main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    We know Kuat and Nemoidia managed to block some major hyperlanes with mines. Perhaps the same issue is going on. Other worlds may be closer, but the direct routes are mined or patrolled by enemy fleets. Thus Toydaria is the closest safe route to the front.

2. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Seezar%27s_Planet

Hmmm...I would think this planet could have some stories. I imagine it is Caesar's Palace...but as a whole planet!

3. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Jason, something I stumbled across:

are Qeimat and Qeimet the same thing? If not, should Qeimet have a separate Atlas entry? If they are the same, the location may need changing

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Qeimat_system
    Qeimat system (from Imp SB) is placed in Juris Sector by Atlas

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Qeimet_fleet
    the Qeimet fleet (also from Imp SB) is place in the Hook Nebula Sector...

???

4. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Jason, when the Unstated Canon mentions Han Solo on Syngia, does this mean the Syngia moon mentioned in Jedi Apprentice, or the planet it orbits

5. Stormwizard

Stormwizard Jedi Padawan star 1

May 3, 2010
    Since nobody noticed my questions on the previous page I'll ask them again.
    What is the total number of systems in the Atlas right now?
    Is it over 5000?

Jason? Dan? Anybody?

6. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    The original number as of book's release was somewhere between 4,300 and 4,500 systems I think, Since then online updates added more, but not nearly enough 500 - more like several dozens, maybe one hundred. So no, the 5,000 systems mark definitely wasn't hit yet.

7. Stormwizard

Stormwizard Jedi Padawan star 1

May 3, 2010
    Okay, thanks. Looking forward to when it hits the 5000 mark.

8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    As this is more of a cartography point than a warfare one in hindsight, thought I'd repost...

9. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Jason, for clarification, are Chaasch and its moon New Kisge in Sulorine or Suolriep system?

10. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Interesting. The following passage is from the just-released book, Planets in Peril.

Since this is a more recent source than the Atlas, does it override it and restore the original Ryloth to canon? [face_praying]

11. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    [face_hypnotized] I love you man!

I should by more DK Readers...

Edit: checked the Atlas, Ryloth got 5 moons... might one of them be called Ryloth + number and be the TCW Ryloth? or one moon is the EU Ryloth and tidal locked due to planet and moon movement balancing each other out so that one side always faces the sun??

12. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Absolutely, since the Atlas was the source that changed Ryloth. Right?

13. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Jason, I don't own any of the Adventure Journals...I need to save up and E-bay those..but I noticed both CUSWE and Wookieepedia use the spelling "Ferijian ape" whereas Atlas has the homeworld as "Ferjia"...is the Atlas missing an i? shouldn't the spelling be "Ferijia"?

14. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    The Atlas is not the source that changed Ryloth. It is the cartoon, its episode guide, and Leland's official stance. Jason merely reflects this, publication chronology not-withstanding.

15. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Hey all, sorry to be scarce. Been grinding hard on WARFARE, which is due at the end of the month.

Answers to questions....

Number of systems: I currently have 4632 in the most recent appendix + 36 new ones so far lined up for next appendix update. That doesn't include some recent sources, though. Either way, we're a ways off from 5000. Though WARFARE will help. Lots of new ones in there.

Re Toydaria and Ryloth, I'd be inclined to go with the "available fleet" theory. Though a better answer might be that Obi-Wan had hit his head and everyone was being patient with him. [face_dancing]

I have Darlon the planet and Darlonn the sector, in different regions. So no, not the same.

Qeimat looks like a misspelling. Will propose fix in next appendix. But Juris Sector is fine -- ISB says the Qeimet fleet was based near the Hook Nebula Sector, and Juris qualifies.

Han whoops it up on the Syngia moon.

New Kisge/Chaasch is in Suolriep.

Ferjia looks like a misspelling for Ferijia. Will address next time.

Re Ryloth, I have no idea. I'd be surprised if LFL has reversed course and I suspect the book used old info, which got missed. But will try to see what's up. FWIW, honesty compels me to admit I was in favor of letting the tide-locked Ryloth go. The various proposed retcons, while brave, struck me as too strained.

Dan, John Jackson Miller and I just finished the Atlas tie-in, though Dan and JJM did the heavy lifting, with my role a mere cameo that included some new star systems and two retcons. It's a really cool gazetteer, with a different approach than we've seen before. And the new Modi maps are of course spectacular.

If you're at NYCC, come say hi to us Atlas folks. I'll be signing for DK Sat and Sun.

16. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    I noticed Atlas Online places Mijos in Anoat Sector. Didn't Gazetteer place it in Yarith Sector? I wish WOTC hadn't had to take that down!

Thx for all the answers Jason! What is this neat Atlas tie-in you mention?, sounds exciting! And the EGWarfare is making my mouth water....

While it is on my mind, someone (McEwok?) had a theory that your description of Nartians in the Atlas was meant to identify them with these guys:
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Stalk-eyed_species
    can you confirm/deny?

17. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    I just double checked the Gazetteer map: Mijos is definitely in the Anoat Sector.

18. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    thx RF

Jason: There is a system called "Balith" in Atlas Compendium...I can't figure out where this is from...something upcoming?

19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Awesome news, indeed... [face_dancing]

20. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Does anyone have the NEG Characters? Could you please give its exact quotes from C-3PO's entry, Han's, and Luke's regarding their actions on Drexel?

21. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    As Long as We Live...
    has a big gun called a "Magnetoran sweep"...could Magnetora be a planet?

22. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

then how do YOU, Jason, think Jacen and Tenel Ka could cuddle in an ice cave in YJK? Even if tidal lock is gone, I want an explanation where they did it. Please help me out with your opinion even if unofficial.

23. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    OK here is a mistake

Vendlia and Venedlia in Atlas Companion Index are listed separately and in separate sectors nonetheless...despite the fact they are both based on a single reference (Venedlian sandmoles, Slave Ship)...Venedlia is the correct spelling; Vendlia should be torpedoed

24. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

*sends Death Star*

but hey why torpedoe it? Keep it for future use and see it as a new invented world for the appendix for free authorial use ;) it is in, it stays. no need to blow it away

25. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Jason:

Heir to the Empire chapter 9
    *"The Imperials," Han said sourly. "They just pulled a three-prong hit-and-fade on three systems in the Sluis sector. Some place called Bpfassh and two unpronounceable ones." Luke whistled softly. "Three at once. Getting pretty cocky, aren't they?"*

Hmmm...Jason, any way you could name these two unpronounceable systems?....maybe names with all consonants and no vowels;)

Also, Jason, any chance in some future thing you could "fix" the Empress Teta system. It abounds with continuity problems. For one thing, Planet Hoppers failed to include in its list of planets Kirrek and Koros Minor, planets in the system according to The Golden Age of the Sith. Dan told me once he hoped to retcon these as "atlernative" names for 2 of the planets in the Planet Hoppers list (he did not specify which), but this never happened, and now WOTC's license is dead. Also, Planet Hoppers placed Ronika as 8th world in the Empress Teta system. However, even though Ronika does not have an index entry, Modi's map in the Atlas shows Ronika as a separate system from Empress Teta. I hope you can fix all this somehow...it occurs to me the Deep Core has potential for an update. Doing so would also allow for naming all those unnamed Deep Core locations in Darksaber: Delvardus's throneworld, Harrsk's throneworld, the Imperial depot, the nexus station, and the gas giant orbitted by Teradoc's fortress asteroid in its ice rings; also the planet where the Emperor's Plague storehouse was in the YJK books.