main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Yuuzhan Vong

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Sep 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    What is everyone's opinion on the Yuuzhan Vong? Like them or hate them?

I like them. They were freaky the first time I read the NJO but it was good to see a new threat besides the Empire. Were they too dark? The first time I read the NJO, yes. Now not so much. They were the Anti-Borg (I watch ST TNG sue me). Their technology was interesting to me. They impacted the galaxy in a major way.

So how about everyone else?

2. Silas Nightstalker

Silas Nightstalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 7, 2012
    I loved the Vong as enemies. They were ruthless. They were monsters. To me, they were far worse than the Empire. They united the galaxy, really. Things were still sketchy between the Remnant and the NR when the Vong arrived. After it became apparent that the Vong were a serious threat, the Empire joined forces with the NR. I would love to see more of them.

3. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I felt, and still feel, that the Vong were a daring addition to the Star Wars galaxy, and one of the best ideas that Del Rey ever had. They presented a legitimate challenge to the Jedi, had a fascinating culture, and are criminally underused in the Post-NJO.

Yeah, I'm kind of an NJO fanboy :p

4. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I HATED the YV, mostly cause they were different. In fact they are one of my two LEAST favorite things in NJO, the other being the Galactic Alliance, cause it is a stupid name, is different and invalidates the entire OT and the EU leading up to NJO.

But now, I think they are good villains, they just need to be worked in more rather then ignored. Still don't like them, and even in Legacy I feel they should have been slaughtered. Mostly casue they got off really, really lightly for the horrors they committed, in fact they remind me A LOT of WW2 Era Japan.

5. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    This is how I feel about most minorities.

6. Silas Nightstalker

Silas Nightstalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 7, 2012
    Oh, racism. You so silly. But seriously. I want to see more of what happened to the Vong after TUF. We hear no mention of what happened to them after the NJO.

7. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I found it hard to get into the NJO because of the YV but when I did I really grew to enjoy the challenge they presented to the galaxy. TUF was the perfect end.... and then they did the DNT where it was all forgotten.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Well, I'd really like to kill them in a video game as Kyle Katarn....

9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I wouldn't mind a game set in the NJO era

10. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    You know, there are some ones who hate or just don't like Star Wars fans, because they're different. They think all of us are fat and ugly nerds who never kissed a girl or boy and live in their parent's basement...

Yes, the name "Galactic Federation of Free Alliances" makes no sense, here you're right. A federacy is a state, so it can't be made of alliances, because alliances are organisations of independant states, individuals, whatever and in this case, they are "free" also. So a lot of indepentant planets or systems organisized in free alliances form a single state... well, something's a bit wrong there, isn't it?

I don't like the Expaned Universe set after the New Jedi Order series. LOTF is the worst Star Wars novel series ever.

Beside, I hate it that the Yuuzhan Vong did get out of this unpunished, too. They were more evil than Palpatine's Galactic Empire and they remind me alot of Nazis, too.

Also, I have forgotten the reason why the New Republic reorganized itself into the Galactic Alliance. Maybe it was just the name, "New Republic" sounds like a political magazine. "Galactic Federation of Free Alliances" makes no sense, but well it sounds a lot cooler, Rainbow Dash would say 20% cooler.

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I liked the Vong, but especially Nom.

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Nom Anor, Harrar and Vua Rapuung were my favorite Yuuzhan Vong. I also liked the idea of the Coralskippers, Amphistaffs and Thudbugs.

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh yeah, forgot about Vua. :oops:Also Tsavong Lah as written by Aaron Allston, and only Allston, was awesome.

14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Allston's book in the NJO were amazing.

I really want to read the cancelled Knightfall trilogy.

I also can't believe how daring Del Rey was by making this series. An enemy outside the force, killing Chewie, shaping Tahiri (and her arc after that), The Voxyn, and the Fall of Coruscant and the attempted shaping or whatever it was of Jacen. I wish we had a Yuuzhan Vong protagonist in the books post NJO besides Scut.

15. Eternal_Hero

Eternal_Hero Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2012
    Hated them at first but the whole Vong War has become a major part of the Saga, it kind of earned its place over time. Legacy and then Invasion helped me to start appreciating the Vong. At the time (1999/2000) I thought it was far too "sci-fi" for Star Wars, it didn't "feel" right; but now, with TCW going so deeply into pure sword-sorcery/high-fantasy territory, I think it's cool to have that as a balancing factor. Consequently, I am going to read the whole epic next year.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  16. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I read it over the summer last year and what an experience that was. Took me a little under 2 months.

