main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Post novels after Crucible and SOTJ?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Allana_Rey, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    What do you think will happen to the EU after Crucible and SOTJ come out? Will they continue with this EU, or just stop and do VII-IX?

2. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    They should spend the next three years telling stories in every era to conclude all the loose narrative threads. Do a Xim novel, a Xendor comic, an Ackbar vs. Pellaeon multimedia project, whatever. Write proper endings for TFU, Republic/Imperial Commando, and Jude Watson's Science Adventures. Do a story where Kyle Katarn and Maarek Stele team up to defeat the Carbonite Sith Army. Have Reaves and Perry do a crime/detective novel where there's a serial killer going around murdering unpopular characters like Dusque Mistflier and Ken Palpatine. Do a Galaxy of Fear novel with Zak and Tash as adult Jedi Knights! Do a novel about Lumiya's life from pre-Marvel to LOTF omgggg!!!! Pay DKM whatever it takes to get him to come back and write one last Boba Fett story. Do a Darth Ruin novel written by anyone but Karpyshyn. At no point, under any circumstances, do anything set during the Clone Wars. Have JJM do Last Hurrah stories for Zayne, Kerra, and the Lost Tribe, Stackpole and Allston for the Rogues and Wraiths, and John and Jan for the Legacy characters. And let Zahn do something too because I guess they'd have to. Let Stover write his Final Adventure of the Big Three (That Isn't Crucible) novel to cap off the Post-ROTJ-Pre-Legacy era, then bring back Luceno for a post-Legacy novel to cap off the entire EU. Then say "The End," put the Old EU on the shelf, turn out the light, and start a new continuity for stories in the ST EU.

This is my dream for the EU that will never happen.

3. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    You know... if even half of this actually happens, the inevitable reset after that would actually have been worth it. In a way.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  4. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    ...and behold the one post and only possible thing that could get me on board with shutting down one and starting up another.

5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    You take that back. [face_not_talking]

Gorefiend likes this.
  6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Indeed, the Sith could finally be destroyed for once and for all after 7000 years.

7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    The Earth would explode from that much awesomeness :p , especially if he fixed the damage Traviss did to Boba.

8. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    Triclops can die instead, leading Ken to join forces with I5 and Jax Pavan to find the killer before he catches up with an elderly Jar Jar Binks. Then it turns out the murderer is Set Harth, still body-hopping after a thousand years oh my goddddddddd. The possibilities are endless!

9. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009

instantdeath likes this.
  10. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Wait, are you suggesting Harth jumped into Jar Jar's body?

No fracking wonder he turned to murder. It was an act of mercy putting him down.

11. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    Yes, the whole book they are trying to protect Jar Jar, only to find out at the end that Jar Jar has been possessed for years and he was the one committing the murders all along.

cdgodin, Darth_Kiryan and Zorrixor like this.
  12. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I utterly despise the thought of a reboot, even though we already have a reboot with TCW, but that is basically the only way to do a reboot properly.

13. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    As I said in another thread, I do not see them cancelling anything, as that's exactly the wrong gesture they should be wanting to make to fans. The very worst I see happening to books that are already getting ready for publication is that they'll be considered non-canon.

Anyone who's seen Troll 2 is a friend of mine.

14. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Until we know what the movies are going to do to the EU, its is really, really difficult to say what the EU publishers should do, and that's up to and including TCW, which presently has characters in limbo status regarding post-series fates (most notably Ahsoka and Ventress, but also various bounty hunter characters, clones, and the like).

This needs to be resolved, and it needs to be resolved fast. Episode VII is scheduled for a mere three years from now. That means it probably has to think about starting filming in a year and a half. A basic script is going to be in the works in a matter of months.

The 'original story' bit is all we have at the moment. The EU could survive mostly clean, could be mangled brutally but survive, or it could be annihilated.

Unlike _Catherine_ I don't think it makes sense to ramp up production for any sort of 'last hurrah' outpouring of novels. If the EU goes down, it will cull interest brutally (I know, I, personnally, am not buying one cent worth of Star Wars material until I get some clarification on what's going down). Materials that are currently in production and will arrive before a movie release ought to be completed, but nothing new is really worth scheduling.

It makes more sense for the various EU talent to get together an plan for a big-post movie burst instead, especially if the EU dies or if it reboots at say, 25 ABY. It will be absolutely imperative to try and haul back in every EU fan they possibly can in that situation, any gaps would make it only more likely that they'd drift away for good.

15. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    You see, I don't think that Disney will worry to much with the stuff of before. I think there main involvement wil begin when the new movie ramps up and all the merchandising from that point forward. If there is one thing that might survive and continue from all this old stuff it would be the clone wars tv series. i can see them still doing this and releasing them on disneyxd. GL will still be invovled and will have input in how the series should end but thats about the only thing that I can see. Once the new movie comes out then well get a better idea were there going and we could see the clone wars start to wrap up around season 8, 9, or 10.

16. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Yeah, if they do plan a reboot, they'll be wanting to blitz us with new material to try and draw us back in.

It'll be interesting to see what we hear from DR and DH regarding future publications, as those will probably provide the first indirect hints at which direction things are heading...

17. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    First place that is actually likely to get the boot from the new overlords of SW is Cartoon Network, as I am sure TCW will soon be shifted to the Disney Channel. Afaik they even mentioned something in that direction in the investor call.

18. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Can I just say that I can't shake a feeling that the last minute direction of FOTJ and Abeloth took was some how mandated from "on high" because Episode VII was decided on for sure while that book was being written?

