main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Dooku and Saruman, coincidence?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Slowpokeking, Nov 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    They are very similar, both once was a significant member of a good order, both betrayed their old order, both served as NO.2 villain in the trilogy, both had great influence and both tried to sway someone from their old order to join them. Maybe GL took a look at LotR as well?

However I think the movie gave Dooku too little time, the EU filled his character and goal well.

Dark-Fox likes this.
  2. Dark-Fox

Dark-Fox Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    I agree. Thank the force for The Clone Wars for giving us more Dooku.

I was trying to remember earlier what my reaction to AotC was after seeing it for the first time. I cannot remember for the life of me whether I left the cinema in slight confusion about Dooku's alter ego Darth Tyranus. I think the film made it pretty clear but that could just be hindsight talking. I could certainly have done with more Dooku scenes.

I was definately confused about who or what Sifo Dyas was for a long time following that movie.

3. Fish On The Sand

Fish On The Sand Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2012
    Well since Christoper Lee = Awesome, and the amount of time he is shown on screen equates to the awesomeness factor of the film, then yes he should have had more screen time. If only Lucas would have known that Christoper Lee would have been in Attack of the Clones when he was writing Phantom, then we could have had one hell of an awesome scene in Phantom with Christoper Lee. And then when he turns out to be bad in Episode II, we'd all have been mentally thinking, "Nooooooo! not the old friendly Jedi guy who talked to Qui-Gon in Episode I!" And it would have made the Dooku/Saruman parallel even stronger as well. Alas, it was not meant to be, but I do feel Christopher Lee gave an excellent performance as Dooku/Tyranus and is truly worthy of the title of Sith Lord.

4. Dark-Fox

Sep 28, 2008
    Not having Dooku in TPM seems like a silly oversight in retrospect. Even if he was just in a background council shot would have added tons to the continuity. It's strange that many of those council members are no longer visible in the Blu-Ray film.

5. Neon Genesis

Neon Genesis Jedi Padawan

Nov 4, 2012
    This trope of a good character turning evil is a common one that appears frequently in fantasy stories and not just LOTR. How many times have we seen a superhero turn evil in comic books for instance?

6. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Go Dooku. Go Christopher Lee!

Darth_Kiryan likes this.
  7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    It is a coincidence

8. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
  9. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Just Get Over it!

10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Couldn't have said it better myself. I think I nice detail was that, decades later, Christopher Lee got to play an equally iconic role on the same film series as his late close friend Peter Cushing.

What do you mean?

11. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    They both look very similiar, too.

12. Dark-Fox

Sep 28, 2008

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Whichever movie I'm watching SW or LOTR I call the character played by Christopher Lee in that one the opposite. So in LOTR I would refer to Saruman as Dooku and in SW I would call Dooku, Saruman. I do that for any actor or actress in other movies as well sometimes.

14. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Why wasn't Dooku a council member in EP I?

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Possibly because when EP I had been filmed, Dooku's character had not yet been invented.

In-universe, Dooku was on the brink of leaving the Jedi Order entirely around EP I- the death of his apprentice Qui-Gon was one of the things that finally convinced him to leave. Because he thought that Jedi lives were being thrown away on political missions.

16. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    coincidence

just as the name Count is

17. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Christopher Lee was originally suppose to be the one who was casted for Grand Moff Tarkin but he declined and recommended his friend Peter Cushing instead. 20+ years later, he finally gives in to Lucas and plays Count Dooku. :)

18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I didn't know that. Learning something new every day. ;)

P.S: Did he ever said why he declined?

19. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    I think he did but I don't really remember. I want to say because he didn't think it would be good, but I might be getting that mixed up with the actor that declined the Hector Barbossa role for PotC:CotBP. Give me a bit and I'll see if i can find it again.

Edit: Nope. Site doesn't say why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.