main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars: Lostworlds

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Mar 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Yeah the interview (which is located at tfn's interviews section) is a couple years old. Man, i feel so bad that i confused you all. Oh well...

2. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    It's fine.

Plus, you've nabbed the 100th post, Mavrick...:)

3. Ana Vitorrian

Ana Vitorrian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 2, 1999
    My understanding from WEG way back before the role-playing license changed hands was that three products were submitted to LFL that have not been published to date:

SWAJ# 16
    SWAJ# 17
    The X-wing Rogue Squadron Sourcebook

I see the two SWAJ's mentioned in the above postings. I don't see the X-wing Sourcebook though. Rumor was that Stackpole had an original short-story in that Sourcebook - I've never been able to confirm that from Mike Stackpole himself.

Take care all!!!

P.S.

Andy Mangels wrote a follow-up short story to "Twin Engines of Destruction" that was submitted for publication in the SWAJ's. It was turned down by WEG apparently, but Andy Mangels was still optimistic that it might be published someday.

There's lots of unpublished stories out there!!! I'll try and come back to this later. :)

4. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    As you will notice, somewhere in the first 2 pages, the x-wing source book was mentioned, and it's in the lost world's doc, as we speak. I hope you are happy, :).

5. Ana Vitorrian

Mar 2, 1999
    Heh, heh!

I didn't realize there was more than one page of postings!!!! My bad! Thanks, Valiento!

I'll go back and read them! Did anyone put in the Blackthorne Comics Star Wars #4 which was completed but never published? Probably so . . . so I'll go find out!!!

6. Ana Vitorrian

Mar 2, 1999
    Great post Valiento!

Those three WEG products that have already been talked about here should be the only three that were completed and submitted to LFL for approval.

I think it's safe to guess that several other products were in various stages of development and/or planning.

For example, there has always been thoughts towards a multiproduct campaign taking place in the Corporate Sector. Depending on how well Cracken's Threat Dossier had performed in terms of sales, WEG might have produced more products along those lines.

Whoops, I gotta go! Later!

7. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Thanks, Ana, :).

8. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    What was this Blackthorne comic about? Sounds intriguing, seeing as how I did the summaries of two Blackthorne comics for TimeTales as well. :)

9. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Actually, both SW 3D # 4 and 5 were written but never published.

10. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    I think we may have them in Timetales . . . I can't remember, will have to check.

Are they English?

11. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Actually that is the thing about lostworlds, most of them were written but never published, ;). At least a few prototype prints were made for many of them.

12. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    We do have them. The Blackthorne comics I have are English, so I presume the Fourth is English, too.

13. Ana Vitorrian

Mar 2, 1999
    Regarding the Blackthorn Comic # 4, unless I'm mistaken, there should be an advertizement for it in Blackthorn Comic # 3 - I believe it's a Lando Calrissian cover.

I don't know anything about the content of that particular book.

If anyone has a chance, revisit the Star Wars Galaxy Collector magazines, (I'm guessing #3 or #4), there's a nice article by Rich Handley entitled "Comics That Almost Were." He does throw out some novel info, (minor, minor, minor), but I think everybody has those covered here.

For example, in the Handley article, I think I've read more in that article on the "Specter of Thrawn" comic series by Stackpole (that was to have taken place inbetween the Hand of Thrawn novels), than I've read anywhere else. There's also commentary on two different formats for the cancelled "Lightsider" series and some comments on Marvel Comics that didn't happen for one reason or another. However, I think one of those cancelled Marvel Comics proposals did eventually reach publication - albiet, and most likely, with an entirely different storyline in the form of the Crimson Empire storylines.

The Handley article is nice for those seeking additional "Lost Worlds" so-to-speak.

14. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    Well, we pretty much covered that.

Marvel doing Kir Kanos? That would've been cool to see.

15. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Well Dark Empire was originally going to be released in Marvel Epic line, it's interesting to hear that Crimson Empire has just as interesting a past.

16. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    With a similar name, too. Just different color. :)

17. Ana Vitorrian

Mar 2, 1999
    1) Let me clarify because I don't know the full story on this particular subject. I don't think Marvel had any proposals regarding the specific character "Kir Kanos" - but there was a proposal regarding a particular Imperial Royal Guardsman and his story - that proposal was from one of the creators of Crimson Empire, (kinda like that whole Yinchorr(sp?) thing coming from Marvel to DHC - it's from that same creator's ideas!!!!), who eventually developed those ideas from the Marvel proposal into what became the Kir Kanos and Crimson Empire storylines.

Does that make a little bit more sense? Well, not really, but anyways, Rich Handley talks about it in "Comics That Almost Were."

