main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Essential Guide to Warfare by Jason Fry and a pseudonymous Scotsman

Discussion in 'Literature' started by whateveritis12, May 17, 2010.

1. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    I will concede the point about travel times. But it's the "enlightened" thing that I take issue with (and what makes this subject worthy of discussion in a thread about Warfare in the GFFA).

Yes, Star Wars has spaceships that move at mind-bogglingly fast speeds. Yes, their medical technology is amazing (if somewhat inconsistently applied; why couldn't they just dunk Vader in a bacta tank?)

But time and again, we see in Star Wars echoes of the worst and most backwards parts of our own history. Slavery,at times technically illegal, is rampant on the outskirts of the Old Republic, actively encouraged by the Empire, and still extant on many worlds under the New Republic/Galactic Alliance. The ideology and behavior of the Empire, a government at least initially greeted "with thunderous applause," recalls the worst memories of fascism, an belief entirely discredited by the civilized Western world. Jacen Solo's GAG were a secret police ON CORUSCANT the kind of which the Western Democracies haven't tolerated since World War II. And many worlds, including the most cultured ones like Alderaan and Naboo (as well as lesser worlds like Eiattu IV and Artorias) continue to afford monarchs a serious role in government, something that no "enlightened" country does (the remaining crowns of Europe being almost entirely ceremonial).

Put it all together, and it tell us that things in Star Wars don't function like a futuristic version of Earth, or even like a high tech version of modern society. The EU is most successful when it looks at the rather strange rules, social and military, that Star Wars has created for itself and functions within them, rather than trying to impose modern realities upon a blissfully unrealistic universe.

2. Armchair_Admiral

Armchair_Admiral Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Sorry for using vague terminology; by "enlightened", I only meant that the Republic/Empire would have the foresight derived from 25,000+ years-worth of the existance of galactic civilization to know how to properly manage militaries (ie. how not to screw things up). Although now that you bring it up, there's every reason to believe that the art of inflicting tyranny on subjects is a field that had been extensively developed long, long before the Empire came around (Pius Dea anyone?).

3. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    There should be some nice pictures of Imperial Warlord vs. Imperial Warlord fleet battles.

That's a pretty important aspect of GFFA history to explain. The Rebels were not reponsible for the majority of the destruction visited upon the Empire's armies and starfleets. Imperials fighting amongst themselves were. The Rebels simply did not have the army and navy to accomplish the exhaustion of the Imperial war machine, and that should be made clear. What happened to the Empire's countless warships, soldiers, and troopers? The answer: They were wiped out in massive battles during the internal fighting after Endor, and especially during the fighting between the warlords that occurred after the destruction of Byss and the death of carnor Jax.

In fact, the small forces and fleets we see coming from Deep Core warlords in Darksaber can be explained as being the remainder of their armed forces after the warlords already launched wave assaults against each other's fortress worlds after the destruction of Imperial authority, expecting to overwhelm their rivals. Instead, they exhausted their armies and navies and are currently shown to be in the process of rebuilding in Darksaber...which they are.

See, Bantam era EU gave us a Star Trek Federation size Empire. The prequels clearly contradict that, and we need to be shown how the Empire armies and navies vanished. So on that note, I would create other breakaway Imperial factions which had to be put down by the Pestage/Isard Loyalists(Empire proper), and were also fought by already established Imperial warlords. The Empire is big enough that that can be done without raising an eyebrow.

I know that the Atlas and other EGs try to establish that the Rebels took worlds as the Empire tried to hold itself together, but that explanation works only up to a point.

Let?s look at what has been established in Star Wars.

According to one of the Star Wars Insiders, over 5,000 warships can be seen in single screenshot at the battle of Coruscant in Revenge of the Sith.

Star by Star establishes shows that in order to take a fortress world like Coruscant, the Vong deployed a fleet of 20,000 ships.

The above examples as well as the Imperial Sourcebook, Clone Wars Campaign Guide, and the Rebellion Campaign Guide show that a galactic power at its zenith has galactic fleets that number in the thousands, probably hundreds of thousands. In truth, if a government did have access to the resources and industrial might of a galaxy, and was responsible for forcibly keeping the inhabitants of said galaxy in line, then its fleet would probably number in the millions. Indeed, the RotS Incredible Cross Sections establishes that the Confederacy of Independent System(a mere fraction of the Republic of which it used to belong) had millions of ships.

