main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Tennant Wants In!

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by The-Eternal-Hero, Nov 18, 2012.

1. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    Matt Smith is a better Doctor.

That said, Tennant was okay and I would be fine if he had a cameo on the film. Similar to what Greg Propps or whatever he's called did in episode 1.

2. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Not to beat a dead horse, but...Hayden was always average at best.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The Hamill Effect is something the lead of this new trilogy is going to have to deal with. The same thing has happened to Elijah Wood since LOTR, he's hardly had any roles in anything major except Sin City.

Being part of a huge franchise is a problem, only really good actors can shake it off. Harrison Ford got over Han Solo and went on to greater things, just as Connery did with Bond.
    Hamill has done some fine voice work, but he was never a great actor anyway so it's not that suprising he hasn't done much since SW.

As for Tennant, I have no issue with him being in the film so long as he doesn't look too much like himself or I'll keep thinking of him as The Doctor.

4. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I would love Tennant to be in SW. [face_love]
    While I think of him as the Doctor, I've seen him in a few other things and don't think of him that way when I'm watching him.

5. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I'm calling BS. Hamill did the best acting job of any actor in each Episode he was in. Mark's acting made Yoda REAL. He is a fine actor, I suggest checking out some of his movies such as The Big Red One and Slipstream to see his acting ability. Maybe not the best movies of their genre, but he did a great job in them.

The problem was that he did too good a job BEING Luke and was typecast as such. Harrison got over Han Solo because Lucas gave him Indiana Jones, but I dare you to watch any of his movies from Air Force one to Patriot Games. He always acts the same.

[​IMG]

6. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Eh, he's been on The Clone Wars, why not?

7. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    You, do you think there's any actor that grew up with the Original Trilogy that doesn't want in? I mean come on... even Samuel L. Jackson basically said 'It's Star Wars... of course' when he was approached for the PT.

8. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    As I've been continuously pulling for Tennant since his Clone Wars appearance, as that was about half of what actually pulled me back to this site after a decade of non-use (and I never would have given a Prequels spin-off the time of day without a reason like that--and I can now actually say that the cartoon has its moments, as I'm now watching through season 2)... Along with the VII news containing Harrison, Carrie and Mark, of course. If the ST were going to not have them, I wouldn't be half as excited.

But yeah, David Tennant is a genuine sci-fi nerd (really, truly--he's the only NuWho actor who's been in a Classic Who commentary) and a damn good actor (and he's done quite a lot more than just the Doctor). Mainstream American press was picking up the story about him voicing a SW cartoon, for goodness' sake! I'm surprised the American media even care about him, as he's mainly well-known in the U.K. and amongst nerds. American entertainment readers barely know anything about Doctor Who (a lot of them probably don't even realize BBCA is even in their expensive cable package).

As for the best Doctors... Well, they're David Tennant, Patrick Troughton and Tom Baker, IMO. David and Tom win polls like crazy, so I'm hardly out of the mainstream opinion there. And yeah, I'm really not basing my liking of David because I haven't seen the others (hardly!--I've seen the vast majority of 49 years-worth of episodes, missing episode recons included, and have even dabbled in Big Finish).

Even if he's merely reprising some ancient, beat-up version of Huyang, the lightsaber droid, which Luke has somehow found and put back together, it would be exciting. Of course, if he had a more substantial face role, it would be amazing, even it it were for an officer, senator, technician, etc... Villainy is certainly something he does just as well as romantic heroics, too. He could easily be a mature actor supporting role. Obviously, he's 41, so way past the kids' ages. But even the 'kids' in the OT had Han, who aged up the feel of the trio considerably.

