main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks!

Any other BTS articles like that from other sites besides the material in the online appendix and in Dan's blog?

2. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    I have a collection of all the BTS stuff -- including Dan's endnotes -- on the Star Wars page of my Web site. Hope that helps!

3. Tyber

Tyber Jedi Knight

Mar 12, 2009
    Thanks for the answers. The thing with the Beetle Nebula is quite obvious, but I wanted to be sure about that. ;)

Well, maybe the German translation of the "Spangled Veil Nebula" (which was referred to as "Schleiernebel" = "Veil Nebula") added to my confusion. So let's see how to distinguish them Wiki-wise...

And now I'll look what I can do for the crowdsourcing.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Anyone ever wonder why the Alderaanians didn't migrate to Delaya? There's seemingly not much there, but it;s habitable. Would seem a logical choice to try to co-opt as a new homeworld/rebuild Alderaanian culture.

5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    One reason was probably because they were afraid of Imperial reprisal. I would imagine it would be pretty depressing living on another world in the same same system as their destroyed world. (Similarly, the Ithorians originally lived in a system with a huge number of planets that they should've been able to move to)
    On a related note, with the focus of Alderaan as a "people" (and occasional debate on whether they merited a Senate seat in the NR), I'm guessing they were a "single planet" exception in the OR Senate rather than representing a whole sector?

6. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    "Habitable" is a relative term, and whatever state of habitability it had, it probably decreased substantially after a nearby planet suddenly became a chaotic source of meteoroid impacts.

7. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Rebel Force clarified the situation on Delaya a bit. A lot of Alderaanian refugees showed up there, only to be exploited and isolated by the Delayan government. Delaya was also a bit ticked the Alderaan remained pristine while exporting much of their manufacturing needs to polluted Delaya. So it's easy to see why it wasn't the greatest choice for a new Alderaanian homeworld.

TC

8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Really? Hmmm, I had been putting off getting the Rebel Force books... but that's a nice use of continuity, that. [face_thinking]

9. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    Will the EG to Warfare include any maps of any campaigns?

For that matter, although not as interesting to me as space maps, a few ground battles might deserve maps. I can see a map of the environs of the Great temple on Yavin 4, showing various battles there over the years...inc. Jaden Korr's approach from the crashsite, Vader's approac to the temple to capture Dodonna, the battle of the Second Imperium versus apprentices, the route of Anakin and Vul Rapuung, etc. Plus it'd be a great excuse to show all those temples and camp locations...

10. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    that'd be cool, but please not another echo base map.. see my new Blueprints rebel edition topic

11. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    A bit off topic:

It has been pointed out that some (all?) of the early print run copies of this book were shoddily assembled. Namely, the glue used to hold the spine together wasn't strong enough, leading the book to fall apart.

Has anyone bought a replacement guide? Did they fix the problem in subsequent printings? I finally had a catastrophic collapse (the history section of the book fell out), but I don't want to buy a replacement if the same thing is going to happen.

12. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

I ordered 4 copies from the get go expecting that... thus I now own two and gave two more to friends and cousins.

though mine had the same problem with a few pages, none is yet fully loose. I keep one copy well and the other I use daily. so far, it worked out well. dunno if any newer copies of the atlas are different.

maybe with the next atlas update we could get some glue to print out? :p

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    My first copy did eventually fall apart at the end, but I had obsessively studied the two post-Endor maps and the Second GCW maps so that is quite obvious as to why it fell apart. [face_laugh] I have been very careful with my second copy. ;)

I have a few map related critiques (which do not detract from the fact that I friggin' love the Atlas);

1. The Second Sith War map; missed out that Sernpidal belonged to Darth Revan... a neat way to rationalise how he could attack Dantooine so sneakily - and I think a show of the 'Forge Route' - how the Sith got from Rakata to the front without notice..

2. The Operation Shadow Hand map; a few NR salients would have been quite cool, accounting for the NR invasions of Cuitric and the Corva Sector, methinks. Then a few 'retreating' salients much like the YV War one which was very cool. And Gyndine was already Imperial pre-Shadow Hand... a few 'faction' delineations to show where COMPNOR, Intelligence, etc were. The maps from Endor to the Thrawn map were so detailed, the Shadow Hand one was a bit disappointing for me. [face_blush]

But I loved everything, otherwise. :D

14. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Jason, what was the rationale for moving Kloper from the Colonies to the Inner Rim in the last Atlas update?

~ Eyrezer

15. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Kloper was one of a handful of worlds shown on a map in one region but listed in another in the appendix....

16. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    Where is the Iti Cluster? (from KOTOR II) can't find it in the appendix

17. Eyrezer

Aug 4, 2002
    Ah, thanks. I see the map now.

18. Eyrezer

Aug 4, 2002
    Does the Atlas consider Briggia from the X-wing video game to be the same as Brigia?

~ Eyrezer

19. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I don't think we've gotten to a second printing yet.

If someone knows otherwise, do tell me; I'd like to have a copy to get signed at Celebration V that is neither falling apart nor likely to do so in the future.

20. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Iti Cluster is T-14, though not called out in the appendix on its own. Yes, Briggia is a typo. No second printing yet.

Dan and I and the Chris Army will be at C5 -- please come to our panel/signings/what have you!

21. eddie1969

eddie1969 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 3, 2005
    Wouldn't it be nice if an eventual 2nd printing would be in hardcover? It would make a great companion to the hardcover New Essential Chronology!

22. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    I don't know what second-printing plans are, but I'm keeping tabs on it with Del Rey, as we might be able to zap a typo or two.

There will be a couple of items of very cool Atlas-related news soon. Maybe at C5, but we're still figuring it out!

23. Gomez_Addams

Gomez_Addams Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2009
    Let me just say that if the Atlas does come out in hardcover, count on me being the first in line.

My current copy is being held together by duct tape and little else.

24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Oooooooh!

25. eddie1969

eddie1969 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 3, 2005
    a typo or two

Ah, like Heijden instead of Hejiden... [face_whistling]

Anyway, no new (or should I say old) info in the Imperial Sourcebook 1st edition (compared to the second edition)...