main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit New Empire and Rebellion Book Series

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    I will take it...if it's not by Denning, Golden, Traviss, Stover, or Anderson. If it's Allston, Stackpole, or someone new and awesome (hmmm...John Scalzi, Aaron Johnston) I'd eat it like hotcakes and scream for more.

2. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm glad "Rebels" isn't just two books.

cdgodin likes this.
  3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Han book. ENDORSED.

4. CQuigley

CQuigley Guest

What is wrong with Stover?

5. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010

[​IMG]

Here we go again :p

cdgodin likes this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Indeed, it will be an adult book in the manner of Rowling's latest, don't leave this SW book anywhere where a kid may get it - lots of drugs, sex, swearing and violence! All those elements that make a book "adult"!

7. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    This series is odd to me but I can't not endorse a Classic Han book.

8. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I'd take a Wedge book by Stover in a hot second.

But what I'd really love is a dual POV Wedge/Fel book by Stackpole.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  9. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I wouldn't. Allston does the best Wedge.

10. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    My feelings on Stover are...um...different than most I have met. However, my comment about him and Wedge isnt about his skill, but more about how Wedge isnt the kind of noirish, sardonic, hardcore type of hero (and, of course, you could make arguments about Luke and Mindor, but I dont really want to right now). I simply dont think Wedge works well for the kind of story Stover.tends to tell. (I also actually like some of the other authors in that list- but similarly just dont think they are tonally suited for a Wedge novel).

11. CQuigley

CQuigley Guest

Stover did Mindor and that had it fun and humoruos moments inspired by the daley Solo books.

Esg likes this.
  12. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    So, we have Han, Luke, and Leia books. The undoubted "core" of th Rebel series. I am still excited, provided we don't get too much continuity overwriting and stuff of that nature. I also sincerely hope that they don't introduce alot of new characters. There are literally hundreds of Rebel characters that are dying for additional info and expansion. In the hands of good and creative writers, this new series could enrich the EU of this period.

I am still in need of more concrete details, but I am at least excited.

--Adm. Nick

13. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    I want Stover to do a Gallandro book. But I'll settle for anything else from him.

I do hope that we get more than just Big Three books. Lando for sure, and it'd be nice to have Wedge. This is also a great opportunity for a Chewbacca novel. And I know Nick wouldn't say no to an Ackbar novel.

Zeta1127, Esg and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  14. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I'm wondering if it's an open-ended series? Maybe we'll get "lesser" characters as long as the first books sell well enough.

15. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    you all demand Wedge? nobody said it yet who really needs a novel about just himself and his awesomness!

ACKBAR centric novel: Star Wars: TRAP

cdgodin and CooperTFN like this.
  16. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    oh and it should contain this scene:

Slave Ackbar accompanies Tarkin to every highlevel meeting.. staying in the background. When Tarkin meets with the Admirality of the Empire and especially Thrawn (GA in secret while not public yet).. they together watch some superlaser tests and talk Death Star tactics... when Tarkin is called away by Palpatine on the phone... Ackbar and Thrawn have a little chat:

*they see a simulation of the Death Star in combat against a planetary defense fleet without any superlasershots yet*
    Ackbar: "These capital ships pack quite some firepower. This space station will not have enough starfighters to defend itself for long!"
    Thrawn: "Watch and learn."
    Ackbar: "They outnumber this moonsized station and are mobile, faster."
    Thrawn: "It's a trap."
    *simulation fires superlaser and destroys the fleet quickly one by one*
    Ackbar murmurs in silence: "A trap... but it was so artistically done"*referring to the fleet tactics of the defending fleet*

cdgodin and Zeta1127 like this.
  17. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    If he can make Anakin likable to people who hated how he was written in the prequels what makes you think he wouldn't try to stay true to the character?

18. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    A chewbacca novel could be interesting, I suppose... but truth be told, I found the Denning short story that starred him quite boring. Chewie's more fun as a mute (and, um, dead :p)

I would definitely love to see this series churn out a really character driven novel for all the "major" characters. Luke, Han and Leia are given. But I'll also echo those who say we should see one for Wedge, Ackbar, and Lando. Maybe even Mara.

If he made an annoying character likable, wouldn't that mean he didn't stay true to the character? :D

On the whole Stover Wedge thing, I think he could do a hero like Wedge, and disagree that Stover's only interested in writing "hardcore" heroes. Obi-Wan, of course, comes off more strongly than anyone in ROTS, and he's far from portrayed as some amoral badass. On the non-SW side, Deliann is a downright nerd, yet somehow comes across as awesome.

Even so, I think I'd prefer Stackpole or Allston for the Wedge novel. They've definitely proven they can write him exceedingly well.

19. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I really don't get the immoral badass complaint comes from. Windu manages to both overcome the moral pitfalls Depa went trough while subduing both her and Kar and basically ending a genocidal conflict engulfing a planet for years. Luke manages to overcome Blackhole giving him a feeling of total atrophy and beat him.

20. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Stover's most famous original creation, Caine, is the epitome of "amoral hardass" (though not in the way you would expect). Mace Windu has a few similarities to Caine, I suppose, particularly in some of his dialogue with Kar Vastor, though he's overall a much more noble guy.

Speaking of douchey badasses, wouldn't it be absolutely hilarious to have Frank Miller write a Star Wars series [face_devil]

21. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Stover can do good guys just fine. He did a stupendous Luke.

You are wrong, everything about you is wrong, and you should go home now.

cdgodin, DarthBoba, Zeta1127 and 2 others like this.
  22. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Solution to the crowded-timeline issue: the entire series could deal with one big battle from the concurrent perspectives of each separate character. [face_mischief]

23. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Or they could just be set in 2 ABY. But that makes way too much sense for anyone to ever do it.

24. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Sign me up for a Wedge book. Not by Stackpole though. Allston would still be my pick. But I'd take one from Stover too.

25. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    I would only read this if it was done in the style of the Holiday Special, with all of Chewie's dialogue spelled out phonetically and no translations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.