I am not going to debate whether or not the Republic/Empire or New Republic/Galactic Alliance had millions of ships. For sake of argument, let?s say they only had thousands of warships(which I do not believe). We know the Empire and Old Republic war fleets probably had more than 20,000 ships, since it takes that amount just to assault a fortress world. We know that the Empire had at least 25,000 Imperial Class Star Destroyers, not counting its Victory , Lancer, Carrack, Dreadnaught, Demolisher, etc class warships. Its forces were vast.

The Rebels on the other hand had a fleet, that while large for a non Imperial force, was quite small compared to the fleet of the Empire. How do we know this? The Return of the Jedi novelization states that the entire fleet was able to gather at Sullust. True, it states that it stretched as ?far as the eye could see?, but that says little of size. I could take 2,000 Mon Calamari warships and stretch them, one after the other, bow to stern across space, and I guarantee your unaided eye would have trouble seeing the last few ships in the line in if we were in deep space. 2,000 warships would still pale in comparison the combined Imperial fleet.

We

4. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Oh yeah. The Atlas and I think a few other sources, imply that Palpatine let the Imperial Mutiny go on throughout the entire time of Dark Empire, Dark Empire II, and Empire?s End. It implies, not states outright. What is implied is not correct. Towards the end of the first Dark Empire comic, it is stated in a Rebel briefing(by General Dodonna iirc) that all Imperial commanders have reaffirmed their allegiance to Emperor Palpatine. Thus, at the end of Dark Empire and up until the end of Empire?s End, the Empire is fighting as a single, unified government again.

Thought that might have some significance some time in the future, and best not let something that could actually become an error.

5. Armchair_Admiral

May 31, 2005
    Concerning the Imperial Mutiny, the Atlas seems a bit self-contradictory: page 201 implies that the Mutiny came to an end before Palpatine revealed himself, while page 204 is the part that seems to imply that the Mutiny continued. Personally, I wouldn't read too much into it; this only seems like a poor positioning of sentences rather than an attempt to retcon Dark Empire.

I'm not sure where you get the impression that the Atlas suggests that the post-Endor Empire and warlords did not bother each other. After all, it attests to Teradoc duking it out with Zsinj, loyalist Imperials, and Harrsk. I think some of your misinterpretation is a result of the Atlas not spending too much time detailing the actual Imperial-warload feuds, but rather focusing on how the map boundries between the New Republic, Empire, and greater warloads shifted during the post-Endor time (which naturally produces a greater focus on New Republic efforts by default).

At any rate, I don't think we have to worry about this issue. The EGTW will be able to give more details about these events than the Atlas could. =D=

6. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    We got several during Xim Week.

Not that I'd mind a full-color Trevas treatment of the Despot.

7. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    OK, you guys wanted more questions. Here are some probably related things I'm having fun wrestling with as I draw the pre-Episode I chapters to a first-draft close.

* The Judicial Forces vs. the Planetary Security Forces
    * The transition between the JF/PSF and the restored Navy/Grand Army of the Republic
    * Army vs. the Navy in the late Republic/Empire
    * Coruscant vs. Anaxes

Without giving too much away, what I'm playing with is the idea that the restored Navy draws overwhelmingly in terms of traditions, top ranks etc. from the PSFs and Anaxes, with the Coruscant-based Judicial Forces essentially vanishing. I'm not sure if that's the same for the Army, though. In the prequels and the CW the Army appears to be essentially a brand-new entity -- clones commanded by Jedi -- but underneath that, where do its traditions, top ranks, etc. come from? Possibly its wellspring is Coruscant and the Judicial Forces, which would set up an interesting divergence to explore.

Of course whether it's real life or space fantasy, there's always a split/rivalry between the Navy and the Army, one that's made more complicated by the fact that in Star Wars the Army fights on teeny little dots while the Navy thinks in terms of everything in between. But I think it would be interesting to root that distinction in historical factors, provided the continuity makes sense and the narrative that emerges seems interesting/satisfying.

