main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - Episode 5.8 - Bound for Rescue- discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Who has a grudge on Ahsoka?, we may have an better idea if we knew who had a grudge

2. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Gunray. :D Probably not, but it would have been interesting..

3. Convor

Convor Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 25, 2011
  4. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    [face_laugh] I guess Kenobi didn't think Grievous could cross a 0.7 mile long ship that fast. lol Definitely a :oops:moment.

5. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    This arc is succeeding far better than it has any right to.

If you told me I'd be highly enjoying an arc about younglings joining a circus and performing for a drunk Hondo, I'd swear you were crazy.

In fact, other than the initial boarding by Grievous, that section was the weakest of the episode and the space "battle" seemed disjointed or something. And it seemed tacked on.

As far as the younglings go, not trying to be pedantic but you've got one female who can't finish her lightsabers and one who has to stay behind and take care of the ship.

8.5/10 rounded up to 9/10.

6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Rounding up for apparent sexism? [face_shame_on_you]

:p

Seerow, DavidIX and KenobiSkywalker like this.
  7. DavidIX

DavidIX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    Just finished watching the episode..

Ok so the Obi and Grievous duel was really really short. I was expecting at least some decent back and forth saber action. Very disappointing in that entire scene. The boarding was the best part about it. The Space battle was far to short although it looked promising.

Hondo once again steals the show- " I'm flying!" lol. He's such a character. Asohka looked like she had been beaten by Hondo and his men there; she looked like she was losing her will. The whole circus act was ok..This arc in general is getting better...Here's to a grand finale.

rumblewagon likes this.
  8. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It would have been a total win.

9. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Okay, I saw the episode yesterday, my memory is a bit hazy because I had my friend Mary Jane over at the time, so the episode didn't have my undivided attention. However from what I can recall, I really enjoyed the episode.

-It had all the important SW trademarks- Lightsabers, space battles, armies going at each other... but then it also included the unusual, in the form of a circus. That idea was sooo out there and crazy, I sometimes forgot I was watching TCW. Yet it felt like something that fits perfectly into the GFFA. That's what I love about SW, with a little bit of re-imagining any kind of fairy tale or classic motif can become a part of their galaxy and feel like it was always supposed to be there.

-The designs of the circus folk (and especially the choice of species) was just brilliant all around.

-I enjoyed how sinister they've turned Hondo by hinting at what he's done to the previous bunch of circus artists. Especially because of those piercing white reflections from the circus ship that bounce off his eyes as he says it.

-The one thing that's more entertaining than Hondo is drunk Hondo! [face_laugh]

-Loved the side story of Kenobi vs. Grievous. For repeat viewings sake, there should be an option on CN.com or the Blu-Ray to watch each story line in one uninterrupted piece. I wish the music had been a bit stronger, though. Felt too much like Season 1 in that regard.

-I enjoyed how serious Kenobi's tone was at the beginning of his holo-address to Grievous.

-I'd say Obi Wan wanted to show true sportsman and at least give his opponent a fair chance. I guess this can be interpreted as part of his Jedi codex. Though, what kinda speaks against that fairness, was that Kenobi did imply he'd get Grievous back for crushing that poor Clone Trooper right in front of him. Oh well, a flub for viewing's sake.

-Yet another homage to Search for Spock's "Klingons on the abandoned hero ship" idea? Didn't we just have that with the pirates in the last episode? Granted, this time they actually sacrificed the ship, like in Star Trek III.

All in all, a very bizarre mixture thanks to the circus scenes, yet it felt so familiar.
    Keep on treading new ground like that, TCW writers!=D=

10. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    The Circus scenes were great. As you say the ship moments are like Star Trek and the circus scenes have been a total tribute to "A Bug's Life" - this arc has been a genius mix of homages and references.

11. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Aurra Sing? Most of the galaxy...

12. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    Actually Paparazzo is right. Like Padme, most of the galaxy would like to get a chance to get back at Ahsoka. Including Grievous...

Paparazzo likes this.
  13. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Lol, gotta add this to best Hondo moments. Just rewatched.

Random Pirate: "Its those Jedi kids..."
    Hondo: "Wha..? The kids are Jedi?" - Falls. -

14. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    The fall makes ROFL hard. :D

15. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Guys it was late when I watched the episode but I think you're missing the point on Ahsoka.

I thought Hondo was saying he knew someone interested in Jedi...especially female Jedi.

I don't think it was interested specifically in Ahsoka as bounty.

16. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    Why would the business person not care if she was dead or alive though? [face_sick]

17. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I thought Hondo had a buyer looking for a female Jedi slave actually. Pretty messed up. That makes me wonder who. <<;

18. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Another week, another story in the saga of the Young Jedi. Once again, we have been treated to an enjoyable, adventurous romp, light on characterization but full of fun.

