main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Crossposted from what I said in TCW continuity topic:

Actually I love that it is Raxus! Think about it, this Raxus might be another world in the same system, a moon, or have our old Raxus as a moon or something like that. But if they are one and the same it still works with a little tricky retcon:

Raxus is the junkworld of the galaxy, but what if it has a small continent where TCW takes place that is free of junk and has athmospheric filters and shields to keep the acid and junk at bay to live happy with nature? A kind of administration center for the junkyards and capital of Raxus prime which makes billions by taking in the junk of the whole galaxy. A quite profitable business including scavenging and recycling it for droid factories. From a business perspective it makes sense.
    By the time of the Atlas/later OT EU this part of Raxus might be devastated by war and taken over by junk, too. Thus no harm done. After all it makes sense for Dooku not to choose just a junkworld as base but one that is important with business, too, has a history and maybe artifacts, archeological digs and maybe hidden Sith treasures, too.

and QFT from the same topic:

2. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    According to the Atlas, there's only two planets in the Raxus system, and the other one is an iceball; neither of them has a moon. But I wouldn't be adverse to this Separatist capital being Raxus III (Or, if we are going by orbital positions, Raxus 1.5:p).

Alternatively, we could just retcon this Separatist capital city into being the Raxus equivalent of Honoghr's Clean Lands.

3. LordDarthPaxis

LordDarthPaxis Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 23, 2010
    Yeah, I'd always assumed that the Separatists just cleaned up the surrounding area so their capital wasn't located in a total scrap heap. You know, put up some frilly curtains, that sort of thing :p

4. Taral-DLOS

Taral-DLOS Jedi Master star 3

Jun 29, 2009
    Raxus Prime need not be the first planet in the system. While we usually think of Prime as being the same as I (roman numeral 1), there's no steadfast law for that. It could be the most prominent planet in the system.

For example, according to Star Trek: Star Charts, Cardassia Prime wasn't the first planet in the system, merely the most important. Homeworld of the Cardassians and capital of the Cardassian Empire/Cardassian Union, and headquarters of the Dominion in the Alpha Quadrant. Prime = important. This is emphasized by a fairly minor life-supporting world, Cardassia IV, also being called Cardassia Minor.

5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It could just be in a neighboring system and a colony of Raxus Prime. Originally New Raxus or something, but when Raxus Prime becomes a junkyard and falls off the map while New Raxus rises in prominence, everyone takes to just calling it Raxus.

6. Xicer

Xicer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2008
    Hey Jason, I noticed that The Battle of Turak IV makes numerous references to Turak IV being in the Parmel sector, but the online appendix places the Turak system in the Mortex sector. Is this an error?

7. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Where are the references?

8. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    The Battle of Turak IV (Hyperspace Exclusive)

Page 1
    "Following a series of successful Alliance attacks on Imperial military targets at Aris V and Vohai, Parmel sector had reached its flashpoint."

"Under the command of Colonel Zel "Rancor" Johans, the Imperial Hell's Hammers Elite Armor Division devastated years of work by the Alliance in Parmel sector and have established themselves as adversaries to be feared throughout the Outer Rim."

Page 2

"The Turak system was an ideal location for Parmel Sector Alliance to build their hidden base. Located in the remote backwater regions of Parmel sector in the Outer Rim Territories, Turak IV was the only planet with a tolerable atmosphere orbiting the Tyas sun in the Turak system."

Page 3
    "Posing as a special agent of Fakir sector's Moff, I bypassed the security forces on Halowan"

"After discovering the location of the Rebel base on Turak IV, Moff Tallis authorized General Maltaz to lead the Imperial assault regiment, designated Battle Group Turak, to eradicate the Rebels. However, Tallis also requested that two battalions of the Hell's Hammers be transferred by Imperial Central Command to Turcan III and assigned to Battle Group Turak."

So the article places Halowan in Fakir Sector
    and places Aris V, Vohai, Turcan III, and Turak IV in Parmel Sector

9. Xicer

Xicer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2008
    Yeah, that's what I was referring to. Thanks, Senator.

10. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    My HS subscription is all goofed up -- I'm current but can't get past the login. Could someone send me the article via PM or something? (I'll bail you out of copyright jail if need be.) Also, is it a reprint from something? Apologies that I'm drawing such a blank here....

11. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    if your Gmail is still current you should have mail.

Curious...what was your source for placing it in Mortex? Was there actually a map with it drawn on Mortex? And will moving it to Parmel cause any big difficulty? Because this article seems very insistent on it being in Parmel!

12. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Got it. Thanks!

Re questions, will have to look it over -- I'm not quite sure how this is true, as I certainly know Enrique and Sterling and their great work, but I honestly don't think I've ever seen this before.

13. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    I'll ask LFL how they want to handle. My inclination would be to restore the Parmel placement and hopefully address the R-4 map placement somewhere down the line. We'll see. Appreciate the help on this one.

14. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    great heavens, we actually found something Jason hasn't read? ;)

And I am glad we pointed it out to him, as it has some stuff in it that could be very useful to the EG Warfare!

also I was rereading The Unknown Regions. Regardin WHERE the Croke introduced the Lugubraa, at one point is calls the place "The Croke Reach" but at another the "home planets"...this seems to indicate that Croke itself, not just Explume, is in the Croke Reach, contrary to what Jason had inferred, b/c surely the homeworld itself is one of the "home planets"

15. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Hey there! I have a question for Jason and Dan. It's about the Taloron species. The Atlas places the Taloron system at the outskirts of Wild Space and close to the Unknown Regions (and actually within Chiss-influenced Space during the Legacy era) --- was this meant to imply a connection between the Taloron and the Chiss, both of whom are blue-skinned, order-loving, militaristic near-Human species?

A fun-fact-trivia related question. :D Also, I don't think I've ever actually marveled at the Atlas within this thread, and even if it's a year and a half too late, amazing job. I was going to ask you about the planets Jendorn and Hettsk, two obscure planets from Lt. Page stories in the Heir to the Empire and Dark Force Rising sourcebooks, but I saw that you already have them in the online companion. Mad props for the Page love.

16. Dark_Guardian

Dark_Guardian Jedi Master star 2

Apr 11, 2004
    Just a quick question: Twin Stars of Kira says that the planet Seltaya is the third planet in the Ropagi system. It's an ice world and home to a pirate band called the Telak's Terrors. The Atlas appendix places the system in the Kira Sector.

Now, Wanted by Cracken and Alliance Intelligence Reports have Seltaya as the home base to a pirate band lead by Safonne Pendon. The articles place the world in the Mieru'ka Sector. The Online appendix however has a Seltaya Major system in this sector. Is this supposed to be a retcon/explenation? Because in Twin Stars the sector never mentioned.

17. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Seltaya Major is the WBC/AIR world. Ropagi III is Seltaya Minor. Retcons are our speciality!

18. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Catching up with a long-ago query:

1) Differences are religious. Same place, different name. I daresay we made lemonade out of a real lemon of a retcon there.
    3) Sarrassia first appears in Imperial Commando: 501st.
    6) Verdanth is a product of shifting borders. We'll address Aquilaris and Gazzari in an upcoming Atlas update.

Sorry this took forever. Been a hellacious fall.

Another one: Yep, Solarine is a new place.

19. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Thanks

context/quote for Sarrassia in 501st?

20. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Page 7: "...as pointless as the sectarian war on Sarrassia, where two factions of a religious cult had been fighting for thousands of years over the proper ritual for handling some holy relic -- a goblet, a statue, a set of bones, Ny forgot which."

21. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    so was that quote the primary inspiration for the Spumani/Grumani cult split?

And are the rival cults going to play a part in the KE storyline?

While this is not Atlas-related, I know THIS is the thread you keep up with, so on a CW note, can you shed any light on Robonino's speederbike? Will upcoming reference works clarify what it is? I was a bit disappointed Episode Guide did not

22. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    IIRC Sarrassia working for Grumani/Spumani was just luck. The KE storyline is JJM's turf, but I doubt the split will play a role. Just a retcon that needed to be made and happily there was a way to do it with minimal disruption.

Sorry, I got nothing on Robonino's bike....

23. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

You'll never guess what just hit me... down deep in my archives I found another map we might have missed so far for various reasons. Somehow I forgot to upload it when collecting maps as base for the Atlas loooong ago...

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v679/Ceiran/sullustchart.jpg]
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v679/Ceiran/sullustchart.jpg

This is a map of the Sullustans space around Sullust. It is part of the Bungo and Rusti comic which appeared first in the WestEndGames Adventure Journal. Though lots more Bungo and Rusti stuff exists than got published in there. I guess it had been intended for future publication but never was when the Journal got cancelled. The author published the further adventures and additional stuff like Bungo and Rustis ships cutaway crossection etc. on his website. Sorry that I forgot his name and websites adress. Just found the comics and this map on my computer.

It's canon status, since unpublished is debatable. Especially since I do not know how much of the stuff the author created as kind of fanfiction or for publishing purposes while WEG was still running under contract. Still, I love it and its unique sullustan design and want to share it here and ask for your opinion on the matter.

Jason, what do you think? Salvagable or not?

24. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Nice. Is that supposed to be Sullustian colony systems, given the names? I like it. :cool:

25. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

yes, according to the map itself it is sullustan colonies in sullustan space/sector. lower left corner features a boarder to neighboring sector and its name and a few system of that, too.

I also love how it details not only system sizes, but also sun-classes, etc. and it adds several new traderoutes aside the Rimma. heck even new planets in sullusts system and other colony systems if you can make out everything.