main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Oh yay, a nice addition! I'm glad to see this fantastic guide is still getting some updates.

2. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Ryndillia is now in its own sector, eh? [face_thinking]

3. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Plus, Lola Sayu is in the Belderone sector as well... sweet. I mean I don't know why but I expected it closer to the Core for some reason but the fact that the sector sits close to the Perlemian Trade Route makes it seem as a nice way of getting prisoners to the Citadel as well as keeping them far off from the Core so they don't cause any problems.

EDIT: And Secundus Ando is in the Lambda Sector, same as Ando! Wooo!

Second EDIT: Quesh also seems to be a bit above Mulatan

4. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    awesome update!

:D

5. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    BTW, LFL has been told about the appendix cutting off. Stay tuned there.

6. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Also the Plunder Moon from Secret Missions 2 is there, a bit below Illum. I do wonder where that Chiss space station was that was in the book. Awesome update!

7. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    Nice update! Especially cool to see the new Mid Rim map with sector borders. I hope you fix that pdf file soon.

P.S. I found it very strange that Savek and Shotem made it into the update, while Ermi and Miko didn't, considering they are from the same source.

8. operative_lm

operative_lm Jedi Master

Jun 11, 2005
    Question about the map, Jason.

K-6, Irishi sector. You have Obreedan where before there was Obredaan. Typo?

Actually, assuming Obredaan is correct, is there an Obreedan? It's only mention was in Bloodlines, and I just assumed it was a mistype, but...

9. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Noticed that there's some interesting sectors popping up outside the Mid Rim - the Alsaka Sector (home to Coruscant's rival, Alsaka) and Iseno Sector (home to Denon, my favorite underused world).

10. Dark_Guardian

Dark_Guardian Jedi Master star 2

Apr 11, 2004
    I'm glad Denon has now a sector as well. But what' suprising is that the planet Iseno has no sector listing in the appendix. One could assume that it was in the sector of the same name, given the relative proximity (Quadrant N-13).

11. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Obreedan is a typo that I believe is on a map in the printed Atlas as well. Should be Obredaan. Stubborn error, that one.

Yep, one can safely assume Iseno is in Iseno sector. Will get that one next time. I'm impressed that the couple of non-Mid Rim new sectors have already got found.

Lola Sayu was an interesting case -- it pretty much had to be in the Confederate "heartland," but some kind of connection with the ancient Republic and the Jedi seemed warranted. A location near Ossus satisfied both points.

Has it been definitively established that Raxus and Raxus Prime are different?

12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Possibly the same system, but according to the episode guide, two planets:

13. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    It's all a massive Force illusion by Dooku, in truth they live on junk and look like Jawas and not beautiful humans and aliens :p

nah, probably insystem 2 worlds.

14. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Oh yeah -- thanks. I probably came to the "different worlds, same system" conclusion myself and then forgot about it since it didn't change the appendix. If the Atlas gets reprinted or there's a revised edition we'll see how LFL wants to address and what can be done.

15. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    Also interesting how Stewjon doesn't even have coordinates listed. Not poking into Lucas' domain, I presume? In that case no wonder there's no Mortis there, he-he.

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Mortis would make a nice neighbor to say, the Bedlam Pulsar... [face_whistling]

17. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

Mortis needs NO placement... as discussed pages back already. :mad:

but if you have to place halluzinations somewhere, I'd chose the Maw Cluster for Celestial reasons [face_whistling]

I can live with Mortis being a real world... Anakin And Obi Wan just were in the Artifact close by the real world and visited the world "beyond shadows" akin to Luke and Ben doing so with Abeloths planet. that way, I am okay with placement. But no placing it inside artifact somewhere on a map. then rather place system/artifact but not Mortis leaving it open if it is inside or anything else.

18. Stormwizard

Stormwizard Jedi Padawan star 1

May 3, 2010
    I love the new map and atlas update. Thank you Dan, Jason and Modi.=D=[:D]
    Yay, Cirtappa has been added to the Atlas!:)
    I found it when I played through X-Wing: Alliance for the first time.
    Draik is mentioned in the same briefing as Cirtappa, but for some reason only Draik made it into the Atlas.

BTW, are Crelythiumn and Terrelia typos? Shouldn't it be Chrelythiumn and Terrellia?

19. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    Wait because of a typo I didn't find.... Oh crap... YOU PLACED THE ARTIFACTS SYSTEM? I hope this just means the artifacts system and not Mortis is placed. :(

Artifact location thus is:
    K-2 behind Sernpidal

why there? I could have thought of other locations. or the other side of the galaxy which is underused as it is.

Nice to know where it is, but a bit dissapointed I am.

20. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    The spellings are from LFL.

I don't have any idea where or what Mortis is -- and don't want to know.

Stewjon's lack of coordinates are as per LFL directive. I had a location for it I thought was interesting and logical, but totally understand their wanting to leave options open JIC.

Cirtappa and Draik are both in there....

21. LivingJediDream

LivingJediDream Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2010
    Edit: Nevermind, lol.

22. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

Sorry if I was a bit rude earlier ;) thx for clarifying.

another question: What with planets we know of that are in another galaxy far away from the GFFA? like Vong galaxy with homeworlds of Vong, Chazrach, Abominor and Silentium, etc.

they might get no placement but should feature in some list for extragalactic locations or something like that.

23. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    realize it is NONCANON, but curious nonetheless: where were you thinking of placing Stewjon?

24. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Great addition to the Atlas, Jason; this is definitely one of the finest pieces of Star Wars literature and resource. Also, since I am interested in cartography, this book is especially interesting to me.

One question however regarding the Atlas (and I don?t know if this can be answered specifically); what is the political status of a sector? For instance does a planet being in a certain sector ?bail-it-in? politically with the other planets in that same sector, or does the sector merely have a ?geographical? purpose? By this I mean if, say Toydaria, was in the same sector as Ryloth, would that have some political repercussions, or would they be ? politically ? as separate as Toydaria and Alderaan (two different sectors). Are the sectors merely like geographical locations such as ?Scandinavia? or the ?Italian Peninsula?? Hope that was understandable...

Furthermore are these sectors exclusively following the reorganization of the galaxy under the Empire? Or, in other words, would this same map be different during both Galactic Republics (the old one and the new one)?

I ask this for my own benefit when creating my own ?Fan-Story? planets to make their placement as logical as possible.

25. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    from my Atlas knowledge:

Sectors are geographical and political entities that have a sector senator. Yet exceptions within a sector with single worlds, clusters etc. that are not part of the sector but have individual representation or even no participation in galactic government at all is possible as several canon sources show.

So far, all Atlas maps are if I am not mistaken here, timelinewise the latest, thus New Republic/NJO/Legacy Era (with the historical maps being the obvious exception showing how spacelanes and sector boarders etc. can move over time).

So long no other source clearly state they have not always been like that you might assume that past eras had similiar if not the same sector boarders and names. Though, as precious Atlas Supplements detailed, a lot changed with time.

Thus I'd say for those worlds who have individual or no representation in galactic government apart from the sector senator, the sector is indeed like "scandianvia" just a geographical designation and less a political one. This especially might be of concern for those worlds that have given up their sector senators representation in favor of joining f.e. the Trade Federation (which is dots spread across the galaxy! in multiple sectors) and is represented by the TDF Senator only. Same for other conglomerates senators that also act as political entities and not just economical ones.