Some points of note:

The General Kenobi?” This arc has had its little moments of internal continuity like this and the respect for the legendary Jedi of the Order coming from the next generation is a nice touch.

Katooni’s “ I’ll finish mine [her lightsaber] when I’m ready” felt to me like an understanding of Jedi patience and following the will of the Force, where the line could easily have come off as a petulant child’s retort. Well done by the voice actor.

Speaking of Katooni, we find that she is for patience and following Kenobi’s directive, offering the only dissenting voice against attempting to rescue Ahsoka. This is all well and good, but when it comes to light that the ship is damaged and will require repair, Petro offers the compromise of setting the ship down on Florrum for said repairs and Katooni, with the group’s hands tied, cannot argue. When Petro then slyly tacks the rescue attempt on at the end, as if it were the only logical, reasonable culmination of his proposal, suddenly there is no argument.

I mentioned this before, but I love Gungi’s choice of lightsaber hilt and it was a pleasure to see it completed.

Incidentally, after 2 ½ episodes with the identity of the voice of Petro just dancing on the tip of my tongue (and driving me progressively all the more mad), it finally hit me. Petro is voiced by Jeff Fischer, who is known for portraying, well… Jeff Fischer!

The space battle had a sense of grandeur which came off as a mix of the space campaigns of the Battles of Coruscant and Endor. There was a moment during the battle in the hangar bay between the forces of Obi-Wan Kenobi and General Grievous where I uttered “wow” out-loud and I realized that once again, TCW has topped itself and is just visually stunning. And hey, I was wondering, have we been told yet just where this battle took place?

Even as a huge fan of Obi-Wan, I was already getting tired of seeing Grievous face the good Jedi General again by the Battle of Third Kamino arc in Season 3. That said, it looked incredible (as always) and Grievous had a welcome menacing quality about him. Coming off of the Battle of Dathomir, it feels to me that the show’s producers are catching up with the deadly Grievous of the comics without going overboard in the manner of the depictions of the Jedi in the original Clone Wars cartoon.

It sure was nice to have some good war zone Cody action (and he looks great in his Phase 2 armor). “General, the fuel barrels.” More please!

In spite of the fun this battle brings, everybody has to have been asking themselves the same question I was, “Why warn Grievous and leave him with the chance for escape?” It seems irresponsible of Obi-Wan, as killing the General has to mean a sooner end to the war. Have we been witness to some misguided tenet of the Jedi code? It may have been better to take advantage of Grievous’ reputation as a coward and used the self-destruct tactic as a ruse, encouraging the CIS to flee and enabling the 212th to re-take the ship.

Back on Florrum, as she is imbued with a Jedi’s sense of fortitude (to say nothing of her sense of pride), I was surprised that Ahsoka would even try to take the sip from Hondo’s cup. She must have really been hurting, I guess.

When Ahsoka threatens that Ohnaka will “wish [he’d] been born a protocol droid, the delivery in Hondo’s “sometimes I do anyway” is priceless.

I like Priego and his traveling circus, but I have to ask, if Hondo cut off the heads of your last performers, why would you return?

I have to say, I was surprised how much loved the Animal Instincts. They came off as a Jedi version of the Leaping Tee. Wonderful. It was unexpected, light-hearted and fun.

“I’m flyyyyying!” “I may not be as young as I once was… but I am older!” Drunk Hondo = fun Hondo!

It’s nice to see that Ahsoka is seeing more and more of herself in the Initiates. Ah, the circle of life.

ps. Let’s put the good professor back together already.

19. Paparazzo

Jan 31, 2011
    When he speaks all I see is

[​IMG]

20. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    ^Doesn't help the character at all does it?

21. Paparazzo

Jan 31, 2011
    P.S Did anyone else think that leaving one of the young Jedi behind to protect the ship was going to relevant?

22. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Both Akash and Q mentioned it. That's probably a sign your onto something. Really go read like the last 3 pages of The Clone Wars General thread. See JediMaster_1977 posts. There is a little discussion about something shocking happening to the kids in there. You know, I think I had a revelation just flash before my eyes. Either that or its the cough meds. I'll post it in the General thread in a bit. This thread has to stay focused on this episode.

23. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    I think the business man Hondo was referring to is
    Grievous
    . Hondo just doesn't know it's him.

Barriss_Coffee, cwustudent and Seerow like this.
  24. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Your probably right.

25. Dark-Fox

Dark-Fox Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    [face_rofl] That, sir, is funny.