main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    Nah, I just see myself coming here less and less.

I also haven't had much to say about the past two episodes.

2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I couldn't turn my eyes away from the Captain. Not by keeping my head down in the familiar agony of loss. Not by the distraction of a hand on my shoulder telling me "Lux its alrighting". Was this feeling horrified fear or pure anger? I couldn't describe it. - "It was you..." - I said in a low seething voice to the abomination in his dusty white armor. Captain Rex he'd called himself when I met him in training. During the rigorous training I was able to hold in these feeling but I was beyond that now. Now I only saw demonic blue eyes on his sinister helmet, the visor reflecting my own red face and blazing eyes. - "Your the one who killed my father..."
    (Credit to Akash again for inspiration. Thanks buddy.)

So, do you guys think Lux is on a bus or TCW will actually get anymore mileage out of him? It feels like his role as a supporting character to Ahsoka's arc is over. I know they can take the "Clones killed my father angle" and they could do some stuff in the senate with him. The young upstart actually opposed Padme? Stuff like that.

3. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Lux is on a bus. And a deranged part of my mind conjures up an episode in which Lux and Padme are arguing with each other in the Senate - maybe over the cost of clones or availability of electricity and running water and how often people get to shower.

4. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I'm not a big fan of doing anything with Padme. More looking for other ideas on how to use Lux on Coruscant. He could always be driven to change his mind on the Republic.

5. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I still don't understand how anyone can stand TCW, especially since it doesn't even work with the films. The fact it comes from Lucas himself really ticks me off, since it contradicts so many little details from RotS and a few major ones.

6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Simple, it's Star Wars

7. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    -Starts singing.- As you go through life you'll see there is so much that we don't understand and the only we know is things don't always go the way we planned...

Come on, sing along with me.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  8. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    TCW doesn't even register as Star Wars to me, because I simply can't see anything in TCW happening thanks to the Clone Wars EU.

9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    TCW is canon, while the EU Clone Wars will eventually be non-canon

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  10. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    It enhances some of the characters and introduces some great plot lines that tie the films really well for me. Overall, I can stand TCW because I find it engaging enough to actually watch.

11. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't understand how there is enhancement, because everything I hear about TCW makes me think about the great things that the Clone Wars EU has done and that things like Anakin being knighted so early and having a Padawan make absolutely no sense whatsoever.

12. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I tend to be pretty ignorant of the EU so maybe that helps. I'm also all to aware how folks can simply get nostalgia blinded for what came first. There are many reasons I enjoy watching TCW including that I do love Star Wars.

TCW has taken me on a great ride with the characters, the themes, and even the snap shot style it has going which lends well to fanon (I like TV shows that leave room for the viewer to think up explanations instead of explaining everything). TCW isn't some cookie cutter animated series and it feels almost like something I would have watched on Fox Kids when I was little. TCW has grown up a bit over the seasons which makes it even better. Its become a great source of escapism in my life.

I really wish I had given TCW a chance earlier. A few friends and co-workers IRL who have always been bigger more versed Star Wars fans than myself, like many hated the TCW movie and assumed the show was terrible so I passed it up until one night I was bored and found netflex sleeves in my house with the season 1 blu-rays in them. Now I've gotten two of those guys into the show. Oddly the tables have turned there.

13. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The thing is I hardly even know the Clone Wars EU, beyond GTCW, the Dark Lord Trilogy, and the Republic Commando series, with quite a bit of knowledge on the original timeline. In the films, several things make TCW inconceivable to me. Its quite clear the Jedi Council barely even trust Anakin, so having him knighted so early and giving him a Padawan make absolutely no sense whatsoever to me. The exchange between Anakin and Dooku during the Duel on the Invisible Hand is clearly intended to refer to Geonosis, so additional duels in the interim make no sense to me. Darth Maul was killed by Obi-Wan Kenobi on Naboo in 32 BBY by a combination of a sai tok bisection and a fall into a melting pit. This is scarcely even taking into account the EU, beyond having read the Dark Lord Trilogy. Then there is of course the fact that Darth Maul was killed a very specific way so as to prevent a Boba Fett-style resurrection, when, unlike Darth Maul's survival, simple facts about Boba Fett's situation make his survival perfectly reasonable.

14. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Contrary to popular belief. I've watched ROTS a few times in my life and I don't see the impossibilities. Technically if we ignore the EU and just go with movie canon Anakin all we know is that Anakin is a knight in ROTS with no details given for when that happened. Really I can fanon together how to fit the Genndy Clone Wars and TCW together fairly easy. There is nothing in ROTS that specifically stated Anakin never had a Padawan (no one says, yes or no.) TCW has a subplot going as we speak that is dealing with why Anakin does not trust the council that involves a Padwan, alot of toe stepping, and deception (My 2nd favorite arc). TCW's mission is to resolve itself with ROTS when it gets there. It'll do it. "My powers have double 1,000X since we last met." can just be bragging. I admit I need to revisit this dialogue. This whole Maul thing probably really was about marketability but its going to be used to deepen Obi-wan rather profoundly. Really perhaps if you picked up TCW and watched it you'd start to see how TCW and ROTS start to fit together. Really Just watch the Citadel, Padawan Lost, and Rako Hardeen arcs which are the ones that specifically deal with that subplot. The puzzle pieces are there. Don't completely write TCW off just because of nostalgia and what other people say.

Valairy Scot and QuangoFett like this.
  15. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The Jedi Council never fully trusted Anakin, which is consistent with RotS and supported by the Dark Lord Trilogy, so how could they possibly knight him so early and give him a Padawan? The episode Supply Lines is the reason why the Tantive IV is no longer in RotS and the Corla Metonae What's the Story? is a mess, when I simply can't envision any other Corellian corvette other than the Tantive IV being in RotS. There is no fitting together when Lucas would edit RotS to justify the TCW portrayal of the Trade Federation. The old timeline is everything to me, and I haven't even read much of it, beyond the Dark Lord Trilogy and the Republic Commando series that I previously mentioned.

16. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    To be fair, majority of EU still remains and still canon. Only little parts of it have been changed or made non-canon.

QuangoFett likes this.
  17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah, the parts that have been made "non-canon" are miniscule.

Everyone shrugs the EU off as if it's a small number of clamorous folks, but seriously -- the novels all hit the NYT Bestseller list (sometimes #1!) as soon as they come out, and the videogames usually always top the charts. There's a reason for that.

18. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I didn't mean to say that. I was only trying to make a point. I know EU fans aren't just some little focus group. Do think people probably get a little overdramatic about how difficult it would be to actually fit most of it with TCW given its not hard to make just the Microseries and TCW put together in my head. It really wont be until the series end that's for sure. I get the passion.

In TCW the council has does not seem to trust Anakin not to mention they totally used him last season. It actually seems like the council took a chance and gave him a Padawan to try and help him grow up and learn to let go of his attachments. In the news reel for the last episode TCW made it clear the Jedi are hurting for new blood. It builds the case for kighting Anakin early because they simply need more knights. Its as good a guess as any that Ahsoka herself may be knighted even earlier in her career and not so much because of how lethally skilled and mature she has become. I honestly am not the best person to ask about ships but the trade federation really has not been in TCW all that much.

The episode Supply Lines is a prequel to the Ryloth trilogy which is an arc in season one. It deals with Bail and Jar Jar trying to out negotiate the trade federation on Toydaria so they can ship supplies to the starving people caught between the battling sides on Ryloth who will later become hostages. Meanwhile a Jedi tries to hold out waiting for the supplies and finally dies just as they arrive once he knows the resistance and their families are safe for a time.

I am sorry this probably sounds really stupid but I have no qualms with using my ignorance to generate discussion. lol.

19. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    Herein lies the problem. You are relying on what you hear about TCW rather than relying on actually giving it a perspective directly.

20. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    IIRC, your favorite is Umbara, yes? Thought I'd tell you, I plan on watching it today, considering Rex is a soldier worth venerating.

21. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    You really can't make these kinds of absolutist statements given that, by your own admission, you know very little about the series and have never actually watched it.

I hadn't had the series 'on my radar' until a few days ago, and although I'm still quite early on in the development of its story arcs, it actually makes perfect sense within the context of what we're presented with in RotS for Anakin to become the person he is at the beginning of that film because of his experiences in mentoring Ahsoka during the actual events of the Clone Wars that are covered in the series. The losses the Jedi suffered during the Battle of Geonosis severely depleted their ranks, so it makes sense that they'd knight Anakin, particularly given his heroic actions during said battle, and it also makes sense that, given his recklessness, they'd assign him to mentor someone equally as young and reckless - Ahsoka - in an effort to temper said recklessness and turn him into a more effective Jedi.

22. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    It's helpful to understand why people develop opinions, even those you disagree with.

I don't consider myself to be particularly well-versed in the pre-2008 Clone Wars EU. I saw the microseries and read both novel series that you mentioned. In addition, I have read many of the Clone Wars issues of 'Star Wars: Republic', often considered some of the best EU content to have been released. Have you played the 2002 PS2/GC game entitled 'Star Wars: The Clone Wars'? That was one of the first Clone Wars EU media releases after AOTC. I played that, along with Battlefront, Battlefront II and Republic Commando, probably the grand total of pre-2008 Clone Wars games on console platforms. However, I haven't read Shatterpoint, Dark Rendezvous and the MedStar Duology. These reportedly superlative stories about Mace Windu (Apocalypse Now in space), Yoda/Dooku and Barriss Offee (M.A.S.H. in space) sound enticing though, and I plan on reading these books at the next available opportunity.

I've also seen every episode of TCW with the exception of the pilot movie, though I read the novelisation to get the relevant story information. In general, I don't consider TCW to be any worse than pre-2008 Clone Wars EU I've read. At times, it has been better. It has largely been in the spirit of both the EU and the films. As has been said earlier, the vast majority of pre-2008 Clone Wars EU - both content I've read/played/seen and content I haven't - has remained intact.

Some of your points about the films vs. TCW need some elaboration:

Quite clear? Like the scene in AOTC when Mace Windu and Yoda defend the decision to send Anakin on a solo mission because of his "exceptional skills"? Obi-Wan is the one who doubts him here, not the heads of the Council. By ROTS, this has been inverted to some extent. Your mistake seems to be judging the entire situation through the Clone Wars based on ROTS.

What facts about Boba Fett's situation? The fact that he's wearing armour plates and a bodysuit with unseen protective abilities? That his bodysuit and armour can protect him from the Sarlaac's digestive system is conjecture, just going by the films. How is this different from Maul's unseen ability to keep himself alive through hatred? In ROTS, Vader actually does what Maul allegedly does in order to keep himself alive, somehow clinging onto life and preventing his entire body from becoming charcoal on the lava beach.

Valairy Scot and Seerow like this.
  23. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I love Umbara alot, its my favorite arc, and glad you like Rex. Would you like one of my Certified LACWAC Rex fan badges? =p

However the arcs I listed are more relevent to Zeta1127 's concerns. The Rako Hardeen arc is easily my 2nd favorite arc (and although I'm bias to Umbara objectively its the better arc) next to Umbara with the Slaves of the Republic arc a close 3rd. I love that stretch of season 4.

Zeta1127, if you'd like I'd be more than happy to watch some TCW with you to help you get into it, virtually ofcourse. If you interested please PM me.

24. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    I haven't been doing a lot of TCW watching the past couple of days and am therefore only about halfway through Shadow of Malevolence, but I have to say that only AotC-era Anakin would take an entire squadron of fighters through a nebula inhabited by gigantic 'space Rays'.

I also wanted to add, as an addendum to what I said earlier in the thread about main characters, that Dooku definitely is a main character, at least at the point in the series that I'm currently at.

Seerow likes this.
  25. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Its been a while sense I've watche the Malevolence arc. I'm glad your enjoying it. Dooku is pretty much the Lord Zedd of TCW throughout the series, lol.