Eternal_Hero likes this.
  17. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    I don't like them or hate them. They're not my favorite Star Wars villains by any means, but I was satisfied with them in NJO. They were unique and daring. The Vong were a major risk that could've back fired but every author in NJO managed to pull it off and make them into excellent characters. I'd have no problem seeing them again, whether as allies or enemies.

kataja and Force Smuggler like this.
  18. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Seeing how Star Wars tried the invading Aliens from somewhere else arc at least 6 times (Nagai, Tof, Ssi-Ruuk, Charon, Yevethan and Nuso Esva + company) I think the Vong where the best ones they came up with and had a complex society and very memorable characters, plus they are the only ones that left a lasting impact on the Galaxy (at least if we go by Legacy and not those silly novels) and actually got close to succeeding.

19. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    You do realize that if you keep this up people are going to start using your avatar as an irony tag.

_Catherine_ likes this.
  20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Loathed them in NJO for the most part, more often than not due to the indulgence they were granted, my favourite parts of NJO's early section were those where it looked like the galaxy actually had a brain and was smart enough to actually fight them! So Dark Tide 2's destruction of a Vong worldship with an interdictor and 12 Star Destroyers pounding the hell out of it was great, but then there wasn't as much of that as I would have liked.

TUF pulled off a blinder of a conclusion but I still don't get why DR threw the Vong under a bus quite so speedily. If you're going to stick to whatever plan is in place for a 20-book - or as good as - series while talking consequences of said series, why then practically erase any sense of it? Plus, since TUF pulled off the unlikely trick of redeeming the Vong, then we need to see more of their rehabilitation! Sticking them on Sekot was the start, not the end!

I do think Invasion has greatly helped the early part of NJO, it's helped strengthen that first year where there was fighting then there wasn't - a better focus on the military and less on suicidally self-interested politicians would have helped. The other book that has added a lot to NJO is X-Wing: Mercy KIll. These 2 recent stories really make a good case for further NJO adventures as there is no way 19 books + ebooks can cover everything that went on in a 5-year total galactic war.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  21. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Different from what else was in Star Wars, there were very much out of left field. Also I was 9
    And

"Galactic Federation of Free Alliances" sounds dumb, it sounds like something a tosser came up with and then laughed at how funny they were that the anagram matched "A Galaxy Far Far Away", it's not funny it is dumb. Thats mostly why I hate the GA, also I dislike the Vong so I didn't like most of their early stories and nothing has happened since to change my view.

The Vong were the worst parts of most human history rolled together, so while it may have showed that no one is beyond redemption, even those born into an evil society, funny how long that lasted, I feel that the warriors should have paid for the horrors that they inflicted, upon civilians and prisoners of war, which is why they remind me of the WW2 Japs, only beating up on people who can't fight back.

22. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Loved them. The NJO novels really got me into the EU and I bought all the books as soon as I could. The Vong have been one of my favourite races. Why? They were unique and their invasion actually had consequences. Not only that, they were frightening to see and weren't some Imperial warlord or Dark Jedi or something that was getting repetitive. The Vong characters were amazing as well; the deceitful Nom Anor, the brutal Tsavong Lah, the dread Shimrra and the insane Onimi. Plus, they made an ending for them that made sense with a good redemption arc with a great connection with Zonama Sekot. Plus, as Luke said in the novels, the Vong did the impossible which was uniting the galaxy against them. If they wanted to end the EU then and there, they actually could have done so with TUF.

I suspect though the negative reaction from some of the fanbase led to them pretty much forgotten post NJO despite the fact that they have a great potential getting reintroduced into the galaxy. The Legacy comics and Mercy Kill demonstrate that but good to see the likes of Invasion giving some much needed Vong love. Really hope Invasion continues and we see more mention of them.

Gorefiend likes this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The scarheads could be interesting, when done right. Sadly they had to be part of a train.

24. A Tool

A Tool Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    I like the Vong, they were different and interesting! :)

Force Smuggler likes this.
  25. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    They were ok, could have been better. In particular, I wish they had used more unusual monsters instead of just starship analogs and the occasion big spider or snake or something. And I especially wish they had done more with body replacement thing, make each Vong leader a unique combination of body parts with unusual abilities. Like, some guy with cricket legs who hoped around throwing razor bugs are people, or some skiny guy with a giant growth coming out of his back that allowed him to control gravity (I forget what those things are called), or maybe some giant guy with a plasma shooting scorpion tail, a long, razor sharp tongue, and the ability to cover an area in mind control spores.

Those seem like more interesting foes to the jedi than "identical nut jobs with laser proof crabs and snakes."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.