main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Revolution in the Muslim World

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Lowbacca_1977, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    As I mentioned on the temp boards, my son was born the day that Mubarak stepped down in Egypt. It is my hope that Assad will step down the day my daughter is born.

We are now in "any day now" territory, and my wife has been having contractions since Thursday. Assad's days are numbered, I tell you!

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I don't think it'd necessarily change anything. As far as I know the Libyan rebellion never coalesced around a single individual, and the various leaders never really banded together, either. It's more geopolitically complex in Syria than Libya; Libya had been at best a peripheral nation whose leader mainly just spouted conspiracy theories in the UN; Syria has actual allies and stuff :p

3. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    From what I've heard, a lot of Syrians are frustrated and angry that the West isn't coming to their aid. Now of course there's no way to tell how widespread this sentiment is, but isn't that why we need a more or less cohesive leadership from the rebels? You're probably right that the rebels might not welcome Western troops or warplanes fighting their war for them, but they'd probably be much more amenable to being supplied with weapons since supposedly they now have more fighters than they have weapons.

4. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I've heard that as well, and first hand at that, from some expatriate Syrians that I know. However, as you noted, we wouldn't know how widespread either sentiment is. I certainly wasn't suggesting that I know better than you or others; just that we shouldn't assume too much.

5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Wow, some Egyptians just stormed our embassy, tore down our flag and ripped it up.

Apparently the U.S. consulate in Libya was sacked too.

6. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    With one American dead and another wounded.

7. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Latest reports have 4 Americans dead in Libya, including our Ambassador.

8. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    October surprise come a bit early this year.

9. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
  10. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    This is just sickening to watch. First, there's the seeming ignorance of Arab society at large about the importance of free speech. Do these protestors seriously think that it's the job of foreign governments to crack down on every jackass that insults their religion or that we have an obligation to follow certain tenets of their religion? Second, there's the malice of all the Terry Joneses here in the West who exploit this Arab ignorance to deliberately provoke a violent response. At this point I'm convinced that they want to sabotage relations between the West and the Arab world. These people are always talking about an inevitable war of civilizations, and then they go and do their utmost to try to make that war happen.

11. TheGuardianofArlon

Feb 26, 2007
  12. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    What really gets me is that this happened in Benghazi, a city that probably would have been flattened by Qaddafi if there had been no intervention.

13. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Ah, the World Net Daily, the same site that put out Birther nonsense. This is where you get your news on the Egypt from?

14. TheGuardianofArlon

Feb 26, 2007
    Nope, mostly from persecution websites, just put that link as it was the first thing to come up to post a point. But if you search you'll find other sites with it as well.

15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It seems to have been a commando squad, armed with machine guns and missiles. The attack on the Benghazi embassy was no spontaneous uprising in protest of the movie. It was probably long-planned and coordinated by Al Qaeda.

16. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Amanpour is devoting tonight's episode to this incident. On CNN International it's airing now. I don't know if it's going to air later tonight on American CNN... or maybe the International channel airs the American programming of the preceding day...?

17. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Al Jazeera talks about the attack in Libya having possible ties to the drone killing of a Libyan Al Qaeda member, with the planning and a confirmation of that death (months late only coming earlier Tuesday). It cites some think tank opinions on there I'm hesitant about, but I do trust Al Jazeera enough to have given those views some vetting before including them in a story like this.

As for Syria, I seem to recall a while back, that they were basically asking for help, and the world's response was "no". So this is just a continuation of that pattern.

18. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    This movie almost seems like a clandestine psych op created intentionally to drum up anti-American rage in the Middle East.

19. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I agree with both points, although I disagree that the Arab society is "ignorant" of the importance of free speech. They aren't ignorant of the principle; they just don't value it.

Your second point is right on, though. While I emphatically disagree that we "deserve" these retaliations for perceived slights of Mohammed, I certainly don't agree with engaging in incendiary speech purely for the sake of engaging in incendiary speech.

20. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
  21. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    As General Shepard from MW2 said, 'we should've known they'd hate us for it.'

Well that certainly warms my heart, need more of that from both sides.

22. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Correction: Five or so of "them" hated us for it. The rest of the city, however, thinks we're awesome. :p

23. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    [​IMG]

Such a great picture. The misspellings of "behavior" and "prophet" are so endearing.

24. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, they'll doubtless be in trouble for defaming the prophet next. :p

25. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    Out of line