As I've mentioned repeatedly, the British acting pool that the OT mined so heavily were frequent guest stars on Doctor Who back in the day (Garrick Hagon a.k.a. Biggs, Jeremy Bulloch a.k.a. Boba Fett, Julian Glover a.k.a. Veers, Leslie Schofield a.k.a. Bast, Michael Sheard a.k.a. Ozzel, David Prowse a.k.a. Vader and there were even Peter Cushing's Dalek movies where he played "Dr Who"). It's tradition. Warwick Davis has a role in DW coming up and Garrick Hagon (was previously in the Pertwee era) made his return last season!

9. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    My personal faves are:

William Hartnell
    Peter Davison
    Sylvester McCoy
    Paul McGann

But I love 'em all.

Tennant's awesome and they'd be fools not to find a role for him, he can do anything. Imagine him let loose on a mo-cap animated alien Jedi or cool side character? Could be brilliant.

10. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    So do we want his natural Scottish accent then?

11. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    (Gak, I meant Garrick was in the last half-series. It feels like last season, though. 2012 was a depressing gap year.)

Yeah, they'd definitely be fools not to put him somewhere, even if its just his voice. I was actually surprised how much attention his Clone Wars appearance generated (though it coincided quite accidentally with the Episode VII announcement--David recorded all of his lines a year and a half ago).

I'd definitely like to see him allowed to use his natural Scottish accent. Just don't ever ask him to attempt an American one. It's awful (and I say that as a huge fan). The generic Estuary one is fine (a lot of Scottish actors have a terrible time hiding their accents--just look at Sean Connery!), though it certainly would connect him more to the Doctor if he used that (he came right after Christopher Eccleston's Northern persona, so they wanted to avoid 'touring the regions'--he had wanted to use his Scottish accent, but only got to briefly in Tooth & Claw--Sylvester McCoy was also Scottish). His natural accent would put some distance between him and DW. It's also a perfectly lovely voice he has.

Americans who don't watch foreign geek television shows probably would know him more for his appearance in Harry Potter!

12. Varactyl

Varactyl Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2012
    That would be terribly distracting to me. I wasn't a 10 fan. *hides from rotten tomatoes* I haven't seen him in anything else though so I defer to people who have.

13. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Ten was ok. I liked Nine more though. Eccleston just had this....endearing smug quality that i liked.

14. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't think I have to really explain how much I would love this.

But seriously, I think he could play a large variety of roles and be great in them. Anyone who's actually seen his body of work would know that. Villain, Jedi, smuggler... he could seriously do any of those.

Not that I think it's actually likely, but one can dream. And he is one of the biggest bona fide nerds in the business.

15. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Have you seen any of the work he did as a teenager?

16. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Yeah, it was average. So what?

17. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    I'm sure Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christiansen didn't think that at first....

18. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Well playing a lead role is poison... big names playing background parts is almost a tradition.

19. Boxster

Boxster Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    Dunno who is Tennant but Hayden's acting is incredibly stiff and he is not a good choice to play Anakin, at all! But than again, Lucas thought Jar Jar Binks was a good idea.

20. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Never heard from either of them before or after their stints as Anakin Skywalker. I'm sure Jake Lloyd was destined for great things as an actor, (yells to the sky and shakes fist in anger) "Damn you Star Wars, JL was supposed to be the next DeNiro!!!"

21. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Actually Hayden has acted pretty steadily, just nothing big at all. Basically the same thing that happened to Hamill. But Mark does a great Joker voice!

22. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Lot's of Doctor Who fans in Canada, especially women, he is pretty well known here. I can think of at least 4 female friends who are big Who addicts

23. bergstrom

bergstrom Jedi Master star 2

Jan 26, 2004
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. NO . NO . NO. No way! Jeez!

24. C Creepio

C Creepio Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 1999
    Yep.

Hayden wasn't going to have a career anyway, no matter how "talented" he was/is. So you can't really say SW killed his career, since he was never going to have one in the first place. Same goes for Mark Hamill.

25. poundpuppy29

poundpuppy29 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2007
    I would love to see him in a Star Wars Trilogy I recently discovered Doctor Who I think he's an awesome actor