main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. RS_Randy

RS_Randy Jedi Youngling

Jul 27, 2003
    Jason, I was wondering about the updated Atlas Appendix placing Blaudu Sextus in Prefsbelt on J-5, when Saba makes a pretty big deal in Vortex of Blaudu Sextus being in her home sector near Barab I on the other side of the galaxy! Just wondering if we should ignore the current Atlas' placement in favor of the original source. Otherwise, so far everything looks great. :)

I always appreciate your and Dan's work on this.

2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Oooooohh.... new map! [face_dancing]

I wondered why this kept being bumped... now I know.

Good stuff. It's great to see the Atlas continues to be a living, breathing creature that continues to evolve. :)

3. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Hmm, so for all intents and purposes, Raxus and Raxus Prime are now in the same solar system?

Btw, anyone noticed in this commentary video, the book itself is on the table at the production meeting with Filoni and Lucas? :cool:

4. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Aha! Good catch! I was baffled to read this at first, because I too remembered the Barab connection and was wondering how that could have gotten screwed up.

Here's the answer: The Blaudu Sextus entry was made after its brief mention in Allies. There's also a listing for the Regulan system, which contains Blaudu Sextus and Blaudu Octus, and happily it's in the right place. I forgot to remove the first entry when the second was made, and since they weren't the same, missed that there was a duplicate.

Anyway: Blaudu Sextus = Regulan, Albanin Sector, ORT, U-12.

Will put things right on the next go-round.

5. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Great question. The somewhat frustrating answer is that it depends on the sector.

In the post-Ruusan Republic/Empire/NR/GA there's one Senator per regional sector, with intrasector representation handled any number of different ways depending on the sector. So in terms of votes/politics at the Senate level, systems within the sector are indeed bailed in together. There are some exceptions, though: Some powerful systems (mostly but probably not exclusively in the Core) have their own Senators, and as CH notes, there are conglomerates/guilds/megacorps/other interests with their own Senators, and those organizations dominate some planets.

And this says nothing about political philosophies, just votes/Senate factions: There are undoubtedly lots of worlds that go their own way, vociferously arguing with other worlds in their sectors or pursuing an isolationist course.

For time purposes, the sector maps are as of the Battle of Yavin. If/when the sector maps are finished, you'll see more than 1,024 sectors, reflecting the Empire's expansion and reorganization of some sectors. This would have continued under the NR and beyond. From 1000 BBY until the Declaration of Empire, the 1,024 sectors would have been (presumably) static.

Note the 1000 BBY date: The regional sectors were introduced with the Ruusan Reformations. Before then, you had millions of smaller sectors (the old WEG model) that became subsectors after Ruusan. This was the retcon attempting to square the 1,024 sectors of the prequels with the WEG model.

HOWEVER, a number of recent works set before Ruusan have used the "modern" sector system, and I suspect this will continue. (There's an attempted retcon for this in the Knight Errant gazetteer.) It'll be interesting to see how this gets dealt with as new stories set before Ruusan get told, and to see if the Old Republic game changes things further.

Hope that's of some help and doesn't just make things more confusing.

6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Lambda Sector ended up with three Senators from the pre-AOTC HNN articles - one from Ando, one from the Andoan Free Colonies, and one from Rintonne. The one from Rintonne, however, was implied to be the one for the sector in general - and the Andoan Free Colonies could've been the replacement for Ando after Ando seceded (with the Andoans being one of the exceptions to the regional sector representation).
    I would assume that if there are exactly 1024 regional sectors, with the exceptions to the senatorial representation that there would be more than 1024 senators?

7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    There are definitely more than 1,024 Senators. This has been confirmed for some time, and the Atlas confirms it. There are the 1,024 Senators for the sectors, whom have the votes in the central chamber, but there are hundreds of other Senators who are not 'seated' Senators, due to the issues with having too many Senators to reach agreement.

To quote the Wookiee, which paraphrases the Atlas...

8. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Was the concept of 'unseated' Senators continued post-Ruusan (I don't have my copy of the Atlas handy right now)? I thought that the concept of the non-voting "Representatives" - such as Jar-Jar representing the Gungans as part of the Chommell Sector - replaced that.

9. Stormwizard

Stormwizard Jedi Padawan star 1

May 3, 2010
    TCW have introduced a beautiful new Trandoshan moon called Wasskah.
    Is this located near Kashyyyk/Trandosha or is it further away?

10. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Does that mean a moon of Trandosha or a Trandoshan colony planet?

11. Stormwizard

Stormwizard Jedi Padawan star 1

May 3, 2010
    According to the Episode Guide, this is "a Trandoshan moon", so I guess Wasskah is orbiting a Trandoshan colony planet.

I wonder if they also have a name for the planet that will be revealed in the Episode Guide,
    or if we will have to wait for Jason to reveal the name in his next clone wars reference book.

I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a name for the gasgiant that Rugosa is orbiting.

12. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    If there's any geographical issues, then being a colony world will make it much easier to deal with than if, say, Trandosha was said to be in a different system that Kashyyyk, or near Raxus or a similar situation.

13. LordDarthPaxis

LordDarthPaxis Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 23, 2010
    I think if it's made into a colony world we should call it Iwasskah to explain the earlier typo. Alternatively I think it would make a fun plot point if it was an illegal Trandoshan colony around the gas giant Alaris.

14. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    I asked the question as well on whether it was a Trandoshan colony moon or Trandosha's moon in TCW Continuity Thread as well. Wookiee indicates that Trandosha has a moon so either its retconned into having two moons or its a colony moon. Personally, I would lean in favour of a colony moon due to the hunting practices since I think the Trandoshans would at least try to keep such activity a secret from the Republic. If it was on their own moon, would be difficult to explain that away but if it was a colony moon; they could always just go down and say it was the action of rogue hunters or something like that.

15. EstarGuars

EstarGuars Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 20, 2011
    Very good map. I like how you´re trying to add the miscontinuity of The Clone Wars to the real and lovely continuity. And if in the next map Melmac appears in the Outer Rim, Jason Fry you will be my hero.

16. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    MID RIM MAP QUERIES:
    1) Are a lot of these Sector names new creations? Many don't ring a bell.
    2) I can't see Cerea on the map?
    3) On a related note, is the Cerean Quadrant one of the "Freestanding Subsectors"?
    4) Would I be correct in assuming the Freestanding Subsectors are not in the Republic? And that they [and Lannik Space] would technically be considered "Wild Space"?
    5) I am very curious to learn more about the Freestanding Subsectors, Jidlor Marches, and Lannik Space vs. Lannik Wilds.

COMMENT
    The map is, as always, awesome. I am very glad to see "Lannik Space" appear, which goes hand-in-hand with the Jedi Council comics depicting Lannik as outside the Republic.

New Vader comic raises questions: Do the Atoans inhabit more than one planet in the Ghost Nebula? And is the first world we see "Atoa"? Are it and the tar planet in the same system?

The Way of the Jedi est. Trandosha as having a habitable moon...Akoshissss...could Wasskah be an alternate name?

It would actually make a certain amount of sense. Akoshissss had quite a bit of wildlife not native [like reeks IIRC], which would make sense for a stocked hunters' moon.

17. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    I would request an explanation of Aquilaris/Aquilaris Minor and Gazzari/Gazzari Minor, please

ok, several new systems I cannot place the source of...any help?

Bravis
    Cirtappa
    Denebrilla
    D'Nile
    Garr'lst
    Gultanna
    Katalla
    Manakron
    Manoe
    Opitha Tren
    Phr'sha
    Plunder Moon
    Tartaria
    Terrelia
    Thory Prime
    Winnagew

18. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    The bit in the Atlas about sectors (and Jason's recent explanation) noted that the regional sectors were 'frozen' at 1024, with expansion of the Republic by either enlarging existing sectors or creating freestanding sub-sectors without representation. The Empire did merge some into new regional sectors, but probably not all.
    As far as the sector names - yes, in indexing them I noticed there's a lot of new ones - including outside the Mid Rim - Ixtlar Sector and Alsaka Sector in the Core, and Iseno Sector in the Inner Rim.

Cirtappa is from X-Wing: Alliance, in one of the training missions.

19. Cronal

Dec 17, 2009
    Plunder Moon is from Secret Missions 2: Curse of the Black Hole Pirates

20. LordDarthPaxis

Oct 23, 2010
    A lot of these I can't find any sources for although I'm sure they're from somewhere.

Cirtappa: I think I remember someone as saying this comes from one of the X-Wing games.
    Garr'lst: The Wook says it was "possibly mentioned" in Knight Errant whatever that means... :oops:
    Manakron: Mentioned in the Clone Wars episode where Cad Bane kidnaps C-3PO. 3PO once served as an ambassador to the system.
    Plunder Moon: Appears in Clone Wars Secret Missions 2: Curse of the Black Hole Pirates. Is used as a base by the Black Hole pirates but also apparently possesses a Temple with an Infinity Gate indicating it was once held by the Kwa.
    Terrelia: Presumably a mispelling of Terellia, the homeworld of the Terellian jango jumpers from the Clone Wars series.

EDIT: blackmyron actually mentioned Cirtappa as well.... I probably should have read on :p

21. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    I am interested in Gap Nine -- the site of a battle during the New Sith Wars. The Wook indicates it is in the Iast system, but I can't find anything in the original source -- A Taste of Adventure -- to support this. Gap Nine is also not in the Appendix. Anyone able to shed any light on this?

~ Eyrezer

22. Cronal

Dec 17, 2009
    I mentioned the Plunder Moon before you already but you didnt comment on that :( :p joking

23. LordDarthPaxis

Oct 23, 2010
    *Opens his mouth to apologise only to be led away by a force of black armoured stormtoopers* Oh God! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! :_|

24. rockman

rockman Jedi Youngling

Mar 20, 2011
    hehe...interesting one

25. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    comments: Nibiru apparently really is an Ewok colony, and Halm got a whole sector named for it...feel the Yoda Stories love

more update queries:

is Iphar the Ipharian-Da'Lor homeworld?

is Jalorian Sodality (from Jedi Twilight) inside the Jalor Sector? or do Jalor Sector and Outer Jalor Sector collectively comprise the Jalorian Sodality?

is Marzoon Sector = Marzoon Confederacy? Is Xoemefel part of the Marzoon Confederacy?

does Oktos Sector in Mid Rim have any connection to the Oktos Nebula (Ganatha Cloud) in Hutt Space?

isn't Sebaddon supposed to be in the Unknown Regions rather than Mid Rim?

why was Doaskin moved from Anoat to Bruanii?

how can Ikenomin Sector and Kakani Sector be in Zuma Regions, when Gamer alredy named all the sectors there? Are they in Inner Zume or Outer Zuma?

why was Rokaria moved from Ehosiq Sector (Expansion Region) to Tynquay Sector (Outer Rim)?