2) Somewhat off topic: somewhere in either the Star Wars Insider, (I'm pretty sure it's in here), the Star Wars Galaxy Collector or Star Wars Galaxy Magazine - there was a real nice article about Crimson Empire I, Crimson Empire II and Crimson Empire III. At that time, Crimson Empire III was conceptually directed towards a storyline where Kir Kanos sought revenge against his final target, Luke Skywalker. (i.e., First part, revenge against the betrayer of the Royal Guard; Second part, revenge against the Council Members that conspired against the Emperor; Third part, revenge against the subject most directly responsible for the Emperor's death). I don't think we'll ever see that in the final, approved Crimson Empire III storyline involving Luke . . . but I was excited about the concept.

I'm betting that that CE article is in a Star Wars Insider published somewhere between 1996 and 1999 in an article by Pete Janes.

18. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    I included Crimson Empire III in Lostworlds, but I guess I'll expand it a bit.

19. wampa

wampa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Sorry Ana, but you are wrong. They originally intended Crimson Empire to be:

1) Kir Kanos goes head-to-head with Carnor Jax
    2) He goes up against Skywalker
    3) He finishes off the Interim Council

If you read the article or I think in the letters column in CE it says so.

I think they cancelled the whole Luke thing because that has been done with Mara Jade, another servant of the Emperor.

Now they have no enemies for Kanos (Sinn's traitor, Jax, Grappa, and others are dead). Plus their one mysterious character, Nom Anor, was grabbed by Del Rey and fleshed out as a Vong instead of whatever he was intended to be. My guess and hope is CE III is cancelled, and Stradley was just content to make JC-AoW.

20. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    But Kir Kanos still remains a loose end, with so much promise between him and Mirith. Hey, Dark Horse can always make another storyline.

21. Ana Vitorrian

Mar 2, 1999
    1) Hey Wampa! Yeah, I don't like when I have my facts mixed up, but in this case you're right! I have my facts mixed up!!! What can I say . . . it turns out I was riding off memory from 1998 . . . and I suffered the mistakes of not fact checking b/f I post!!!

The article I was thinking of was in Star Wars Insider # 36 and titled "Crimson Empire" by Bob Cooper, (I even credited the wrong person! Sorry Bob!!!)

Here's the pertinent quote @ page 65:
    "I [Mike Richardson] patterned Crimson Empire after the Japanese tale of forty-seven Ronin - not in the story itself, but in the quest for revenge. How I see it in the first Crimson Empire series is that it deals with laying out the groundwork and its interaction with the initial characters, with actually somewhat of a tragic ending to the first series. I see it as a trilogy: the second part being the quest for Luke Skywalker - for his part in the death of the Emperor; the third part, the revenge on the ruling counsel. It'll be a story-cycle that takes them through personal discovery, great adventure, and intrigue in the Empire itself. And ultimately the opportunity for revenge, where Kir Kanos finds himself."

2)For those that are interested, "Comics That Almost Were' by Rich Handley was published in Star Wars Galaxy Collector #4.

Here's the quote on the Imperial Guard @ page 30 regarding proposals to Marvel:

"[Randy] Stradley's premises sound intriguing, especially one pitting Luke against the Imperial Royal Guard who sought revenge for the death of the Emperor. At the time, Stradley was told that Lucasfilm had put those characters "off limits" - a restriction apparently lifted when he and [Mike] Richardson used the Imperial Royal Guard in Crimson Empire."

Take care everybody, I'm out of town for three days, so I might not post again for awhile!

Ana V

22. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    Very interesting info. Thanks, Ana.

23. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Ana...

I've actually got the skinny on the Rogue Squadron Sourcebook from its creator, Eric Trautmann (we're both long-time members of a SWRPG list). He answered in reference to the sourcebook to dispel any rumors regarding its presumed existence:

>Past that, I heard through the grapevine that the Rogue Squadron SB made it
    >out of WEG alive and is still floating around lost somewhere in this world
    >in the form of a CD-ROM with all the text. Don't bother emailing me and
    >asking where I heard this because I won't tell you.

"Heh.

Actually, the data on the CD was corrupted and we didn't know it at the
    time, so the CD-ROM that escaped WEG's decimation contains garbage data.

Sigh.

Pieces of the sourcebook are still lying around my house, but mostly
    unedited -- and frankly, terrible -- work I had banged out and repaired in
    later versions."

So, yes, it kind of existed, got ruined and now only exists in some older version which will never see the light of day. Artwork for the proposed book was up on some Rogue-Squadron-oriented site I know, however.

24. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    Yes, on Joe Corroney's. Good chunks of it. Y'know, no matter how crappy the info--"ahem"--we could still have some use for it...

By the way, Genghis, could you provide me with Battle for Mandalore? Nathan is in need of some help.

25. Ana Vitorrian

Mar 2, 1999
    Thanks Genghis12!

That's too bad about the X-wing Sourcebook. :(

Hopefully, Wizards will revisit the concept in the future, (or at least give us something addressing Mike Stackpole's and Aaron Allston's work!)

Hope Eric Trautmann is doing well! His contributions to the SW EU were awesome!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.