main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    now I want a character named Resh Dorn!!! it sounds heroic.. badass... it sounds so R2 ;) it sounds evil

2. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    They obviously use the English alphabet too; we saw it on the Death Star tractor beam controls. :p

Also, an X-wing looks nothing like the letter Xesh.

3. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Okay, okay, sorry.8-} Just ignore what I said about Jenth-19. Come to think of it, I do think I remember an article on the Wook where it stated that High Galactic was supposed to be along the lines of Latin, and used English letters. And some older alphabets do still get used today (Greek). Still, it's kind of odd.
    I stand by the first part of my post.[face_mischief]

4. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I don't recall it being stated anywhere yet that High Galactic used the Latin alphabet, but the Wook DOES have an article on the Latin alphabet in Star Wars.

It sure would be really neat if some author somewhere made that High Galactic connection official, though.

5. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    I recall that connection already being made, too. I think it was either Abel Pena or someone else in a minor article for insider or hyperspace.

6. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    If anyone could find that information, it would be of great interest to me. To my knowledge, the only direct reference to the Latin alphabet made in an official source was in Insider 90's Ask the Master, where Pablo Hidalgo writes, "Well, actually, they do use the Roman alphabet in the Star Wars universe. It appears that multiple alphabets are in common use, as is evidenced by the existence of names and terms such as R2-D2, attack pattern Delta, Lambda-class shuttle, Aleph-class starfighters, and others stemming from the more visible Aurebesh written script."

7. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    That's weird, I could have sworn it was Aruebesh the last time I watched the DVD... ;) :p

TC

8. Taral-DLOS

Taral-DLOS Jedi Master star 3

Jun 29, 2009
    Are there any thoughts/plans to making like a poster-quality and -sized map at some point? Like, perhaps for Hyperspace members, having one Galactic map, showing as many star systems as is possible on something that large (I'm thinking on the scale of 3-4 feet to a side, if printed professionally). With the obvious divisions of regions (Deep Core, Core Worlds, etc.), and the most relevant other governments visible (e.g. Hutt Space, Corporate Sector, Hapes Consortium, Imperial Remnant ca. 42 ABY, Centrality, plus any more that get more depth later, ie Tion, Tapani, etc.)

Just basically an as-large-as-possible map for us geeks to put on our wall. My boss has advised me to decorate my office, and I can think of no better way!

9. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    I would LOVE to see a poster map. (Though I suspect it would be a lot easier to reproduce the main galaxy map from the book, rather than create a new one.)

I think the best way to make this happen is to let the folks at Del Rey and Lucasfilm know you want it.

10. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    right now i can't afford the book, so can anyone tell me the total amount of sectors in the galaxy and the amount of star systems in a sector thats typical from the core to the outer rim territories?

11. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    There are potentially upwards of millions of "sectors", but the Ruusan Reformation circa 1000 BBY formed 1024 regional sectors, with the smaller ones becoming subsectors. The Empire created some more, so it's unknown the total amount at this time.

12. exar-tull

Feb 22, 2001
    thanks i need this for my own rpg part of the star wars universe.

13. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Specifically, you need the Atlas itself for it. The book is probably the single most useful source of info on the Galaxy Far, Far Away in existence.

14. exar-tull

Feb 22, 2001
    yeah wookiepedia is only so specific and mildly useful in this area so i definantly need the book.

15. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Supreme_Chancellor_%28Great_Sith_War%29

Didn't a recent source (Atlas?) name this poor fellow?

16. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    The Atlas named the Chancellor during the Great Hyperspace War - Pultimo. I think the poor guy from the KOTOR era is still unnamed.

17. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    That stupid squid thing from the TOTJ comics that Exar Kun mind-controlled and might have killed? Yeah, why doesn't that guy have a name yet? And what the hell does Cal Omas look like?

18. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I've heard that Cal Omas bears an uncanny resemblance to Revan.

19. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Jason, is the Appendix in error in listing Eshan and Echani as separate? Aren't they the same (ie, Eshan is the Echani homeworld)???

20. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Yeah, that looks like an error. I suppose Echani could be a colony world, but given that their confederation is six systems, seems unlikely. I'll run it by LFL; suspect it will get deleted from the next appendix version. Thanks for the catch.

At least they wound up close together. I'm going to assume that was luck!

21. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Is space station DS 5 from TIE Fighter in the Parmic system?

and is Mylok IV in Mylok system or Mylok Minor system?

22. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Parmel, I think.

Not sure why I thought we needed a Mylok Minor. I'm sure I had a reason at some point but I can't reconstruct what it was. I'm inclined to rename Mylok Minor to just Mylok, keeping its ORT coordinates, and lose the Wild Space system. Wish I could remember the background of that one. Embarrassing.

23. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    BTW, if any of you are New Yorkers or near NYC, next Thursday Jan. 21 is Star Wars Night -- I'll be speaking about the Essential Atlas along with Joe Schreiber of Death Troopers fame and members of the Empire City Garrison. It's in Dumbo. There's beer. Details right here.

24. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    Some Atlas questions about the Unknown Regions boarder:

On the main galaxy map we see the REGIONS on the UR side of the galaxy (Colonies, Mid Rim, etc.) being flattened against the Core while the "Outer Rim"-esque Unknown Regions are huge. So what do these flattened boarders represent?

A) the actual boarders of explored space this side of the Core

B) just a graphic toy, UR stretch to the edge of the Core beyond these "boarders"

c) In the past the Republic extended towards these boarders but has shrunk back towards the core for yet unknown reasons.

I prefer C) but what is the true answer? On all detail maps of the regions or other areas the space west of the Core is left mostly empty despite the main map showing REGION frontiers in there. So huh? or is it like earthian colonisation... we take a map, draw a line and that is the frontier despite nobody ever having been there?

Another UR related question: If the True Sith of KOTOR 2 mention and TOR MMORPG fame reside on Dromund Kaas, does this mean:

1) the hyperlane it is one was not known before its discovery by the True Sith?

2) It was known earlier but lost again?

How close are the Unknown Regions that the Republic had not yet scouted around Sith Space at the time of Revan? with Telos, Mirial and the Tiion surrounding Sith Space practiclly, there is not much, right? How about the Corporate Sector and space around it? or UR stretching above and below the galaxtic plane to connect the far away UR with that close to Sith space?

I also wonder how Rakatan tech and Lehon might be tied to the True Sith. Revan went into the UR to look for the True Sith.. and came back with knowledge of Lehon and the Starforge. There have to be True Sith pockets in the UR we know for it to make sense and despite their later headquarters on Dromund Kaas, I hope nobody forgets that when making maps or writing history for TOR.

25. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    interesting... Peragus, as of KOTOR II said to be at the boarders of the UNKNOWN REGIONS... is placed in the Atlas close to Sith Space in the same quadrant as Mirial.

Did you know about TOR or was this luck? well done! But might be because Peragus was responsible to deliver energy to Telos if I recall right, so it needs to be close. And between the Gordian Reach and Sith Space is enough UNKNOWN territory to fit the true sith in there. hmm.. now we just need to connect Revans Lehon Quest