main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Dawn of the Jedi: Force Storm #2 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Nov 30, 2011.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Cover image courtesy of Rebelscum. No description, as far as I can tell.
    [image=http://www.rebelscum.com/2011/SWDOTJ02.jpg]

But seriously, a rancor with wings and horns! Can't get more awesome than that.

2. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Saw that a little bit earlier...that's an intense looking rancor.

3. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    great cover, nice dathomiri... weird rancor.... and my worries for Dathomir continuity increased even more now.

4. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    SITHSPAWN!

5. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    "Seriously? A rancor with wings! Okay, that's just overkill."

I just had to modify an Invasion line for this :p

6. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Cool :D Is that really a Rancor? I mean with a Dathomiri in the series, one would think a Rancor would possibly be seen though I don't think we have ever seen a winged Rancor before... mind you, always a first time [face_mischief]

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It looks rather like a Sithspawn-style alchemical experiment. Given the sound of the promo material, I wouldn't be surprised to see the early Je'daii experimenting with techniques that the Jedi move away from after the First Great Schism.

8. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008

I think Havac's right on target here. This is very likely what would be called Sith alchemy 18,000 years later. But at this point, it's Elder Godlings playing with powers they still don't quite understand all the ramifications of.

As Mr. Ostrander put it in the Comic Book Resources interview, "The Je'daii don't see a division of the light and dark side; instead, they believe a balance is necessary between the two. The Je'daii are like the Titans in Greek mythology who came before the gods. They are beings of great power and ability, but not all-knowing. They struggle with the idea of balance in the Force and know that being out of balance affects their power and the planet Tython itself."

And while flying rancors are both :eek: and :cool:, this cover is just reinforcing what I'm hoping for from this series - insanely high-level Force manipulation, stuff that makes the word epic be applicable, and which echoes down through the ages to make the Jedi truly wary of overusing the Force.

If this is the age of legends, then crank that amp up to 11 and blow the roof off the place. :D[face_praying][face_peace]

9. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    That is disturbing on so many levels. [face_plain]

10. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    A... flying rancor? Well... why not, I guess. Should be really interesting to see how or why something like that came about. They were experimenting? They were bored? They thought it looked cool? Not entirely sure I like the idea that Dathomiri and rancors go back this far, but being worried about Dathomiri continuity is pointless by now. Although if that person is riding on the back, is that rancor smaller than the OT era ones? Although even then it flying would seem... unlikely, but then with Force/Sith alchemy who knows.

11. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Hmmm, an interesting line of thought, I quite like that and makes sense. I mean if these were the early Jedi then they might have experimented with shaping life itself to suit their needs and maybe it blew up in their faces in that time. Should be quite interesting to see if thats the case.

12. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Rancor...with a wing?! Will the Force Wars change everything?

13. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Red Sith gives you wings!

Though this is probably the end for our young witch there as she realizes you need more than wings to fly and overall the Rancor is just not aerodynamic.

14. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Rancors with wings? Cool. :cool:

I wonder what's next? Hutts with legs? Gungans with brains?

15. Kaje

Kaje Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2005
    Anyone familiar with the 3rd-party dnd setting Dawnforge? I've just realized that that's exactly what this era is. And that is AWESOME.

16. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I'm looking forward to this like a kid at Christmas. This and Plageuis are my Red Rider Carbine Action Rifle (with a compass and a thing that tells time)!

17. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Captain Tarpals would like to have a word with you.

But seriously, this is so cool. As for issues with Darthmori continuity, I think that has been karked up beyond all repair by now, so this can't hurt.

18. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    first of all, you so easily give up dathomir continuity? are you crazy? no wonder they do no longer care for continuity if the fans don't either... a pity.

well, and dathomir continuity is not yet harmed by this. I got retcons for all eventualities finished and ready already and this era is unexplored so far, so Dathomir continuity has lots of room to evolve and change over time. some precedents of similiar stuff like later in timeline are no problem and easily fixable within thousands of years.

still, I hope they handle continuity with care and much better.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Dathomir continuity is already in need of a retcon (since the women are all female Zabrak hybrids now, or something... does that mean Tenel Ka and Allana are part Zabrak?)