Little of this is even "as drafted" -- it's just an idea I'm playing with. Anyway, your thoughts on the above, particularly thoughts related to the post-Ruusan era and the transition from that era to the restored Army/Navy, would be welcome.

8. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Is the army an entirely new thing for the clone wars? Didn't General Kota have an all non-clone army? And wasn't there a non-clone army in Jedi Trial?

9. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    I almost misread Coruscant vs. Anaxes as Coruscant vs. Alsakan.:p

Either way, it sounds exciting!

Navy vs. Army. It seems like there's good potential for the opposing views of "The Navy's our glorified taxis/artillery support" among the army personnel, while the naval personnel would most likely consider the Army as a waste of lives and resources, given one cruiser could do in a second what the Army could spend months or years accomplishing. Fueling animosity and starting traditions among the upper classes of the galaxy to enlist in the Navy.

Then there's inter-organizational animosity, for instance fueled by the peace-time naval officers vs. the future proponents of the New Order, and firstly the warhawks who want the Navy to gear up for total war during the CW.

About the Republic Army traditions, I guess it's pretty much a given there has to be some kind of reference in this book to how similar the Clone troopers look like the Republic troopers of the TOR game/period?

10. Armchair_Admiral

May 31, 2005
    The Imperial Sourcebook gives a little bit of insight into post-Ruusan military forces:

1. According to the third paragraph, the Naboo should have easily been able to summon the Judicial Navy and chase away the Trade Federation battleships attempting to blockade their world. By any chance, did the Trade Fed file a counter-request in the Senate just to be obstructionist twits?

2. That mention of several hundred worlds banding together to destroy pirates leads me to believe that the forces involved were not Judicials, but rather a whole bunch of PSFs in a coalition. With that in mind, Ranulph Tarkin?s Militarist taskforce (which he mainly assembled from the PSFs of sympathetic worlds) is not really that much of an anomaly. In addition, the later Republic Outland Regions Security Force is probably another of these Republic pan-regional coalitions.

3. The 5th paragraph is a nice summary of what happened in Rogue Planet. Methinks Wilhuff Tarkin still had his position as Lt. Governor during this point in time rather than simply finding a new job in the ORSF.

Army forces were in even worse shape:

11. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    At least that fits in with WotC's Rebellion Era Sourcebook, which states that the officers and traditions of the Planetary Security Forces(or Homeworld Fleets as planets such as Rendili may have called them) became the core of the new Imperial Navy.

12. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    I'd agree with thought, even though, according to the Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide, that army had no where near the centralization and coordination that the Grand Army had. It was still heavily influenced by the cultures of the planets, sectors, and regions the divisions served. You should check out that guide at some point.

Oh yeah, Imperial Sourcebook says divisions were used only in the Republic Army, and were often tied to the culture of the planets they were posted on. Divisions were commanded by planetary governors or used as honor guards by ambitious senators. When the Empire came along, it eliminated divisions, replacing them with more uniform battlegroups, though it kept some divisions that were well known for morale purposes.

Notice that ties into what WotC's Rebellion Era Sourcebook says about how Senators used Planetary Security Force troops. I think the relation was intentional.

That's on page 94 of the Imperial Sourcebook.

There are more links between the Rebellion Era Sourcebook by WotC and the Imperial Sourcebook by West End Games. On page 44 of the ISB , it says, "The Army used to be almost exclusivey under the command of the planetary governments of the worlds on which they served. This was due to necessity more than anything else; most worlds had an arrangement whereby they paid half the expenses and provied half the materiel of any Army unit engaged in operations on their world, unlike the Navy whose expenses were paid for by the Republic as a whole."

You can see the obvious links between the two sources; the Rebellion Era Sourcebook states elsewhere that the Republic paid for half the expenses of the Planetary Security Forces.

13. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999

The information about the Republic Army and Navy from the Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide by WotC really needs to be checked out. Can't emphasize that enough. While it presents a more unified army than what appears in the Prequel era, it flat out states that the Republic of that era has never seen one as centralized as the future Grand Army of the Republic. It was in some ways very much like the set up that exists during the prequels, just not as the Imperial Sourcebook would say, "estranged".

