main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Sounds good!

2. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Link

3. Armchair_Admiral

Armchair_Admiral Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this before, but can the Wayland from EaW have a proper alien name which translates in Basic to the word "Wayland"? Methinks that could be a satisfactory solution to that continuity mistake. [face_whistling]

4. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I had recently played the Alliance portion again, and here's a thought I had - both Antilles and C-3P0 knew of it, both trusted by Bail Organa with sensitive info. And how would Bail have known about Wayland? Because it was one of the 'missing planets' from the Jedi Archives that Yoda discovered, and passed along to Bail. He might have had a spy ship scout it out, but Mount Tantiss was too well-hidden and only a high-level Imperial comm station was found there. The information was filed away for future use, until they needed to quickly hack into the Imperial military network...
    Note that in gameplay, you don't take the planet, you upload the security clearances and then leave in the face of Imperial reinforcements arriving. The Imperials probably thought they had driven off the Rebels and beefed up security on and around the planet once it became clear its location had been compromised.

5. Armchair_Admiral

Armchair_Admiral Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    I think I may have found an error of the Atlas's own making. It places Turkana somewhere in the Pakuuni sector... except that the briefing from "Historical Combat - X-wing Mission 6" from X-Wing states that Turkana is in the Hadar sector (which we know is in the Mid Rim). Then again... I kinda like Turkana where it is now. [face_whistling]

6. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Turkana in the Hadar sector... somebody at Lucasarts was a paleoanthropology nerd.

7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    IIRC, Jason was made aware back when the Atlas first came out... but as you said, Turkana's position makes a whole lot of sense, so no problem. :D

I liked that the Atlas finally gave an explanation of the awkwardly-named "Hollan D1 Sector" (which was a play on one of the LucasArts people's name) with the mention of "Hollan Sector" - obviously, D1 was the subsector.

8. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    JJM just revealed that there will be an online article covering the the geography of Knight Errant:
    TFAW.com: Are we going to see Kerra Holt go all over the Galaxy?

JJM: All over this region for sure. I?m not going to give away really all of where her travels are going to be. We?re not sure, but we are doing a couple of things that will help people on this. I am doing a piece for Starwars.com with Daniel Wallace and Jason Fry (Star Wars Atlas). Basically I?ve given them a map of where everything is, and we?re going to do a little thing for the website before the book comes out, showing where the planets are and what?s on them. Now, nobody knows who controls what.

9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Oooooh. I like. :D

10. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    great... more of my favourites teaming up to create ultrafavourite material

11. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    Does this mean a new map of a previously-unexplored period, with borders unfamiliar to those from other eras, that will serve as a setting to the new ongoing series? Sweet! [face_dancing]

12. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Wayland has also been mentioned in some prequel sources too, like the Yoda novel...

TC

13. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Wayland was probably like Hoth. People know about it, and know that there are smugglers/minor outposts there, but other than that, it seems unimportant.

14. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    I just noticed while watching "The Revenge of Kybo Ren" that Threepio at one point thinks to himself that he doesn't have time to try to remember every face he's seen in every galaxy he's visited. Can Dan or Jason make sense of this?

15. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Hey Jason,

I understand you wrote the Garqi entry in Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds. Are the rdava-birds you mentioned the birds seen on Mara Jade's hand at the start of Star Wars: Union when she is in the Vlassy Nature Preserve?

~ Eyrezer

16. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Yep. That's a blast from the past.

17. Eyrezer

Aug 4, 2002
    Thanks, Jason. Could you also clarify whether "Tholothian," used as Adi Gallia's species in Star Wars: The Clone Wars Character Encyclopedia is meant to be a species or only a demonyn for Humans from Tholoth?

~ Eyrezer

18. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    That I don't know. Tholothian came from LFL.

19. Eyrezer

Aug 4, 2002
    Interesting!

20. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    so wait...which is now considered the canonical placement of Turkana, Hadar Mid or Pakuuni Outer?

21. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    so Stewjon is now really canonical?

Another question of Jason...in the new CW book you mentioned one of the space battles (memory blank) taking place near Arda...is this the Arda system that contains "Arda-2" from the old comic?

22. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    i believe the Iti Cluster includes "Dersonn", which IS in the index

23. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I can't speak for Jason or Dan, but Stewjon's name has now been thrown around the OS a few times. Case in point, if you go the Clone Wars page of the OS, scroll down to the "Clone Cards" section (right above the "Best of Gallery"), and check out Obi-Wan's card. On the back it will list Stewjon as his planet of origin.

24. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Yes, Stewjon is canonical. Placement TBD. And Arda is the system with Arda-2. You guys know I always think in systems, not planets.... [face_blush]

25. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    well, since it was a reference to a space battle, system name makes more sense

Did you catch the new planet Faket in Wild Space, from Gambit:Siege, homeworld of the Drivok species? Also,did you ntice the Ch'zimi-kho Conglomerate, same book, p319--sounds like a stellar polity.