This will probably be easily retconned. A group of warrior women were on Dathomir before, handmaidens of the Kwa warriors. When the Kwa left/de-evolved, most of the Dathomiri died off, but a small group remained. That small group would later interact with and influence future human and Zabrak visitors, who become the modern Dathomiri.

20. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    I am not giving up on it, just acknowledging that at the moment, nothing can really be done about it since the Clone Wars isn't done with it yet, so this won't make much a difference. I want it fixed in the future.

21. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

Zabrak colony is small and only on one continent. nightsisterclan interbred with them, rest of dathomir still is pure human as in EU... no need for a retcon cause we knew this already thx to Chee and his Insider article.

do not generalize where it does not need be ;)

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I hadn't really been following it closely.

But do you think my potential retcon for this series, DOTJ, would work? It doesn't seem that hard to fix.

23. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

yub could work ;) interested in mine? needs some explaining but here it comes and yeah I know I put too much into it... would be happy with a reduced version also, but let me know what you think:

Dawn of the Jedi: human Dathomiri warrior females, redheaded, forcesensitive

Kwa and Gree are locked in an eternal rivalry and warfare with their Infinity Gates and Gree Hypergates...
    Rakata fight Kwa and Gree?
    Gree and Kwa unite against Rakata, but loose and to ensure their species survival devolve into Kwi and primitive Gree?

Rakatan's bring human slaves with them to Dathomir as workforce?
    Rakata leave humans behind when they leave for other frontlines...
    on a small continent, few hundred humans begin to settle the planet slowly...
    Having to survive against Rancors and Dathomirs other dangers, they are reduced to near extinction multiple times preventing a large spreading of their settlements except for few fortified clancities...
    They discover the Force and wield it akin to Rakatan Masters use forming their own Forcewitchcult of battlehardened Forceusers?
    Due to Dathomirs strange nature, only females are born Forcesensitive, or stronger in the Force than their male counterparts, leading to them taking on guardroles and shaping early matriarchic traditions...
    A celestial Tho Yor comes and takes some of them to Tython to help found the Jedi?

Millennia later, the Forcewitches have a matriarchy and as the Rakatans enslaved them, their Forceusers (females) enslave the nonforceusers (males)?
    Their numbers are only in the thousands and below 1 million due to dathomirs dangerous wildlife...
    Lead by Paecia, a female Forcewitch, they leave Dathomir for the first time since the Tho Yor and begin to colonize nearby worlds thx to crashed spacers repairing their ships and taking some of them with them in exchange for help with the repairs. Paecia then expands her domain and another world is named after her, the Paecian Empire born. A matriarchic Empire lead by a Forcewitch-Queenmother. (Some of them are captured too by Lorell Raiders and brought to the Hapes Cluster, bringing matriarchic thoughts with them.)
    Though those children not born on Dathomir show various Forcesensitive qualities, not just for females, so the Paecian Empire soon looses its Forcesensitive leadership for a regular one.
    The human Paecian empire florishes and keeps Dathomir as prison planet because of its dangerous wildlife.
    With the various Sith Wars the Paecian Empire falls during the New Sith Wars and Sith ally with the former prison worlds still forcesensitive Dathomir witches and build an Academy for Alchemy on Dathomir. With the vanishing of the Sith, Dathomir is forgotten again and the witches stranded, nearly wiped out by the Jedi. Also the male forceusers of the Sith unsettled the witches and their male dominance lead to rebellions on dathomir by male slaves. Female Sith however felt quite at home.
    A Zabrak colony is established after a Zabrak ship crash-landed on Dathomir leading to hybrids with human nightsister witches on a small continent separate fr

24. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Or maybe Tarpals was a Sithspawn Gungan, too? [face_mischief]

Mutant Gungans aside, I still want to see a Hutt with caterpillar legs. [face_Tongue]

25. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Its kind of hard to care about continuity in an EU where you never know where something like TCW might come rampaging through. Still, as its a Dark Horse comic, I expect great things, especially given who the authors are. It seems kind of funny having Dathomiri history stretch this far back, but oh well, some planets just have really eventful histories.