates of the sovereign people. And with that in mind, my memory of DESB is that the Moffs didn't ask the advisors to form part of the electoral college; they insisted that if people were electing a new Emperor in the Senate building, they felt they had a right to attend - and they got their way...
    [/quote]

They did ask to be included, yes, but the advisors refused them proportional voting--suggesting that they were the ones with the authority to grant the conditions of the election. Further, the advisors were to sit as a "legislative body" to approve the decisions of the new emperor. In other words, they are holding the position formerly held by the Senate--not the mofference.

[i][blockquote]* The Emperor's/Imperial Ruling Council/Circle - this is a horrible mess, but it's perhaps easiest to think of it as one body with a number of names, as there's no clear evidence for factions: the names "Cabal" and "Emperor's Ruling Circle" are associated with the group - perhaps a majority - who followed Ars Dangor after Endor, and who also - still led by Dangor - were behind the reconquest of Coruscant afer Bilbringi. I'm curious what canon Jello has to show they backed Thrawn, too, though - beyond the new references to the D'Astas, who're part of the Council through this period, supporting him... [/i][/blockquote]

It's DESB--the "squabbling ministers" put aside their differences and put Thrawn in charge as a figurehead.

As for the names, I do think of it as one body--sort of: the IRC being the legitimate regency council prior to Endor, and the ERC consisting of those plus new powerbrokers in an attempt to outrank Pestage's claim to the throne (hence their name change, to more explicitly indicate they are to hold regency).

[i][blockquote]However, after Isard's coup, the Council survived as a functional quorum: Abel and the Crimson Empire backstory establish that the Imperial Ruling Council continued, with Feena D'Asta (or rather her Black Sun clone) deputizing for her father from before Dark Empire, Sarcev Quest letting Pestage go and eventually steering the group, and Carnor Jax appointed as Supreme Commander after Thrawn; heck, Nefti and Sa-Di were apointed to the group by Palpatine, which shows it remained in formal existence right through Dark Empire...[/i][/blockquote]

This is a problem though--the IRC/ERC consists mostly of advisors with a few powerbrokers, and the presense of Quest is noted as a new sort of thing with darksiders entering the upper echelons.

But Jax's IIRC seems to be a fundamentally different group--a batch of conspirators and the like, hardly the Emperor's favorites.

[i][blockquote]Is the idea that the Remnant was entirely inside the Alignment explicit? [/i][/blockquote]

The eight sector Remnant? Yes, it's shown in a map. Before Pelly got his butt kicked, though, it was much larger.

re: Yaga Minor and Serenno though, you raise good points.

[i][blockquote]My real concern is more that placing Yaga Minor inside Pentastar Alignment space (if that's what's been done) might create a series of linked continuity issues: does that fit with w

18. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Dan and Jason, I just want to give you a gigantic bear hug. This book is absolutely awesome. In the literal sense of the word. I especially like the War maps and the Film maps. Also, everything else...especially the appendix. It boggles the mind how anyone was able to put that together. You guys deserve some kind of award for this.

Thank you. Thank you very much.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Brett:
    Noteworthy, also, is that we were completely right all along about there being an Empire proper that continued to function outside the Deep Core following Palpatine's last gasp...

Except "true Empire" is in quotes, and the conspirators of the IIRC really are just the last credible gasp of the Imperial state.

McEwok:
    So is Kaine's border close enough to Yaga Minor/Ord Trasi to fudge the issue?

Sadly, no.

But Pelly's an idiot. His one major shipyard comment is equivalent to a single SSD bankrupting the Empire. Ignore him, and all works just fine. :p

Nick:
    I think they also moved up the date of Anaxes joining the New Republic. It occurs in 8 ABY, the same year Kuat and the majority of major Core worlds all become part of the New Republic. It is also interesting to note that the commander of Anaxes, Osted Wermis, chose to support the NR when Zsinj was finally defeated. Of course, Anaxes value's it's role as "Defender of the Core", so it isn't that suprising that the world always joins the dominant government.

Moved up? CatCW didn't really give it any firm chronology at all, and it makes sense Anaxes would move on with Wukkar, Kuat, etc.

However, it is tremendously surprising, given Anaxes' role. I suppose Wermis thought to sacrifice his honor for the sake of protecting the rest of the Core--yet he could have done much better simply sitting on the Perlemian like that. I suppose dealing with counterrevolutionaries was worth it to avoid further damage, as with the Rebel brutality on Coruscant and Brentaal.

Per the Atlas, Pellaeon thought that the idea was "mad" and said so, though he eventually acquiesced in the hope that a few Imperial victories would convince the Moffs so seek peace with the NR rather than continue the war.

He is more of a coward than I imagined.

For me, the most interesting new information is that Pellaeon didn't want to attack the New Republic. And it is yet another example of why all Moffs should probably be dropped out the nearest airlock.

Typical Rebel fascism--murdering people because their opinions are unsatisfactory. Remind me how long it was before your movement allowed the democratic election of loyalists to public office? O how Princess Leia complained!

myron:
    As a side note, I just caught the implication in the title of Borsk Fey'lya's book...

Indeed. That amused me so.

There, caught up. Now to read the endnotes...

20. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Minor errors in the Kalee entry - Tovarskl is listed as in the same system and yet has a different location on the map than Kalee; also, it's stated as an "Outer Rim" world in the text, but has it listed as being in "Wild Space" in the Index.

21. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    So E.T is an Imperial and still a part of Roan Fel's Empire to this day:p One Sith beware!

22. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    Yes, and good catch. I created the name Xer (I think for the New Essential Chronology?) as a specific nod to the library of Xer, and also because it seemed to fit with Tionese naming conventions so well. Nothing has been established beyond that however.

Dan

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Heh, just read both endnotes. Far from being upset with the stereotyping, I think it works quite well. [face_laugh]

I also appreciate the lengths taken to keep the WEG conception of the galaxy in mind.

24. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    Dan and Jason, I'm noticing even more "-ooine" planets in the book. Mantooine, Sestooine, Heptooine, Aplooine? But weren't you considering doing a little sidebar about the origin of all the "-ooine" names on planets? Or perhaps the origin of all the "-aan" names as well? I could have sworn suggesting that many months ago and you thinking there might be something to that idea. Did you ever give the matter some thought?

25. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Yeah, the -ooine idea went by the boards, alas. Maybe we can take it up down the line.

Having a single entry for each system in the Appendix definitely makes some things difficult to find, particularly since determining which name to use was more art than science. Maybe it's something we can address online at some point.