main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 411: Kidnapped -- Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Barriss_Coffee, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    C_R, I know you were talking to someone else but I hold Obi-Wan in the highest regard, he's probably my favorite SW character if I had to pick, but I still completely disagree with your portrayal of that scene and what it means for him.

GG, I just did some research on what "mary sue" means since I wasn't exactly sure, and I have to say it's really an abuse of the term to use it just because they made her more powerful than you would like her to be or they made her the focus of a particular scene. What I read indicated that the term is primarily meant to describe a character accomplishing a completely unrealistic feat, which didn't happen, or doing something that other characters who were supposed to be more powerful couldn't, which also didn't happen. Obi-Wan was about to subdue the dude when he escaped, I don't think anyone would say Anakin couldn't have done it, Ahsoka just wound up being in the right place at the right time. I also don't think it's over-the-top unrealistic for a Force-user with two lightsabers who is extremely agile to defeat a brute with a whip who is big, bulky, and slow. Therefore, I see no "mary sue" qualifiers in that scene.

2. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I just get tired and annoyed of his smug, sarcastic portrayal in TCW, and his voice. I also don't get when people say he's not used enough. But I don't mind him in the films or the micro-series. Like I said in this thread before, I think he was done well in this episode (not just when he was getting beat to a pulp).[face_laugh]

3. Confederate_Republic

Confederate_Republic Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2011
    Okay, I can understand what you are saying, and even agree in some ways, and I hold no disrespect for your opinion. Though there is one major thing I personally disagree with:

You hate Obi-Wan because you find him "Smug and Sarcastic" okay, maybe Sarcastic, yes, but your forgetting one major thing...

WARNING MAJOR RANT. ANAKIN FANS BEWARE

Anakin "I'm such a hot badass" Skywalker is by far the single most smug, grating, whiny, over the top, self focused little ***** I have EVER seen appear in this TV Show. Let's see...

He is EXTREMELY self-obsessed to the point of narcissism. He always feels the need to brag about how all the women love him, how he can do any mission, defeat any foe, all around act like a Gary-Stu, and get away with it "Just cause" If people wonder where Ahsoka gets her "Don't you think I'm a little over-qualified?" from? HERE IT IS!

He feels the need to act like a smartass clown for "Laughs" and the writers just LOVE giving this quality to him.

He is WHINY. I don't care HOW MUCH people think he has improved since the movies, HE IS STILL WHINY.
    "Oh, so I'm still the delivery boy?"
    "Does my battalion have to do EVERYTHING?"

And here comes the Single.Largest.Problem.

People complain on how Ahsoka is a Mary-Sue. I will not deny nor conform such feelings, however, I will say the following.

Anakin is a GARY-STU!

Now, everyone will say "But Confederate! HE is the CHOSEN ONE!"

Yes, he is. Except there is one fatal flaw with that. The "Chosen One" does not mean someone is the single most badass warrior in the galaxy that can single handed cut through a battalion of Super Battle Droids and slay fearsome "Monsters" without a scratch. The whole point of the "Chosen One" is the one who will BRING BALANCE TO THE FORCE.

Wiping out droid armies, destroying super-weapons, and killing monsters and baddies does NOT qualify as "Bringing Balance to the Force" The position of the "Chosen One" As I can tell, is NOT a WARRIOR. Does this make Anakin extremely important? YES! Does it make him more powerful with a Lightsaber then any other Jedi in the order? NO!

But for some reason the show seems OBSESSED with making the "Chosen One" the roll of most badass Jedi/Warrior in the galaxy. Let's just see how much he has changed from previous canon portrayals:

He is no longer a Padawan, he is a full fledged Jedi.
    He is no longer a Commander, but a GENERAL with (Formerly) his own Command Ship and entire fleet under his command, and personal naval officer.
    He has A PADAWAN.
    He has A PADAWAN.
    He has A PADAWAN.

The show feels the need to give him the qualities of Han Solo (Badass and cool), Obi-Wan Kenobi (Mentor and leader), AND Luke Skywalker (Hero of existence) ALL AT ONCE.

Oh, and he is just about involved in EVERY SINGLE BATTLE. There was NO REASON for him to be on Dac demonstrating his Sushi-Making skill with Quarren. NO. REASON. There was NO REASON for him to be the ONLY Jedi to have a full roll during the Second Battle of Geonosis, where every other Jedi General only had one.