Other thoughts:
    I'm not that we can say hardly any Planetary Security Forces seem to have had a standing army. There are a million member worlds, plus many more colonies. We've only been shown the security forces of a scant few planets. Hardly a good representation of the entire Republic. A writer can say whatever he wants about the standing armies of the member planets and his word would essentially become the rule of thumb about the status of such armies.

It makes sense for quite a few planets to have had standing armies, in order to explain how the Republic lasted as long as it did. I'm not going to debate about how many clones there were. The fact is that Kamino was a single production facility and the enemy had way more planets with way more battledroid factories. No matter how you cut it, the warm bodies that provided the bulwark between the Republic and the onslaught of battledroids would have been that of regular citizens in defending their homeworlds while the clone army was sent out on the attack.

The Clone Wars weren?t the Clone Wars for the number of clones used in the war. It was the Clone Wars because it was the first time in history that a clone army of large scale had been used by a galactic government. Clone armies were used by both the Republic and the Confederacy to varying degrees. (In fact, I would just create new battlefronts in which the Confederacy used clones, not just Saleucami) Palpatine wanted a galaxy that would eventually trust stormtroopers and actually see them as saviors. Therefore pan-galactic newscasts focused on the clones(though local newscasts, whether planetary, sectorial, or regionals may very well have focused on home forces) and their heroism. The clones save the galaxy from Jedi takeover and would eventually be chosen to keep the peace. However, by necessity of story logic, most fighting was done by non clones.

There were thousands of battlefields across the galaxy. Maybe even hundreds of thousands. Even with all the battles we?ve seen from the CW, we?ve only been and will ever be shown a fraction of those battles. No matter how you cut it, the warm bodies that provided the bulwark between the Republic and the onslaught of battledroids would have been that of regular citizens in defending their homeworlds while the clone army was sent out on the attack. The reason why the clone army wasn?t depleted while defending planets in the first few months of the war is because instead of BDZing a million defending clone troops here and a trillion defending clone troops there, the Confederacy was BDZing a million defending citizen soldiers here and a trillion defending citizen soldiers there.

If that were true, then army organizations on various planets must have already been set up, because the Republic just would not be able to recruit and organize an effective force to blunt Seperatist forces in time.

14. Armchair_Admiral

May 31, 2005
    I don't think that guide applies for the Great Galactic War during the TOR-era; that book only covers events up until KotOR 2.

15. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Good point.

It does say however, that the Grand Army was the most uniform and centralized army the Republic ever had.

16. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    It also occurs to me that the Confederacy would have access to any navies and armies manned by organics that belong to the planets that have come over to the Confederacy side. We've seen that quite a bit and apparently planetary security troops dress in uniforms very similar to the uniforms worn by the Imperial Army. Look at the Naboo ground security forces, Brentaal army forces, Confederacy troops in Galaxy at War Campaign Guide. Compare to General Veers army uniform and army uniform for basic troops shown in WEG. Though each planet adds its own twist to the basic uniform, depending on culture, they do look similar with the broad, almost oversized helmet, goggles, uniform style, and limited body armor.

The CIS fighting organics are usually ignored(just as Republic non clone organics are), a point Alto Stratus makes in last stand on Jabiim when he mentions that the Republic would like the general populace to believe that the fighting is done only with clones and droids.

17. Armchair_Admiral

May 31, 2005
    Not that I doubt you or anything (it's kinda hard for an army to be more uniform than one consisting of nothing but clones), but can you provide a page number for the statement that the GAR was the most centralized force the Republic ever had? I can't find it anywhere in the Republic chapter; maybe I'm not look hard enough... [face_worried]

I make that claim mainly because most worlds in the post-Ruusan Republic would not have to either fear being invaded by another power or to engage in much military adventurism. Of course PSFs would need personnel to act as peacekeepers and pirate-fighters, but not all of them (especially those nearer to the Core) would require ground combat forces with actual war-fighting capabilities. I won't rule out the possibility of certain star systems opting to maintain military reserves or to stockpile weapons, vehicles, and other equipment, but large standing armies are frankly... expensive, and the Rebellion Era Sourcebook suggests that the PSFs were strapped for cash during the pre-CW period.

