main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"The sky is falling! The sky is falling!" Maybe not...

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Bib Fortuna Twi'lek, Dec 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Here is an article from Juz about Theed Palace. Notice what I have bolded near the end of the article.

Author:
    JoeHelfrich
    Date Posted: 12/1/2001

About Justin Pakes is put Under the Microsope

Justin Pakes spends his time as both the official rulings source for SWCCG and as a CCG designer. We managed to rip him away from both jobs for a few minutes to answer some questions about the recently wrapped Theed Palace set, as well as the future of SWCCG.

Justin Pakes is put Under the Microsope

Q: The climactic part of The Phantom Menace is obviously the duel between Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Darth Maul. So I must admit I was surprised to see so much of that released in Reflections III. What?s left for Theed Palace?
    Theed Palace was designed before Reflections III, but we found the set was too large to fit everything we wanted into it. It included the Gungan army, the droid terrors, the capture of the Viceroy, and the lightsaber duel, and that didn't even account for the space battle!

So basically we stripped the lightsaber combat characters, cards, and mechanics from Theed Palace and placed them into the Reflections III product, along with a lot of classic trilogy premium-level cards. Theed Palace contains everything else from the multi-faceted conclusion to Episode I. And that's still a lot!

Q: The set was originally advertised as a 270-card set. Is that still correct?

Theed Palace is a 120-card set with 40 rares, 40 uncommons, 40 commons, and nine alternate image rares. All cards are Episode I-themed, so besides pumping up normal tournament and friendly play, it also considerably boosts the Episode I-only environment.

Q: Will the Qui-Gon with Lightsaber and Darth Maul with Double Bladed Lightsaber be released in Theed Palace?

Yes! Non-foil versions of these monstrous enhanced characters are normal rares in this set, but winning Episode I tournaments remains the only way to get your hands on a foil version of these bad boys.

Q. What about Sidious? Will he make an appearance? And if so, how will he work with The Emperor and Senator Palpatine?

If you are a visitor to www.decipher.com, you will have noticed that Darth Sidious has been revealed there in all his evil glory!

As for his relationship to the Senator and The Emperor, for game play purposes all three are completely different personas. In this way, they can all be on table at once, and all are referred to independently from the others (Emperor, Palpatine, Sidious).

Many who have listened to the director's commentary from the Episode I DVD believe that these characters are finally revealed as being the same person. All I can say is that we went straight to LucasFilm for how these three personas should be represented. I am as in the dark as the next Star Wars fanatic, but I know that one should never underestimate the imagination (and sneakiness!) of George Lucas!

Q: We?re still a few weeks away from the release of Theed Palace, so we don?t know much about the set yet. Can you guys give us any hints as to what we?re going to see?

Cards have started to be revealed on www.decipher.com as we speak, so keep an eye out there for daily revelations! I must admit to being a fan of the Dark Side objective, Invasion/In Complete Control. Neimoidians and their mechanized terrors are surprisingly effective, and this is the only card in the game that lets you start with a capital starship on the table!

Overall, I think Destroyer Droids (suitably!) broke the popular theory that droids were close to useless for battle in Star Wars CCG. The battle droids and droid starfighters from this set will push that old preconception back even further.

And one of my favorite contributions to this set? Keep an eye out for a brief appearance by Anakin Skywalker.

Q: Any other insights into the design process for Theed Palace you wish to add?

Joe Alread and I had more fun designing and playtesting this set than any other in recent memory. There is also some "back to basics" pleasure in swarms of droids and tanks rollin

2. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    The optimist in me echoes your sentiments, Bib.

However, the pesimist in me says it doesn't prove anything. We assume Decipher is at least trying to keep the license, and thus of course they would have future products planned just in case they are successful.

3. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    According to this interview, it seems to me that these products are out of the "brainstorm" stage and into pre-production--which seems to tell me that we can expect to see SWCCG products next year.

4. Ocelot_X

Ocelot_X Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2001
    Just to play devil's advocate, when exactly does Decipher's license expire? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it lasted through April, meaning that until May 1st, they would be able to continue business as usual with SWCCG. Now, the Lucasfilm blackout on SW products lasts from January 1st through March 31st, again, as is my understanding. That would leave Decipher the entire month of April 2002 to release new SWCCG products even if they are losing the license.

Of course, I may have been wrong about the dates. Can anyone verify them?

5. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    It confirms one thing: Decipher wants to keep the lis... I HATE THAT WORD!

Anyway, the game would only be dead if theer were no plans. I mean, Juz could've just said: Nothing is planned!

Hey, products relating to the 4 movies? Neat.

6. Anakin_Solo73

Anakin_Solo73 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2001
    I thought the agreement ends on April 1. The month of April is when we are bombarded with Episode 2 products.

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    They can't produce anything between January and April. Since the current license expires in April, that means the 4 products in question will be released after April, and therefore, Decipher is renewing their license.