Ki-Adi-Mundi: Landing
    Luminara: Primary Assault
    Obi-Wan: Clean Up
    Anakin: Everything

Anakin has had action scenes in SIX Episodes, Obi-Wan has in ONE this season. THAT is why people say Obi-Wan is underused. I can understand a dislike of Obi-Wan or Ahsoka's personalities, even AGREE. But why is it NO ONE EVER comments Anakin is OVE

4. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    That's okay, it was hilarious even if I only very slightly agree. [face_laugh]

Still, one of the key characteristics of a "mary sue" that I read said that they would only have positive character traits. You listed a bunch of character traits which might seem to conflict (I would argue conflicting characteristics coexist in all of us anyway, which GL has said is one of the points of the Force/SW), but you only listed positive character traits there, which would make him a "gary stu." But we've definitely seen him go Dark Side across multiple seasons in TCW, so his personality is not portrayed all one-way as a "mary sue"'s would.

5. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm not sure that Obi-Wan could have won the fight in just a hand-to-hand contest; I like to think he could have, but I'm not sure. He punched him and seemed to hurt his hand, seemed to genuinely struggle in places, and chose to call his lightsaber back to him in the end. Maybe zhygerrians have naturally tough skin?

Put that guy up against Mace Windu, though, he's going down. Kar Vastor was a monster.

6. Confederate_Republic

Jul 21, 2011
    You're right about the "Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu" thing. I wish there was a more proper word for how I feel. Anyway, thanks for an intelligent read. I was a little worried I'd only get comments like

"U mad bro?"

When I first posted :p

7. David_Skywalker01

David_Skywalker01 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2006
    Uh, this is George Lucas we are talking about... Darth Maul anyone?

8. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Confederate_Republic: lol Anakin is one of my favorite SW characters. But seriously, did you ask me why I didn't like Obi-Wan just so you could unleash your Anakin Rage?[face_laugh]

9. Confederate_Republic

Jul 21, 2011
    Ehhhh, I think of it more as something a long time coming I got a convenient excuse for [face_mischief]

In any case. Opinions. They're great because you don't have to agree with them. :D

10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    This episode has produced some of the most amusing rants yet. [face_laugh]

Reminds me of this:

ANAKIN: There are so many! Do they all have a system of planets?
    QUI-GON: Most of them.
    ANAKIN: Has anyone been to them all?
    QUI-G0N: Not likely.
    ANAKIN: I want to be the first one to see them all...

Which is exactly what he did. [face_skull]

11. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Prison Break arc?

12. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Yup this

13. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I agree, also. No need to make more of these Droids Adventures, or anything on their level of silliness. We've had enough of the Droids on their own with their own series back in the 80's.

14. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    I certainly enjoyed this more than the Mon Cal trilogy

15. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    It's a completely different context to Maul. And does anyone actually think they'd double back on this, one of the most emotional moments in the show's history (some might say), to bring him back to appear in maybe every 10th episode? He's not even a major enough character to warrant bringing back, and if they did it would ruin his death scene.

But anyways, this is all very off-topic.

16. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I actually thought you were saying that sarcastically as a reference to Maul and they didn't get it, NotAFanBoy. [face_laugh]

17. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    Yeah, the arc with the escape (Bossk, Cad Bane, Bobba Fett, etc....)

18. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    How do you know who will be in the ep already? Besides, this isn't even the right thread to talk about this. Oops!

19. Darth_Gamek

Aug 10, 2009
    Filoni confirmed those characters.

STAY ON TARGET

20. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    If you insist on spoiling future episodes in the wrong thread you can at least black highlight them!!!

21. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Actually go to the TCW discussion thread.

22. KelDorMaster

KelDorMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 29, 2005
    Thank you. This should really be enforced.

23. Darth_Gamek

Aug 10, 2009
    STAY ON TARGET

24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    First off, yeah, stay on target.

Secondly, those spoilers weren't confirmed by Filoni. They're assumptions based on the trailer from this summer.

25. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    ^ Barriss, is that... Agent Smith with a lightsaber?

Sorry, back on track back on track!

I wonder if I should do more scene by scene rants like I did for this one and the Mon Calamari episode.....