(Obviously the situation is very different during the Clone Wars, but I'll stick with discussing the post-Ruusan, pre-CW period for the time being)

18. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I think at this point it's clear that the Planetary/Sector Forces were supposed to replace the the Republic Army/Navy after the Ruusan Reformations (I believe the NEC says this? I'm still unpacking from moving... 8-} )
    We know that there are a number of events during the Clone Wars which led to the integration of the planetary/sectorial forces, two are key -
    - the passage of the Reflex Amendment, which gave the Chancellor control of maneuvering military assets across areas of "overlapping jurisdiction", moving responsibility of defense from the sector/planetary level to Coruscant. Specifically cited is that the control of the Chandrila Defense Fleet was moved from Admiral Drayson to the Coruscant-appointed Admiral Seerdon, a "military council member" - Drayson being moved to an 'advisory position'. (HNN article, Insider 71). (and if I could make a request, could you sort out poor Alderaan's defense fleet, which seems to have vanished once the Clone Wars material began?)
    - the Battle of Rendili, which led to Palpatine getting legislation passed to bring the sector fleets under the direct control of the Republic Navy (SW Republic - "Dreadnaughts of Rendili").
    As far as the Judicial Department, I don't know if a source has directly stated it was integrated into the nascent GAR/Navy upon the start of the Clone Wars, but numerous sources mention the usage of their ships and officers in the creation of the Republic Navy (especially the Jedi Order itself), and the CWCG mentions this:
    "Shortly after the Clone Wars begin, the Republic High Command is created to coordinate the war effort. Several existing agencies and departments are moved under its jurisdiction and integrated (to a greater or lesser degree) with the Grand Army of the Republic and the Republic Navy." - p. 145.
    I believe though that the Sector Rangers still remained independent of direct military control.

I see Armchair_Admiral already gave the relevant info from the ISB, but there's an amusing quote in a sidebar:
    "There is a bit of military folklore about the difference between the structure of the Army and the Navy. An admiral had just finished listening to a general explain the OB for a Sector Group, including virtually every conceivable configuration by mission type. This general concluded proudly by calling up numerics which showed that every unit deviated less than two percent from the projected strength on the OB.
    The admiral took the podium and holoviewed the naval plan for a Sector Group. After a brief explanation of the theory, the admiral then used his Sector Group as an example of how the naval theory was modified in practice. The general became increasingly impatient as the admiral listed exception after exception. Finally the general interrupted the admiral.
    'You don't have an organization, admiral! What you have is nothing like the Army!'
    'Yes, general, the Army has its organization. We in the Navy must content ourselves with the control of all known space.'" - p. 101

The differences between the two branches aside, what's most interesting about it is that apparently the Imperial Army OB is quite accurate, whereas the Imperial Navy OB is not really followed in practice. (The few known figures for sector forces in other sources seem to confirm this)

GORW really was the first source to outline Anaxes, so this should be interesting! I remember that it was established that the Anaxi consider themselves to be... 'old money' for lack of a better phrase? And there's the industrial powerhouse of the system, Axum, which hasn't really been touched on at all.

19. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    I don't have the Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide on hand myself. I do remember reading that. Keep looking. Look for "Grand Army of the Republic"

I agree with you that for much of the millennium of peace, there probably wasn't much need for standing armies. My contention is that during the last 50 or so years of the Republic, the planets with the money to create and upkeep them, did so. It would have been in part due to the atmosphere of aggression Palpatine was cultivating. I suppose I should explain my thinking.

Increasingly the galaxy could see how unstable the Republic was becoming. Neither the Jedi or the non Jedi Judicial forces were doing very well in keeping the peace. They narrowly avoid two major disasters toward the end.

Look at the Stark Hyperspace War. Essentially a pirate army is almost able to make the Republic agree to its demands by disrupting travel ability throughout the Republic not only does the Republic not have the naval and military might to protect planets that have no navy and military of their own, but it does not even have the firepower to stop a pirate army and navy. If Stark had not been thwarted by creative thinking, he could have done extensive damage to the Republic. Its incredulous to me that the Republic computer systems weren't even protected by such a cyber assault as he carried out.

