main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC David Petraus resigns over affair

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316, Nov 9, 2012.

1. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
  2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
  3. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    why, is that guy going to be in the room?

4. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    No, but it would be nice to hear some kind of formal declaration that the GOP and all its minions and cheerleaders are ready to formulate some policy platform other than Destroy Obama.

5. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    well, we'll see what happens. i think boehner's gonna cave, and hard, blubbering and sniffling. taxes will be raised and private sector growth stymied. good times ahead, folks!

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    "All In", lol.

7. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    I swear people who don't get why he has to resign over this have never read a Le Carre novel. It's not a morality issue, it's a "can we trust this man with secrets and is he compromised in a way that will leave him open to blackmail" issue.

8. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    but it seems like both of those questions follow from it being a morality issue.

9. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    a bit but mostly its just that he opens himself up to blackmail by making socially unacceptable decisions (and failing to keep them hidden). the CIA is not an organization known for its commitment to strong moral fiber

10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i guess i find socially acceptable and moral to be similar arbitrary distinctions.

11. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    It is convenient that because he decided to go public about some affair, he no longer will be testifying regarding Libya. IMO, this shouldn't excuse him from testifying about the security failure.

12. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Its a matter of degrees. Arbitrary or not, they do exist. And while I do agree that many issues of moral and social should always be questioned and examined, this isn't exactly one of the murky grey areas. Petreus behaved dishonestly to his wife. He had an affair and he kept it a secret from her. That's a pretty big no-no for most people. The next issue is whether he resigned over the morality of the affair, or the consequences of the affair. In this context I don't see the government asking him to relinquish his position because of the morality of his actions, but because of the possible ramifications of actions. How is he to effectively lead the CIA if someone can hamper his decision making by threatening to reveal the affair? How can he be trusted with state secrets when he is having a secret relationship with someone who has a vested interest in getting information from him?

solojones, Juliet316 and Rogue_Ten like this.
  13. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    morality is a philosophical quality - "socially acceptable" is something that can be described by social science. i can tell you what a given culture finds acceptable in a given context. whether the same action is moral or not, is a matter of opinion

all this is beside the point, however, that the CIA doesn't give a **** about moral/socially unacceptable behaviour -- they're more likely concerned that by indulging in socially unacceptable behaviour -- behaviour that could be socially damaging to him personally -- petraeus is opening himself up to blackmail and making himself a security risk

14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yeah, i get what your saying and it boils down to a semantic argument maybe, one not worth pursuing certainly. my point though is that the only reason he opens himself up to blackmail or the notion that he can't be trusted is that his actions are considered immoral or "socially unacceptable" if you'd rather.

edit: rogue, so i suppose the word 'morality' has no business in any discussion of current events.

15. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    just dont expect me to share your opinion on what is or is not moral. and in this case, describing petraeus' actions and how they're looked upon, i simply find "socially acceptable" far more useful

honestly im uninterested in the personal morality of petraeus' affair, given that we're talking about an organization that regularly destabilizes governments and supports murderous dictators. seems extra silly in that light

16. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    NEVER FORGET JACOBO ARBENZ, right?

Vaderize03 likes this.
  17. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    how about drone attacks on children and american citizens? does that strike you as sterling rectitude?

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  18. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Spare a thought for the saps in the intellgence community, Rogue. It's dark and lonely work - like oral sex, but someone has to do it.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  19. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    my condolences on what sounds like a very depressing oral sexual history

20. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    I just heard a snippet from the woman with whom Petraeus had the affair on NBC Nightly News:

"I was deeply embedded with the General while in Afghanistan"

Kind of gives the phrase a new meaning, doesn't it?

Peace,

V-03

New_York_Jedi likes this.
  21. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Fox News/Beck/Limbaugh/The Right attempt at conspiracy is that Obama knew and timed it all until after the election.

23. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
  24. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Okay, could have sworn I saw a line or two in that one with regard to it when I read it the first time , but other reports are circulating that House Majority Leader Cantor knew about this in late October.

Here's a link from ABC News.

25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah, it's been confirmed that Cantor knew before the President.

An FBI agent went rogue and told Republican members of Congress, because he wanted Obama defeated. Surprisingly, these Republicans kept quiet.

And this all started when Paula Broadwell sent some kind of threatening email to a family friend of Petraeus, who had her own friend who was in the FBI and investigated, which led them to uncovering the "thousands of emails" between Petraeus and Broadwell.

It also appears that Rielle Hunter, the mistress of John Edwards, is somehow involved. I think she's a neighbor or friend of somebody involved.

Paula Broadwell also told the University of Denver a few weeks ago that the CIA was keeping prisoners in the basement of the "consulate," and that the true objective of the attack was to free those prisoners... did she disclose something confidential?

The FBI taking down the head of the CIA probably won't help that interagency rivalry, either.

And I think this leaves no doubt that the intelligence community is a mess, and it's no wonder they messed up and gave mixed messages about the nature of the Benghazi attack (video protests VS terrorist attack).