main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit X-wing: Mercy Kill - New Aaron Allston Wraith Squadron Novel (2012)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by cdgodin, Aug 14, 2010.

1. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    Any other ideas on the "two squadrons" plot? I suppose it could also merely be General Cracken or his successor being unnecessarily manipulative. Or some kind of PR distraction ploy (though how that would fit with the "unaware of each other" thing is shaky), like in Wraith Squadron, where Hobbie and Wes command an ad hoc Rogue unit while the original Rogues (sorta original, at least, since Wes and Hobbie totally are older than Corran and Gavin) fought the Bacta War.

2. aeods

aeods Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 3, 2004
    VERY dissapointed that it will be hardcover - but as I see that can of worms has already been discussed so I'll stay on topic - haven't bought a SW hardcover since Outcast and like others don't like the fact that it won't fit with the rest of the series. Since I'm buying the HC of Plageius and the 20th Anniversary Heir to the Empire though I might indulge myself and buy this in HC and then buy the PB. Haven't done that in a while.

Still really looking forward to this book, probably moreso than any SW book since..... Betrayal maybe? And this outranks even that, because the X-Wing series really IS my favourite SW series. It's just great that after years of fans saying that the one book series they want most is another X-Wing series set in the NJO or beyond, we're finally getting it. Based on sales, who knows, we might even get more.

The one thing that has struck me having just finished Krytos Trap for the umpteenth time is the way they treat the main characters. You get the odd mention of Han off fighting Zsinj, or Leia on the Council, and even an appearence by Luke at the end in a sort of celebrity role, but the main cast is full of completely unknowns. And you know what? This series worked brilliantly. I can't understand why Del Rey is only just now learning the lessons it should have known for the past 16 years that SW fans don't NEED the Big 3 to enjoy a story.

3. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Hm, guess I'm not buying this on the first day then. I love the X-wing series and all, but not quite ready to buy a SW hardcover, not unless it was certain other authors. On the one hand its kind of nice that an X-wing book gets to be a hardcover. On the other hand, its kind of sad that it won't fit in with the other nine books, all of which were paperbacks to begin with.

And I don't really have a good feeling about Star Wars hardcovers these days either. FotJ has been all hardcovers and have generally been a waste of that status, LotF's hardcovers (aside from Betrayal) weren't all that great either. Aside from Choices of One, most of the hardcovers in the last couple of years have been pretty bad (the TOR ones weren't that bad, but Red Harvest was a waste), while the paperbacks seem to be the better stories (like Knight Errant, Crosscurrent, etc.).

Well, hopefully since its Wraith Squadron it shouldn't be too bad. Although not sure I care for Del Rey making almost everything hardcover these days, it makes the few paperbacks seem like lesser projects (and its really sad when most of the better stories are there too).

I'm hoping that the title will fit. Invincible and Revelation were particularly bad considering its kind of hard to call anything in the ninth LotF book Invincible (unless you count Caedus' stupidity) and the so-called revelation of Revelation was... underwhelming to say the least. Although even Fury and Exile were kind of vague, as was Backlash and Conviction (well, Conviction sorta fit, but in a sad, depressing way). Betrayal and Outcast (despite the craziness of Admiral Daala legally kicking Luke Skywalker off Coruscant) at least were appropriate titles. Never had much problems with the old X-wing books, here's hoping this one won't be too vague or try to be too metaphorical (although the number of times the word vortex showed up in Vortex was probably too heavy-handed).

4. Darth_Xeres

Darth_Xeres Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 3, 2010
    I like the PR distraction ploy idea, but as you note, it would be hard to fit that with "unaware of each other" since in order for that idea to work, at least one unit has to be aware it's impersonating the other.

Given that, I wouldn't be surprised if the story is centered on the espionage side of the Wraiths rather than their piloting one since two Wraith Squadrons being openly part of the Alliance's fleet would IMO sooner rather than later learn of each other.

Yeah, I also wish we had more post-RotJ novels where the Big 3 have only cameos or minor roles at most, and where other characters take center stage. IMO Jaina at least would have benefited majorly from a post-LotF novel starring her where she gets to kick butt all on her own, without her parents or uncle around. Such a novel, if done well, would have made up for her, shall we say, underwhelming character arc in FotJ.

5. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    Hopefully such novels featuring Jaina and other non-Big Three characters are in the works given the news that the 9/3 model is going away (YAY!).

Also, given the interviews Allston's had so far, there will be a lot of spying, but I am happy that it's been included as an X-Wing book, as it means there probably will be a fair amount of flying as well.

6. xoubara

xoubara Jedi Master star 2

Mar 4, 2003
    News from Dragon Con: Allston confirmed Myri as a Wraith, and also that Face Loran is coming back.

On a side note, a Wraith character is going to appear in Zahn's next novel, scheduled for a november 2013 release. I post this here since we don't have a proper thread.

7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Allston was never good at writing space combat and it's never really been vital to his X-Wing novels. The X-Wing stuff is just a backdrop for him to do his thing.

8. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Wanna bet that the Zahn novel is pre LotF, and will involve, Luke, and Mara traveling to the EotH to meet up with the Hand of Judgment?

And since the Wraiths are involved, maybe Supreme Commander Pellaeon and Talon Karrde will tag along too.

9. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Just FYI, when Aaron confirmed Face will be in Mercy Kill, everyone cheered like crazy.

And when Zahn said he had to talk to Aaron about borrowing a Wraith, I called out "Face," and then everyone started chanting "Face!" to Zahn's amusement. :D

10. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    You need to reread the Enemy Lines duology, my friend. [face_peace]

Also, Myri as a Wraith? Kickass.

11. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Allston knows what the Wraith fans want. This is all very good news. :D

12. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
    I was at this panel, so a little bit of clarification. Zahn supposedly is planning to talk to Allston about borrowing a Wraith, but we don't know if that's for the November 2013 book or not.

Edit: A little more from D*C

At the SWEU Author Panel on Sunday, some of the biggest cheers from the audience came when Mercy Kill was mentioned. Lots of excitement for the new X-Wing book.

13. xoubara

Mar 4, 2003
    No wonder, it has been more than a decade since the last X-Wing book...

Were you at Stackpole's conference? What kind of reception did he get?

Thanks for pointing out the bit about Zahn's next book ;)

14. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    I was at several writing workshops Stackpole was running (if you ever get a chance to attend one, you should) and a couple panels he was on. There were a fair amount of questions at various panels directed at both Allston and Stackpole. Both seemed to be very popular with SWEU fans throughout the con. Hint, hint, DR and LFL.

15. xoubara

Mar 4, 2003
    I would really like to, but living in Spain has its problems :p I would totally go, though. Also to Celebration VI, Comic Con and a long etc.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    . . . did somebody say Myri?

17. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Yes. Aaron Allston did.

18. Lane_Winree

Mar 30, 2006
    When my friend told me Myri was going to be in Mercy Kill, there may or may not have been an "Eeeeeeeeee!" reaction from me

19. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    Lane I hate to say it, but there was definitely a fair amount of flailing from you once we heard Myri was going to be in it. And wasn't it confirmed she was a Wraith also?

and yes loads of questions were directed to those two.

20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Looks like I'll be buying this one! :cool:

At least a hardcover will match the books around it on the shelf. :p

21. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Hardcover? Yuck. I guess I'll get to this in a year or so.

22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I hear ya. But one thing you could do is check Ebay or Amazon. I've gotten most of my hardcover new released that way for the price of a softcover.

23. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Well, this is certainly nice to hear.

24. DanikKreldin

DanikKreldin Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 29, 2007
    Never really quite understood the hate for hardcovers. Amazon sells new release Star Wars hardcovers for anywhere from $14 to $17, which is a huge difference from the usual B&N/Borders price of $25-$30. I got Ascension for $15.80 with shipping and tax from Amazon when it first came out, which is only about $5-6 more than it will be when it's released on paperback. Unless you live outside the states or just don't like the feel of hardcovers... or just hate Amazon for some reason!

25. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    No hate for Hardcovers really, and I do live beyond the USA.

One of my issues is that while I want to read the novel because it is in a timeframe I enjoy, I can't honestly say I've ever read an Allston novel that I liked that much.

Blasphemy I know, but I did buy all 3 of Allston's hardcover entries in FOTJ just to keep reasonably current with the story. I think I've given enough considering I don't enjoy his writing very much.