If that were not worrisome, the Naboo crisis should have been. The Republic attempted to enforce taxation and essentially the Trade Federation parks on Naboo, near the very trade routes it wants to tax, home to the planet of the man that suggested the taxes, and crossed its arms and said, ?The senate has made its law, now lets see it try and enforce it.? Had Skywalker not been there to make his lucky shot, the Trade Federation would have basically shown the Republic to be weak and ineffectual. The corporations would essentially have stranglehold on the galaxy without firing a shot and Palpatine woul call the shots.

The Naboo incident would have show the value of maintaining a Planetary Security Force in fighting trim(both a ground force an a space force) and it would show how increasingly incapable the Republic was in securing the basic rights of its citizens. After Naboo, it would not be surprising to see an increase in militarization among planets able to do so.

After Naboo, people should be able to see the writing on the wall. With corporate alliances flaunting planetary sovereignty by invading planets at will in tax protests and repossessing debt ridden planets, it would behoove any wise government to prepare for the coming chaos. Of course the pirate threat is still out there. The pirate problem is so ba that the Republic has actually take time out during the Clone Wars and deal with tem. Then there?s the traditional enemy of human run governments, the Hutts. They?re at least powerful enough to clash with the Republic and CIS during the Clone Wars at least once, and I?m sure worlds on the fringe of their space considered the possibility of a Nikto army coming to besiege them. It?s not a safe time during the fall of the Republic era.

We also don?t know to what extent member worlds waged war amongst each other during the Millennium of peace(forever after referred to as MOP) Though the Republic as a unified body did not risk invasion of its ?whole?, we see its member worlds had to deal with pirates, corporate alliances, and Hutts. We don?t know how often the planets warred amongst each other. We know some planets such as those of the Khaleesh and the Huk were at war. (not sure if they were Republic members though)

Other than the dubious honor of prestige, I can really think of no reason why Core Worlds such as Kuat have 17 kilometer long warships. They could have 10 kilometer long warships and be just as prestigious. They maintain an impressive navy for a reason, maybe not wanting fleets of 3 kilometer in diameter doughnut ships popping in and protesting taxes around their planet and shipyards. If rich planets keep up such navies, then many rich planets probably

20. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    IIRC, the Clone Wars campaign Guide says that the Grand Army of the Republic clone trooper number 3.2 million clones. However, it leaves it open to interpretation about the actual number of clones iirc. If I remember, it mentions the clone naval crewers, marines, and starfighter pilots seperately, and allows you to interpret that number of clones as not being included in the 3.2 million clone troopers of the Grand Army of the Republic. In fact, in the above quote from blackmyron, it mentions Grand Armty of the Republic and the Republic Navy seperately, which would imply that the Navy and starfigter clone number might be seperate from the army number.

I have no wish to start a debate. I just want someone to say yay or nay and confirm if I can indeed interpret it that way. Then be done with it.

Didn't Palpatine say they were nationalizing Homeworld Defense Fleets specifically, not sector fleets? Does someone have the exact quote?

21. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    The Naboo crisis wasn't brought about by the Republic lacking the ability to enforce its will, it was due to the Republic not having the will to fight to begin with. Due to corruption and manipulation by Darth Sidious, there simply was no political will to help Naboo....in fact even sending the two Jedi negotiators to begin with had to be done in secret. Those two negotiators came within a hair's breadth of ending the blockade. If more Jedi had been sent then they probably could have boarded most of the battleships and disabled them from within....that is, if the Senate were willing to unleash them upon the Trade Federation.

22. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Unwillingess, inability. Tomato. Tomoto. Same effect on the galaxy. I was just trying to be nice to the Republic. :p

23. Krados

Krados Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2004
    Thanks for taking the time to talk to the fans like this. What an awesome service from one of two good things about Star Wars right now, pessimist shining through.

Since there has been much said thus far on the early parts of the timeline, are there any plans to expand on the Legacy era, specifically from the comic? Not much has been done on the war between the Fel Empire and the GA and the Sith work on Wayland and elsewhere can also be a great sidebar on espionage in wartime.

