main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Tactics

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darthbarracuda, Nov 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    If you could change some of the military tactics/weapons/etc in star wars, what would it be?

2. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    The Rebellion should have bombarded the Empire with a torrent of questions to confuse and irritate them.

3. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    LOL

4. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Let's see...

AT-ATs that only have forward guns... even modern tanks can target any direction. Of course, the rebels mostly attack AT-ATs head on, so it's not a big deal.

Death Star I could have used a shield.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It had a shield. It's just that the shield had snubfighter-sized holes in it.

6. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    I hate the tactics employed in battle. Like the grassy plains battle. The droids marched in formation like in the middle ages!
    The whole clone wars...even though I like it, I wish they would make it more modern I guess. In AOTC, the final battle on Geonosis has massive armies on each side just firing their weapons. It's medieval style tactics.
    Just drop a small atomic bomb and there goes the the droid army.
    But then I guess they would employ a shield.
    Which would then force an army to march in battle since there was a shield.
    So I guess when there's a technological achievement, they must reverse-engineer their battle tactics.

7. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    It's not just medieval, I think tight formations were still around until they started to use machine guns.

Besides, there hasn't been a major conflict in the galaxy for a thousand years and both droids and clones are quite expendable.

8. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    But why waste them? They have machine guns so why do they fight like the middle ages?

9. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    They do? :)

10. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah! Look at their blasters! Those are machine guns, just with blaster bolts. And think of the E-Web Turrets. There's tons of weaponry that are just like modern day, just put with a sci-fi like look and feel. So instead of a machine gun that fires bullets, you have a sci-fi-looking gun that fires flashy colored bolts.

11. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    But... they're not machine guns, they're blasters. Be it carbine, rifle, pistol or repeater. The main difference is the lack of mechanization.

12. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Right, they look like machine guns but they don't seem to function like them.

13. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    But the fact is that they shoot multiple bolts quickly, like a machine gun.

My theory for the whole bomb dropping thing:

So they used to use atomic/nuclear warheads, but then eventually particle shields were invented to stop any solid material from passing through. So they had the blaster bolts. And without huge bombs and stuff, they were forced back into the medieval-style combat. And then energy bombs were invented, and then ray shields that protected from them.

What I never understood was if the Death Star I had a thermal exhaust port that was ray-shielded, then why didn't the Rebels fire an automatic bomb into it? So no energy missiles can penetrate it, but a solid-matter missile can. In the present day, we have "fire and forget" missiles on our aircraft. So thousands of years later, they ought to have at least a slightly better targeting accuracy right? So then just fire a super-fast solid missile that precisely targets the exhaust port and have it go down into it an explode! Why did the Rebels have to use X-wings piloted by sentient beings to fire a proton torpedo into the port? A computerized brain probably would have better accuracy. And the Alliance wasn't even counting on Luke using his Force abilities.

But then I guess the Empire could jam the computer brain or signal. But then why didn't the Empire jam the signals from the pilots to the Yavin IV base?!?!?!

So many questions...........

14. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    You know, despite its title, Star Wars is not really about realistic military tactics :) It works better if you don't overanalyze it.

When I want believable space combat, I read good military scifi such as David Weber, John Scalzi, etc.

15. The Man Who Sold the Moon

The Man Who Sold the Moon Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2012
    So if Scalzi would write an SW book he should dumb it down?

16. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Not necessarily, the book can go into more detail than the movies that actually have to be accessible to kids. I don't expect Band of Brothers when I watch Star Wars.

17. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Here's something.

Star Wars uses "medieval" tactics because it is supposed to be 'fantacy' an not 'sci-fi'.

Now lets here some thoughts from you.

18. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    They apparently had a Navy Seal providing movements for clone troopers in ROTS.

19. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, they did.

20. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Cool. One or more? I read a couple of books about BUDS (training of Seals). That's some serious beating they take. Luke on Dagobah had it much easier :)

21. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Lol. I donno. At least SEAL instructors don't talk backwards. :p

I'm assuming it'd just be one...ILM wouldn't need more than that.

22. Hero of Tukayyid

Hero of Tukayyid Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2012
    We had seen clones the in action on Utapau only and it looked ok to me(Mygettto and soo on but threre they were long combat sequences). I was never in the military. What do people who were in the army or are currently serving think?

23. Hero of Tukayyid

Hero of Tukayyid Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2012
    We had seen clones the in action on Utapau only and it looked ok to me(Mygettto and soo on but threre they were long combat sequences). I was never in the military. What do people who were in the army or are currently serving think?

Sorry.

24. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I'm in the military. They looked correct.

25. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    The droids walking in square formations and just shooting from the hip seems logical, having in mind that they're cheap, expendable and not overly sophisticated.

As for other fights, they could use a bit more of a WW2 feel to them. Fire and maneouver and such.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.