8. Ocelot_X

Sep 16, 2001
    Bib: April production and sales are NOT covered by the current license? That's great news then.

9. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Though I love the card game, and want to see more cards (from Decipher), I think MORE cards relating to the four movies (which we already have countless cards for) is a little....overdone.

10. Jedikynes

Jedikynes Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 15, 2001
    well there are some deck types that they couldn't do back then they are going back and doing now. MAybe fix the problems with Dantooine Base Operations, maybe give both sides an objective dealing with hoth. But there are still cards to be made from all the movies.

11. Anakin_Solo73

Oct 4, 2001
    Cards I think Decipher still needs to create:

Hoth objectives

More Hoth Sites:
    Hoth: Ice Plains (Light)
    Hoth: Mountains (Light)
    Hoth: Wampa Cave (Light)
    Hoth: Snow Trench (Dark)
    Hoth: Main Power Generators (Dark)
    Hoth: Echo Base Luke's Quarters (Light)
    Hoth: Echo Base Wampa Holding Pen (Light & Dark) [Anyone familiar with cut scenes from Empire Strikes Back will get this card]

Light Side Wampas.

TK-421 (Undercover Luke)

Notable background characters:

Rebel Starship Mechanics from ANH, ESB, and RotJ
    Unique Rebel Troopers
    Unique Stormtroopers

A card that allows Leia to be dueled

Objectives dealing with the Duel on Cloud city

Dash Rendar's Snowspeeder

More Jedi Council Members

More Naboo Security Officers

Cards to enhance Echo Base and Snowtroopers

Unique Rebel Troopers

Cards to make Commander Luke Skywalker useful

Fixer

Something to help DBO (Possible Dantooine Sites)

More Podracer Pilot Character Cards

More Podracers

Red 4 with John D. A pilot left out from ANH

Redo cards to make Attack Run and Commence primary Ignition more playable. Possible Death Star II Epic Event Design for both sides.

More starships from The Phantom Menace

More Black Squadron Starships

A-Wing Assualt Squadron Card

Tie Interceptor Assault Squadron Card

Yoda's and Mace Windu's Lightsaber

I'm sure there's more.

12. Ocelot_X

Sep 16, 2001
    Booster Terrik. He's mentioned in the text for Pulsar Skate, but so far hasn't been made. And if they make Booster, they'll have to make Errant Venture, the first Light Side Star Destroyer.

13. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    These all sound good to me, and I use Commander Luke, and he is already useful, since he can be pulled by EBG.

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Don't forget Tallon Karrde's ship, the Wild Karrde, which I believe is even pictured on the R2 admiral's order, and was gonna be in the set but for whatever reason was dropped from the set. So that card exists, just waiting to be printed::)

15. Anakin_Solo73

Oct 4, 2001
    The is a light side weapon from Death Star II that says it can deploy on 'your Star Destroyer'. I think it's the turbo-laser batteries.

16. Spud The Hutt

Spud The Hutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 30, 1999
    How about those Jedi Communicators?

Boomas for Gungans, not Faambas.

Anakin Skywalker (Not the effect)

R2-D2's Jet Pack (Can be seen on the cutting room floor for Ep 1)

Boba Fett's Rocket Launcer and Flame Thrower

Bilbo Baggins (Oops, wrong game)

Power Converters

Sharad Hett and A' Sharad (Tuskin Jedi that Ki Adi Mundi found on Tatooine in the Star Wars: Outlander comic series)

Holograms from Episode 1

Nerfs and Gundarks

And more Jedi from Ep1

As Always,
    Spud

17. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    Just give me one Interdictor Cruiser and I will be happy :)

18. pinbstr300

pinbstr300 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2001
    for everyone's knowledge, I found out today (at my local card shop) that Decipher has LOST the rights to produce SW games. it will be transferred to WOTC :( I am really upset about this because wizards is gonna screw everything up. oh well, just thought everyone would like to know

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Personally, I think Rick (the guy who owns the shop in question) or his dealer/supplier/whatever was mistaken. I won't believe Decipher has lost the liscence to WOTC until I see some sort of official statement or press release, especially since this is third or fourth hand "knowledge".

20. Young_Ben

Young_Ben Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2001
    Even if Decipher loses the licence I personally will still play and I have the feeling that there are some other people will stay too.
    I do think that there should be other cards made but for right now what we have should be enough.

21. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    From a collector's POV, of which I am not, wouldn't the loss of Decipher's Star Wars licence drive card values up after a couple of years?

22. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    That's just not true. Decipher wouldn't be able to produce the "four new poroducts" next year if that were the case. And the fact that LFL allowed D to announce that much attests to the fact that D WILL be around for another year of SWCCG goodness.

Also, and this may have already been mentioned in another thread, but apparently LFL is looking into letting wotc produce a card game of their own that would be tied into the RPG. I have heard this from a few of my CCG sources. So take that for what you will.

23. Anakin_Solo73

Oct 4, 2001
    Don't care what WotC does as long as The Decipher Game Continues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.