Just what if the new trilogy is set to take place after Crucible and the story actually revolves around Abeloth, finding the Dagger of Mortis and a new group of Ones? That actually makes a whole hell of a lot of sense for where to go next to me now. And I really didn't like that development being shoehorned into FOTJ(which I already didn't like) in the final installment.​

AbelothIsSexy likes this.
  19. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I personally wont be putting anymore $ into the EU for the 1st time in whats it been for me...19yrs wow thats a long time...until we get clear info on the direction VII is going.

Gorefiend likes this.
  20. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    That's perhaps the one guaranteed good piece of news this whole this has had for me...

As it hopefully means the Disney Channel in the UK will get the same, meaning we will finally get to see Seasons 3 and 4, due to Sky having given up after Season 2.
    I think I mentioned that same point myself earlier in the week...

Certainly, I don't think Del Rey had any idea "what" was going on, but I can easily picture LFL being aware that Lucas was planning to retire, and that there might be "changes" coming (even if by "change" people were wondering whether it meant "Star Wars is simply ending, period"), so it definitely wouldn't surprise me to learn that squeezing Mortis into FOTJ was due to some... bigger reason. Even if that reason was actually just something related to the final TCW season or something, but even that would have been somewhat influenced by whatever retirement plans Lucas has had floating in the back of his mind for years.

21. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I mean, it could result in really dopey movies. But... it could also result in the preservation of the EU. Including Legacy. Which I quite like. So if Mortis is what must be, let it be. George certainly seems to dig that stuff enough to make it a story treatment for a new trilogy.

22. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    You know, I hadn't even thought about Mortis being in the films before... but now that you mention it, it certainly would provide an antagonist that topped Palpatine, and TCW has been steering mainstream awareness of Star Wars more and more in the space fantasy than science fiction direction, so it wouldn't entirely blindside the average fanboy out of nowhere...

Not that I have any clue how you'd factor Mortis into films and it be any good... unless they used Mortis like the OT did the Death Star, as this big evil space station, and the Son as the raw embodiment of darkness released after the death of the Chosen One or something like that... I dunno, it sounds weird, and very much like the B-Movies of the 1980s, but I suppose Star Wars was one of those B-Movies, just one that catapulted itself into the limelight, so it wouldn't be out of place, per se...

No clue if I'd like it or not, but I guess the Nightsisters and space magic in TCW seem popular enough with the masses.

23. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I'm thinking it's more the pursuit of Abeloth and putting her back in the box, so to speak. They need to find Mortis, find the Dagger, and kill Abeloth. It really changes the playing field without rehashing the Sith, who are done-zo in GL's mind. So you need something to top them and don't need a Sith Lord or superweapon to do it. And at the very same time you preserve the EU.

I also look at it like this... LFL is under new management. GL is a creative consultant. Who really knows what that means. He, I have no doubts, would have just over-ridden the EU without a second thought as he has in TCW. And he actively encouraged Dave Filoni to do so, who wasn't oriented to do that prior to GL turning him to the dark side. What if the people managing LFL now want to integrate it all? We've all been assuming they won't want to do that, because of the recent track record. But part of the potential excitement of this new development is ejecting that particular policy of GL. He didn't feel ingratiate to the EU or the core fanbase that ate it up, let alone the creators he hired to build it. What if, without GL's whisperings as the man-in-charge, Kathleen Kennedy and the rest of LFL... especially including Pablo and Leland... actually want to act as the safeguard for EVERYTHING. Not just what GL has done and his so-called "vision" but for everything and make it all one canonical continuity? I like to think that's possible. It simultaneously works with the existing EU storylines AND enables them to do an original story. LFL is now free to say to George "we like the ideas you have here for the story, but we are over-riding you on ejecting the EU stuff you don't like. Luke's been married, he has a son who is a Jedi Knight and a niece who is a Master... they are our new heroes."

24. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    You could be onto something actually.

The more I think about it, most of the fears have been focusing on the short term 'problem' of what the sequels do... but Disney didn't pay $4 billion just to make three films, did they? They paid for the entire brand...

If they throw that out, what happens after Episode 9? New books? Well, sure. But then you're limited to just selling the new books you can write -- and you won't be publishing complete trilogies overnight. So... you've cut off half the product you just bought.

Which now has me wondering if preserving it could indeed be more in their Interest, as even if they retcon stuff, if they leave the consistently popular stories like Thrawn alone, then they guarantee new sales simply from increasing the fanbase with Episode 7, and will always have the option in the future for adaptations -- they said they plan a new film every few years after the sequels, so adapting old favourites would certainly been within their M.O going by a lot of the plots seen in the Marvel movies.

And I'm sure whoever they get to write the sequels will be a Star Wars fan him/herself -- if they hope to stand any chance to write Luke Skywalker successfully they'd need to be! -- and any Star Wars author is going to have their own favourites that they'd like to see on the big screen one day in the future, which has worked fairly well for the Marvel movies in the past.

Dawud786 likes this.
  25. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    I hate to say it but I really don't think that FOTJ has anything to do with the sequel trilogy. Comments from Pablo Hidalgo suggest that active work on the ST began only a few months ago within LFL, and if nothing else, Jennifer Heddle has tweeted that she doesn't yet know how the EU will be affected by the ST. Seems like an odd thing to tweet if she was in charge of publishing a series that got shoehorned towards tying in to it. And an odd thing to lie about too, so I'm inclined to take her at her word when she says she's not yet sure how or if this will affect ongoing policy regarding canon.

I think FOTJ was a tie in with TCW, plain and simple.