As for art requests, we have never had a royal portrait of the Fel III family, either in that awesome throne room on Coruscant or on Bastion. Same for Darth Krayt, in the Sith Temple or in the unseen parts of his Koribban lair.

24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    That got me thinking about planetary/sectorial defense forces and the events of TPM. Chommell Sector is one of the "regional sectors", and a Mid-Rim one to boot. It seems strange that there were only planetary defense forces for Naboo. While we don't know much about the rest of the sector, we do know that there are 36 member worlds for it (and were called "other backwater worlds" in the novelization). So, here's what I'm wondering:
    Does the sector actually have its own defense force?
    Would the other planets in the sector have their own defense forces?
    Naboo's own forces aren't necessarily a benchmark, considering that the planet had a pacifistic nature. (Ironically, Insider 65 indicated that it became one of the most heavily guarded non-Core worlds in the Empire due to the Emperor's retreat here).
    The fact that other planetary forces didn't arrive to help wouldn't necessarily mean they weren't there either - as has been recently pointed out, the Judicial Forces could've responded if they hadn't been tied up in red tape and we know the TF also had a comm blackout anyways.
    As far as sectorial forces go... the question is whether or not Naboo was the sector capital at the time. Every senator appears to be from Naboo for a thirty-year period, but that could be because of the strong civic duty that was part of their culture. I wasn't able to locate a reference that specifically stated it was the sector capital. In one of the HNN articles, "Chommell Minor" is referred to during Sen. Amidala's tour of the sector worlds. I wonder if this was the actual administrative capital of the sector? In any case, a sectorial response would face the same red tape - if the situation was determined to be between one system and another organization, the sector might not consider it any of their business (helped by corruption and influence by said organizations).

In reference to my earlier post, there is this:
    "Many of the Republic Navy's nonclone captains come from either the navies of various Sector Forces or the ranks of the Judicial Fleet." - p. 146, CWCG.

"A separate command structure exists for the Special Operations Brigade. Other clone specialists - such as technical support specialists, cryptographers, logistics specialists, so on - are also outside the ORBAT shown for the Grand Army of the Republic. Additionally, other clone troopers are not technically a part of the Grand Army of the Republic, such as the clone shocktroopers who operate in a law enforcement role as a part of the HomeWorld Security Command." - p. 146, CWCG
    The Republic Navy is made distinct from the GAR, and thus any clones in the Navy are indeed separate. The starfighter corps can actually be Army or Navy, and as such would depend on their chain of command whether or not they were counted as part of the GAR numbers. The GAR numbers themselves didn't change from earlier sources, although support personnel is distinctly said to not be included in the figures.

"The Senate has agreed that all home defense fleets must now become part of the Republic Navy. That's what we must do - centralize our forces." - Palpatine
    And at the start of the arc:
    "The Senate and the Supreme Chancellor are determined - the fleet must be destroyed. Rendili's fleet alone is a serious problem. But if every home fleet follows their example, it's a disaster." - Saesee Tiin.
    I presume 'home' in this sense is a colloquism for 'planetary/sectorial' i.e. 'local/regional' as opposed to 'federal'.

25. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    I would disagree and assume it refers to a planetary fleet. The Rendili Fleet shown in the comic was small even for a planetary fleet, much less a sector fleet.

Plus, "sector fleets" were already starting to be nationalized because of the reflex amendment. I assume navies that comprised some kind of sector force( a sector force perhaps being various Planetary Security Forces bound together for mutual defense by a treaty, ala NATO) such as Tarkin's Eriadu force, were nationalized and then any remaining sizeable and powerful, still independent planetary navies(such as the Rendili homeworld fleet, which though six upgraded Dreadnaughts being small for a fleet, can do some damage firepower wise) were gobbled up after the Rendili Fleet Crisis.

Which, on that note, the firepower equivelent of six Dreadnaught heavy cruisers may have been the minimum requirement to get a Planetary Security Force/Homeworld Defense Fleet nationalized, while other Planetary Security Forces, that were more police forces than actual armies and navies,(such as the Naboo) were ignored.