main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 422: Revenge Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Barriss_Coffee, Mar 11, 2012.

1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Was okay, I'm guess. Maul seems like a much clunkier fighter this time around, but I'm sure a loss of agility is to be expected with shiny new robot legs.

I wonder if Ventress truly is "one of the good guys now". Hopefully not, but the interaction between her and Obi-Wan was interesting.

In the context of larger canon, the Nightsisters most definitely use the Force. They were around long before Filoni started using them.

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Welcome to the future of SW. Some EU creators are the same way.

3. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    From an article promoting the premiere of this past season:

So unless over the course of writing Season 6 Lucas threw in the towel, I can't see season 6 as being planned out as the last.

4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Top 5 Most Iconic Star Wars Moments:

1. Luke gazing out over the Tatooine double sunset
    2. The "I Am Your Father" revelation at the end of ESB
    3. That one part with Oppo Rancisis
    4. Order 66
    5. Obi-wan vanishing as he is struck by Vader's saber

5. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Interesting to note that, in this episode, Obi-Wan's rage apparently "unbalances him", and actually hurts his performance against Maul. Around a decade earlier, though, Obi-Wan's rage actually helps him, and may very well have been what allowed him to survive (or, at least, cut Maul's saber in half). It could honestly be some sort of indication that Obi-Wan has actually grown, that rage no longer aids him in a fight, the way it would a more inexperienced padawan who is still very susceptible to the dark side.

Still, I'll reiterate that I miss super-agile Maul. And I wish he would cut down the chit-chat a bit. He's supposed to detest dun moch, not use it at every opportunity (though I guess death can change a man).

6. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    ^I didn't understand the inconsistency to be honest. Why is it that Obi-Wan getting angry causes him to lose when the Sith getting angry cause them to win? Why does anger and hate give Anakin focus while it just causes Obi-Wan to slip up? The Dark Side is supposed to be some quick and easy path to power, while for Obi-Wan it's a quick path to screwing up.

7. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I don't they should make Ventress become a hero/really good person. She should remain a dark jedi, however i don't mind the writers making her "less bad" or even on the level of an anti-hero. I just don't want to see her be to good. For example, perhaps she makes her own moral code. For example, perhaps she would decide not to kill innocent life (so she won't kill kids like say Maul), but she has no problem with murdering people, even if it isn't in self-defense, those who aren't innocent or perhaps just those she doesn't see as innocent.

So sure writers, make Ventress more of an Anti-hero, just don't make her to good. Even if she has a sort of change of heart....she should NEVER act like a jedi. She is a DARK jedi for a reason.

8. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Gotta disagree completely...
    OW's rage only gets him thrown down a shaft by Maul. It's when he was at his angriest that he left himself open to a simple, and rage-less, force push from Maul.

It was concentration that won him the fight (focusing on QG's saber, etc.).

9. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I interpreted Maul's taunt differently. Obi-Wan realizes it was wrong to use his hatred when he defeated Darth Maul, and Maul bringing that up brings back old guilt for Obi-Wan and that's why it trips him up, not because getting angry has gone from something that helps him to something that hurts him. He's a more mature Force user now who I think deeply regrets using his anger to "kill" Darth Maul.

10. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009

Well said.

11. HighlanderC

HighlanderC Jedi Master star 1

May 26, 2005
    So... in all these insane years of survival of Darth Maul with crippled legs, how much training did he have? With a lightsaber?

How much training did Obi Wan have? He is a master now... Darth maul should have been a walk in the park and maybe, just maybe Opress be the big adversary here. Maul was portrayed too strong or was it Obi Wan portrayed too weak? A little of both it seems.

12. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I think you're right on both counts.

13. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I feel like, after his fight with Maul, he's more or less "solidified" on the light side. Sure, Obi-Wan faces the same danger of falling to the dark side that Anakin does, but he's likely much more resistant to it. At this point, he's a much more refined individual, and I can't really see the "quick and easy way" applying to him as much, particularly since he's likely reached much of his potential.

Oh yeah, I didn't mean to imply that rage was what won him the fight. He was in the same position that Luke was in Return of the Jedi, and like Luke, he was able to pull himself back. Only meant that Obi-Wan's rage temporarily allowed him to surprise Maul, enough to cut his saber in half.

You have to consider that, for the first two decades of his life, Maul did nothing but train. At least 8 of those years were spent mastering every form of lightsaber combat. This is the guy that easily defeated the battlemaster of the Jedi order. Those skills really don't just go away.

On the other hand, he does likely have to get used to his robotic legs, since he always emphasized his agility in fights. Now, he's much slower, and has to fight a bit more like his brother, and of course he's also lacking his double bladed lightsaber.

Still, I do like how they're portraying Maul as a very powerful Sith Lord, and not simply an adept assassin.

14. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    The problem with the fight when Obi-wan initially encounter Maul and Savage was it was rushed and the characters should have been switched. Stilly to think of should haves. But maybe something more like a group of clones should have gone in with Obi-wan. They could of been dispatched by Savage or Maul while Obi-wan dealt with the other. If they wanted Obi-wan to get believably knocked out by Savage he could of been distracted by the carnage or trying to save one of his men. Actually a clone or three could have made a good proxy with the audience by pretty much saying and commenting what the audience felt. That sort of thing tends to make better pills easier to swallow.

15. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    He didn't use his anger to "kill" Maul.

I thought Anakin did that.

16. Jabba_The_Hutt_123

Jabba_The_Hutt_123 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 29, 2003
    Maybe that's the reason Yoda thought he wasn't ready for Sidious in ROTS, beaten by Maul again and again :p
    Then again in that case there's no way the Council would send him to take out Grievous.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Yeah there is. Grievous can't even use the Force.

Sidious > Obi-Wan > Grievous

18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Here's the one which makes me believe there will only be 6 seasons:

And here's the article itself.

19. Jabba_The_Hutt_123

Jabba_The_Hutt_123 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 29, 2003
    I meant it as in they always face off in CW and never get anywhere.

20. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Truth. Using his anger got him a force-push to the face.

21. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010

22. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Perhaps you're right except - one thing is achieved out of it and it's the downgrading of a certain Jedi's reputation. IMHO.

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It's one of the things about the EU that I don't like. But regarding "future"... do you think this is likely to become more prevalent?

24. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Can I just say I HATED THIS FREAKING EPISODE

Robimus, Esg, Drewton and 4 others like this.
  25. Cary_the_Brave

Cary_the_Brave Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 5, 2012
    I'd give it a 7.5/10. The return of Maul was little cheesy and related too much to Savage's creation the previous season. The whole Maul-now-wants-to-conquer-the-galaxy-after-twelve-years was a little cumbersome and somewhat a quagmire. The Raydonian crisis was okay, but the duel on the planet was so simplistic and you could tell Obi-Wan didn't stand a chance.The whole Ventress-Kenobi alliance disappointed me the most, seeing these two odds finally work together. Save good and bad guy for Vader and Luke. The duel was good though.