main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Thedude3445

Thedude3445 Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2010
    I am absolutely IN LOVE with the Essential Atlas. After years and years of wanting to know where all the planets were, finally getting my hands on this was a dream. Only thing is that now I am confused as to how long Episode IV really was, but that's not important, I'm too bsuy looking at the maps D<

If there could ever be any supplement to this guide, I'd want to see "plot recaps" like Dan and Jason did for Episodes I-VI, but also spanning other major comic events (especially the Quinlan Vos Saga and it's excursions across every major planet in the galaxy). That and a fold-out mega-poster containing nearly all 4000 or so planets. But that's a given.

2. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    To back up a bit...the Mon Cal had colonies? I knew the Quarren did but....

So, how does this effect the Dac genocide. Were Krayt's orders against the Mon Cal of Dac specifically, or were all the colonies targeted?

3. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Hmm, Ruisto was attacked by an Imperial strike force during the Rebellion era and Krinemonen was nuked by the Galaxy Gun (most likely affecting Krinemonen III, a Calamari moon colony). That still leaves plenty of worlds left, given the Mon Cals have an entire section of the galaxy to themselves.

4. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    what about the Mon Cal colony on Da Soocha? Was it abandoned or destroyed when the planet's Pinnacle Moon blew up?

5. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    unknown but I guess, if the Alliance knew in advance of the incoming missile, they evacuated it like the rest of Alliance HQ. though, you never know if Bel Iblis had a grudge against the Mon Cal :p

6. Imperialles

Imperialles Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2005
    Is the "Pzob system" listed on StarWars.com meant to be the new name of the K749 system from Children of the Jedi?

7. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    If you mean the Atlas Online Companion, many of the systems are listed by best-known planet, rather than the proper system name (see Tatooine, Onderon, etc.). It's not a change in the name of the system, just an easier way to look it up.

8. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    K749 sounds like a registry number, not a proper system name anyways.

9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Maybe it was named after the discoverer's favorite droid.:p

10. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    Givins love numbers, must have been a Givin scout

11. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Sounds like an Imperial catalog designation to me.

12. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    So I've been doing a little reading on Revyia, the homeworld of the Revwien species, and there is this quote in Galaxy Guide 12: Aliens -- Enemies and Allies:
    After reading this, I was flipping through the Atlas. Revyia can be seen on the ORT map on page 32, just north-east of Gree. Now, the Rakata Empire map on page 116 draws the borders of the Gree Enclave. It is difficult to tell, particularly as the scale of the maps is actually different, but could/does Revyia fall within the Enclave's borders? Could the c.30,000 BBY Gree Enclave be the source of the Revwien myths?

Jason, care to pitch in? A deliberate nod? Accidental but possible?

By the way, have I mentioned yet that the Atlas is damn cool? Even if it is accidental, that just sweetens the pot.

~ Eyrezer

13. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Hmm. I shouldn't admit these things, but I suspect that was just luck. Will check the systems DB when I get home to see if it had been placed before or we took that into account. The Gree/Revyia connection sounds very plausible, though.

14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Another question: the last battle of the Stark Hyperspace War took place over Troiken, and was called the Fifth Battle of Qotile. So it was assumed that Troiken was in the Qotile system, and everything agreed. The Atlas, however, has both Qotile and Troiken listed in its appendix, in the same grid. The online appendix also puts them both in the Colundra sector. According to Wookieepedia, the Atlas is the only source for the existence of a Troiken system. Can we chalk this up as a case of mistaken duplication?

15. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I think its placement was at least partly related to the decision to make Revyia the location of "... one of the [Ithorian] Meetings out in deepspace, halfway from the Pits of Plooma to the Galactic Rim" mentioned at the beginning of Children of the Jedi.

16. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Jason, I finally found your Season One Guide, very well done! I liked the fact you finally addressed the fact that many astros LOOK like R2's but are R3s or R4s or even numbers not in production yet. Some good fixes.

Speaking of droids, in Lethal Trackdown there is a new model of droid serving as bartender on Florrum (another example of the model walks by Plo and Tano when they land in the Coruscant Underworld). Neither starwars.com nor Wookieepedia have anything on this model. Since you seem to be the guru of reference work tie-ins to this show, will you (or will you eventually) reveal what this model is called?

17. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    What was the astro droid fix?

TC

18. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    not all R2 units looking visually like R2s or later models ARE the model they look like. thus retconning the too early appearances of R-units that canonically had been only developed later in the EU or post ROTJ. thus looks do not always identify the model. though some earlier appearances are prototypes and models that exist earlier but pre-massmarket production of this R-line droid.

thus also some numbering might be off with the R units to help keep the canonical production timeline for them creacted by WEG

19. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    There's some more of that in the Character Encyclopedia -- those R6s and R7s with R2 heads have prototype logic modules that are being tested out, etc. Tryin' to help!

20. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    any more hints about the characte encyclopedia? how much new content will it have compared to what the episode guide already did with lots of background stuff?

21. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Whoops, thought it was out. It's not like the Episode Guide in terms of new continuity -- that wouldn't have made sense for the format. More new bits and pieces here and there.

22. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    and when can we expect a badly needed Atlas appendix update including new Atlas articles?

23. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Jason's fixes
    1) explained why ALL the Jedi starfighters' astromechs LOOK like R2s even though they are NOT all R2s; some are R3s, R4s, R7s, etc. yet have R2 domes
    2) how R6s and R7s can be in the CW when they are post-Endor models

Now, here is a stumper for Jason:

although R4-P17 has a R2's dome, young Boba Fett in AOTC novel takes one look at him from a distance and immediately concludes he is an R4-P...despite the fact R4-Ps are a new design developed by Skywalker no less! And while R4-P16 is still in the Delta-7, body unseen!

how does the kid DO that?

24. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Soon on the appendix update. Sorry it's been so long.

I had forgotten that bit about Boba and R4. That's beyond the tensile strength of a retcon, IMHO.

25. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    beyond...?

how about this:

Maybe those Droids who share the R2 dome but a new programming/model below have a tiny marker on the dome that Fett saw but we didn't. Or, and easier, he knows droidpeak and got the name from the droid chatter? or even he might have learned it through something nice such as a mini-cyborg implant that is removeable but he wears it for direct contact to slave 1 even when without an helmet?