main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Here we go again...

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Grimby , Oct 30, 2012.

1. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    In the fall of 1995, my two younger brothers and I returned from our summer vacation in San Diego to find that my dad had just installed America Online on the family computer. I was 15 years old at the time, living in Denver, Colorado, about to start my sophomore year of high school. This was my first exposure to the internet, outside of playing mad libs at school on the old Prodigy network a couple years earlier.

My dad went through a tutorial with us about how this new-fangled AOL program worked, showing us how to dial in, what the iconic "you've got mail" sound meant, and all the standard features AOL had to offer like news and chat rooms.

After a while, Dad turned the computer over to me and went to go watch TV. My brothers got bored and eventually ran downstairs to play Super Nintendo. But the first thing I wanted to do was find the latest Star Wars news. I had heard rumors from people that George Lucas had the next film in the works, and I just had to know if it was true.

At the time, there wasn't a whole lot of news to be found on AOL. I think I ended up in some sort of newsgroup, reading post after post of fan speculation, sprinkled with just a hint of factual information every so often (sound familiar?).

A few years later, I came home from school to see the newest issue of Yahoo! Internet Life magazine sitting on the kitchen counter with the mail. It caught my eye because on the cover it boasted an article about the top Star Wars sites on the web. I immediately grabbed the magazine and tore through it to find a page listing the editors' favorite Star Wars sites.

And this is how I found TheForce.net and the Jedi Council Forums.

From the early days of reading spoiler reports about The Phantom Menace, to seeing the fake Episode II trailer starring Leonardo DiCaprio, to dissecting every minute of the Episode III webcam, the Jedi Council has been my favorite place to anticipate and discuss the Star Wars films.

Today, as news breaks that George Lucas has agreed to sell Lucasfilm Ltd. to The Walt Disney Company for $4.05 Billion, and that Episodes VII, VIII, and IX are now confirmed for production, I can't help but get excited for Star Wars all over again.

So here we go again. Let the Episode VII discussion begin!

2. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I'm glad that announcements like this can still make me feel warm and fuzzy.

Let this be a day long remembered - as the evolution of Star Wars. :)

3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Let it begin!

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Now the fun begins..

5. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Its been a Heady day for me, I cant believe my childhood is coming back...again and this time I get to share it with my own kids! Epic....and found renewed passion for my X Wing costume now.

Loupgarou likes this.
  6. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    "We will watch your progress with great interest." [face_skull]

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  7. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Also something else to consider: the years before and between movie releases marked a dark time for Star Wars fans, when we were split by a series of conflicts known as “the Canon Wars.”

8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Well, the years between the PT and ST will be known as the 'Clone Canon Wars', methinks.

9. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    It's amazing how one announcement can make one be filled with such excitement and make me feel like a kid again!

10. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Supposedly, all original stuff for these new flicks...

11. lavjoricso

lavjoricso Force Ghost star 4

May 25, 2001
    It's a great feeling to be excited about "The Wars" again... having just turned 30 you never actually know if the capacity to get hyped again is there... last night i got the exact same buzz as when i was 13 when the prequel hype started out.

I cannot wait for the sequel trilogy... happy days !

12. Darth_Martus

Darth_Martus Jedi Knight star 1

May 11, 2011
    Can't wait. 2015 isn't too long away when you think about it. We should get pre-production/director/cast news soon-ish :D

13. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I guess the description for the Prequel Trilogy board is now rather inaccurate, eh?

Grimby likes this.
  14. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Guarantee that I will be in line at a theater in 2015 at midnight, plowing 11 year old kids to be first see Star Wars.

Ironic, in a sense. I got p*ssed off at fans when I was 11 when I couldn't get a front row seat to see the midnight premiere of Revenge of the Sith, because Star Wars fans with their Force FX lightsabers took the seats.

2015 feels a long way off.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  15. darkmole

darkmole Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 2, 2000
    Yes - here we go again. I was in my twenties when I first discovered the internet and I signed up to the force net around 97/98 (I re-registered to change my username a couple of years later), and the dynamic SA threads were an important part of my online 'growing up'. I've not really been back here since Sith came out and, if I'm honest, I enjoyed the years of speculation, official hints and unofficial leaks more than the films themselves. It's amazing to think that there were still fierce arguments about whether Palpatine and Sidious were the same person or not even after AOTC. I would be suprised if the new films generate quite as much heat, at least not for the first one. Part of the interest in the PT is that we already knew the outline of the story whereas we know nothing about these new stories - there were no obvious loose ends from ROTJ. Also, film companies have got a lot better at controlling spoilers so I do not expect to see the same level of spying to spice up the new SSA(?) forums. But either way, looking forward to it.

fishtailsam likes this.
  16. Darthdave75

Darthdave75 Jedi Master

Nov 14, 2006
    That old feeling is back. I can't wait to be tortured with spoilers and fake spoilers....bring on the madness

morrison85 likes this.
  17. Wesley Smith

Wesley Smith Jedi Padawan

Oct 30, 2012
    I am really excited to be going through this whole speculative process again. I really enjoyed being along for the ride as information came out by drips and drops and posters tried to piece it together. I remember one poster claiming that the Emperor would have a lightsaber in the form of a scimitar. Good times...

18. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    just a quick question

who are the mods of this forum,

in case there are issues etc

19. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I am totally geeked out by this news. It'll be a great ride. My fondest memories of this place was during the 3SA and the hype leading up to RotS. If the next 2-3 years are anything like that time period, it'll be epic.

20. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I don't think we have any yet.

Chaos!

21. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    [​IMG]

22. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    As of right now, it's kinda a group effort; we wanted to get this forum up so speculation could begin. If you have any problems contact any of the mods you see posting here/mods online. :)

23. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    okidokey :) thanks Mavjade

24. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    in case? lol. what're the odds of there not being issues over the next three years?

also, uber long threads! that'll be... fun to wade through...

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    So excited for this. Must get midnight tickets for this!

starwarsjunkie7 likes this.