main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I've never seen this many simultaneous users logged in on the boards since we moved here.

Zeta1127, Master_Keralys and RC-1991 like this.
  2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Another thought someone I know just told me:

Disney are neurotic about copyright protection, far, far more so than Star Wars ever was.

How many Star Wars fan clubs and custom lightsaber designers and other things will soon see the Disney lawyers knocking on their doors?

DarkEagle likes this.
  3. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Yeah, not investing in Post ROTJ Eu is looking like a stroke of genius on my part.:p

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So, CRUCIBLE probably really is the end, isn't it?

How does SOTJ fit into this?

5. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    On a related note, I suppose this means Leia is now a Disney Princess.

6. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    CORUSCANT KNIGHTS IS BACK INTO B CONTINUITY

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAAHHAAAAAAAAA

7. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007

8. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007

9. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Holy shi..........well come on guys, can't I say it just this once?

10. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Honestly, I don't think Episode VII would include the original stars.

Ford, obviously not.

Hamill and Fisher have made enough peace with the franchise, though, I'm fairly certain they would be willing to do a bit role if required, though.

Interestingly enough, Hamill has expressed as much protectiveness of Luke from dying as Lucas in recent years.

11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    ! lucas interview

TheRedBlade likes this.
  12. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Err, yeah, I'm serious. Marvel isn't buying up loads of other properties because they have their own. They own a small number of tie-in franchise titles but not many - fewer than DC even, I think? Marvel's allowed to operate essentially independently under Disney. If they weren't interested in the Star Wars license before now (and yeah they had it once, but it was thirty years ago), I don't see why they would suddenly become so just because they share a parent company.

In addition, Marvel - to my eternal bafflement, but it's their business not mine and it's certainly successful - really don't focus on the graphic novel market or the bookstore market in the way DC or Dark Horse do, and if we're talking about single issues, I hate to break it to you, but Star Wars comics don't set the market on fire. They're successful enough sure, but they don't crack the top hundred. Marvel are massively sales focused.

Marvel might want Star Wars. They really might, but if they don't it's not going to be out of character for their business model. Movies spike comic sales mainly through special adaptations of the movie, or one-off tie-ins that wouldn't otherwise be published. Ongoing titles may get a mild rise but it's not like a magical injection into the sales figures the way executives probably wish it was.

Bluntly, Star Wars comics sell at a level that would be near or below cancellation numbers for one of Marvel's own titles.

vong333, Master_Keralys and Jedi Ben like this.
  13. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    So, the increased traffic is making it nearly impossible for me to even access the boards.

14. Darth_SHOT

Darth_SHOT Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 11, 2004
    HOLY PALPATINE'S BLACK BONES!!!! i'm gonna go freak out to that corner over there.

PS: could it be much to ask for a New Sith Wars movie?

15. Darth_SHOT

Sep 11, 2004
    HOLY PALPATINE'S BLACK BONES!!!! i'm gonna go freak out to that corner over there.

16. Darth_SHOT

Sep 11, 2004

17. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    [​IMG]

18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Unless its a post Crucible trilogy or an adaptation of Thrawn Trilogy or Dark Empire the EU as we know it is over.

19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I mostly agree with your analysis Becc but I disagree Marvel aren't concerned with trades, they do an awful lot of them but, for the last few months to a year their issue:TPB ratio relative to price has been quite horrendous. So I've refused to buy, my Marvel TPB buying has plummeted. They do the same to SW? I'm done.

I am looking at the upcoming TPBs I have on radar and wondering which ones to stick with:

Agent for the Empire? Quite self-contained, not a risk.
    Lost Tribe of the Sith: Spiral - Just the 1 series anyway.
    Knight Errant: Escape - final series.
    Blood Ties: Boba Fett Is Dead - final series
    KOTOR: War - now likely final series
    Dark Times: Out of the Wilderness - could be wrapped up fast if need be, Vader finds Jass and kills him, done.

Dawn Of The Jedi: Force Storm - Ummmm, yeah, this should be a must-buy but is it not going to get it's legs hacked out from under it before it's even got going?

20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Unless its a post Crucible trilogy or an adaptation of Thrawn Trilogy or Dark Empire the EU as we know it is over.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah I think the age of the Big Three might be what saves the post-ROTJ EU...

23. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Well, if they mess about too much, we could see hordes of SW fans peacefully picketing Disney releases at the cinemas...

Anyone got a few tons of shredded computer printouts handy (as per Trek)?

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  25. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005

Looks like everyone is rushing over here to panic their pants off. If the EU get's screwed, I'm going to be pissed. I like having my stories connected in a (mostly) sensical way and referencing each other. I hate the idea of having a story (or the majority of the EU) end up being "cool story but to bad I can't use it in any way when thinking about the character's background/timeline/whatever because the official stuff totally contradicts the ever living kark out of it".

The only way I can see this working is if they either make a Thrawn trilogy adaptation (which would still mess with the EU but at least not as much - hopefully - and it would be cool to see) or if they fill in the gap between FotJ/SotJ and Legacy. Or maybe just make it post Legacy - that could be cool......... which is precisely why I doubt they'll do it. And I'm supposed to go to sleep now? Crap.

Btw did every forum member suddenly log on or what?

lukemaraben and DarkEagle like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.