main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD Hey Where did my Thread Go? And some other fun stuff

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by PrincessKenobi , Nov 2, 2012.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Frankakin skywalker likes this.
  2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    There needs to be a way for people to figure out which thread the stopped thread has been merged into.

3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I would not be opposed if the "Post New Thread" button was turned off in this forum until sometime in 2013. There are WAY too many threads and a lot of EU spoilers right in the thread titles that may be upsetting to those trying to stay spoiler free. I'd be fine with one thread each for possible plot, possible characters, possible title, possible directors/writers and possible connections to the rest of the Star Wars saga. I know my opinion isn't a popular one and I wouldn't want to drive people away who felt this forum felt more like a dictatorship than a democracy, but at the end of the day I favor order over chaos.

Frankakin skywalker and LawJedi like this.
  4. Darth Shibs

Darth Shibs Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    LMAOOOOOOOOO

5. Darth Shibs

Darth Shibs Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Don't force lightning me, bro!

6. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I don't think that eliminating any new thread possibility is the right way to go. That hinders possible new discussion ideas.

7. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009

8. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Not all ideas can be compartmentalized that easily.

9. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    I think the thread about episode 7 is so famous that old threads goes away rapidly.

10. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    The Mods on this board, while generally correct, have the ability to close threads on a whim. From what I've seen recently, no direction or reason is given. Seems to me a more accurate and reasoned approach is needed. If you close a thread, leave a post as to the reason and offer a solution to the OP.
    If you're going to close a door, provide a window.

11. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    How about locking threads instead of merging them?

Now we have people coming into the directors thread saying (a week afterwards) "Hey I heard Brad Bird isn't going to direct!" .

12. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Well in defense of that tf.n did just post an article on all the directors that said they were out and who still hasn't commented earlier tonight.

13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  14. FORCEFED

FORCEFED Jedi Master star 5

Nov 27, 2002
    no that would be too much work for these people.

15. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    As was pointed out elsewhere, there seem to be an awful lot of threads about the same thing (around 20 just on speculating about Luke in the ST?). I notice a lot of spam threads do get locked, but I think we really need to have Mods decide "this is the official thread for this topic, all others will be locked" which doesn't seem to be happening so much.
    And this place does have 8 listed moderators, organising it so it is far more streamlined and not littered with repetitve and redundant topics shouldn't be so hard (I hate to bash Mods for things, I get ya'll have RL and so on & taking on the responsibility is undoubtedly not easy).

It seems many nerds are happy to mock other nerds for beings nerds and doing what nerds do, but there is no reason this place can't have good discussion without being a laughing stock.

Obviously that is more likely to happen once we learn more about the ST, and since speculation is all we currently have to go on that is what is going to be the norm.

We do at least have an index thread which is helpful.

16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I have to agree with Richie... kinda seems like you guys have given up. This place is a raging cluster****.

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    But...but...we need multiple threads of the same topic in order to reach full internets capacity.

Panakas_Dawg and eht13 like this.
  18. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    I say let the inmates run the asylum for a bit until we start getting some leaks and 'real' news. then, we can focus on specifics. Otherwise, it's like inviting a busload of kids to Disney World, making them stand outside the gates and saying to them, "You'll have to wait until next year to get in."

Right now, it'd be like closing/merging several threads hourly.

19. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Maybe, but we can't have anarchy.

We don't need 5 versions of the same thread, the index is there to help people find the topic they want to discuss. Merging isn't needed most of the time, just close something and lnk to the appropriate place.

I agree that right now given how little info we have on the movies random speculation and fan desires are all we have, but a chaotic forum with crazy trolls and endless repetitive threads doesn't encourage a lot of people to post.
    I saw how popular the Ep7 thread in the JCC was before it was locked and this area created, but I don't many of those posters here because they clearly aren't keen to post.

Panakas_Dawg likes this.
  20. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I concur. This forum is a disaster. I don't really blame the mods. Posters in here don't seem to bother checking existing threads, and start threads for anything and everything under the sun. The number of "news" threads that post an article that has already been discussed is also puzzling and annoying. People also don't seem to want to stay on the topic of a thread, eventually every thread seems to devolve into PT vs OT which is an argument I was tired of by about 2006.

Yes the mods could be more aggressive but posters need to use some common sense, too. This is anarchy and is really detracting from the ability to have coherent discussions and keep up to date on the rare bit of news that comes along.

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    To give credit where it is due... JoeyArnoldTM produces a fine selection of original topics. Quite original, actually...

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah I am getting really tired of the OT vs. PT bashing as well. Save that kind of stuff for the OT forum and the PT forum. We still have those forums right? Or better yet, just don't do it and move on.

LawJedi and eht13 like this.
  23. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    The problem is that users sneak passive-aggressive comments into posts. It's as simple as saying, "Obi Wan knew what was up, unlike in the disaster that was TPM..." (to make up an entry). It worms its way in, stays there, festers, someone else responds, then begun the Flame War has.

It's like the EU stuff. If someone posts "I wonder if Luke will get married..." and a ton of people post "No, he doesn't because in the books..." (or whatever) then we end up with every thread debating the validity of the EU. People mean well, but it just gets under people's skin and may actually hamper speculation and discussion.

I agree, though - these films are out. We're now talking Ep 7. Take the bashing elsewhere.

24. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    There's nothing wrong with saying you think something is bad, especially a subjective thing like movies. I don't mind if people think the PT is bad, arguing back is fine just don't insult people when you do it.

But the debate about how bad or good the PT might be is not really relevant to the discussions here, the ST should link to both trilogies if it's done right.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Well said. The problem is when the people who dislike something (the PT in this case) are insulting about it to those who do like it. Statements like "no, they are NOT good", "sorry, but you're wrong", or "these are objectively bad films" are really just thinly veiled attacks passed off as debating or discussion.

Also, I totally agree that the ST needs to link to both trilogies... I think it needs to feel like a continuation of the Saga, meaning all six films that came before it.