main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Republic vs Separatists

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Deputy Rick Grimes, Nov 19, 2012.

?

Republic vs Separatists

1. Republic

46.7%
  2. Separatist

53.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Who do you root for the most in the series?

I would choose Republic

2. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
  3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Not surprising for you [face_laugh]

4. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    Separatists, they're not bad, just miss understood.

5. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Where is the neutral option?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Forgot to add one

7. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
  8. The Man Who Sold the Moon

The Man Who Sold the Moon Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2012
    I would move to a nice planet on the fringes of the galaxy and i would let these idiots kill eachother.

JediMaster_1977 likes this.
  9. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Republic..

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Votes are tied :p

11. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    Separatists lead at this moment.

12. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    SPOILER ALERT
    The Empire

Order66Survivor and Darth_Kiryan like this.
  13. Dark-Fox

Dark-Fox Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    Seppies.
    No disrespect to jedi and clones of course, just find droids really interesting. I blame TPM for making me hear the Theed Invasion theme. Have we heard that piece in TCW yet?

Answering this question is actually harder than it appears because as an audience we know the truth about the republic. If it were real life, it could be argued that the CIS is right for the wrong reasons.

14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    nice one lol

15. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Yeah, its really hard to vote. In the end I guess all you can do is vote for the side your favorite characters are on since neither is right or the winning side.

16. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    It is not about the winning side but indeed about the side we favor more.

17. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    The CIS is a wholly owned subsidiary of the galactic cartels and Sith Lords, while the Republic is only a partially owned subsidiary.

"There are heroes on both sides. Evil is everywhere."

They've both got their good, bad, neutral and ugly elements within them and neither of them is as evil and hegemonic as the Empire or as righteous as the Rebel Alliance. On balance, I'd go with the Republic. The CIS has war criminals, corruption, oligarchic rule and the goal of entrenched power crushing all who dare rise up against it, and the Republic rapidly devolves into an authoritarian nightmare that's just as bad. There's at least hope with the Republic that its more benign factions can win out, but I can easily see why someone would think the CIS can be turned into a force for good.

Damn, this is just like real-world politics. You'll never find out-and-out good guys and bad guys, just factions who you believe to be the lesser and greater evils relative to each other. Take away the speculative fiction elements and you see the conflicts of our own societies. That specific parallel is one thing I like about the Clone Wars era.

18. Zabrak 2

Zabrak 2 Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 7, 2012
    The Separtist will be slaughtered then probaly all slaved or killed by the empire so im going with Republic.

19. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Well said. [face_idea]

Order66Survivor likes this.
  20. Spazmatron

Spazmatron Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 19, 2012
    I love the republic because of courscant, the Jedi, the clones and their armour, the gunships, the tanks, venators, and every thing else about them. Especially their colors. I love red.

I like the separtists droids, mainly droideka's they are my favorite and I like the AAT a bit, the STAP, and the Munificent class frigate... EDIT: and the tri fighters and their gunships :D lol

21. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    The Republic is winning by one vote

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  22. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Well. Go Republic! Go Clone Troopers!

Darth Vader and KenobiSkywalker like this.
  23. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    If there is a "good side" at all in this (which is highly debatable), it is certainly the Separatists.

All other things being equal (and sometimes, admittedly, they are not), I strongly support the right of any people to secede from a bigger union. Secession gets a bad rap in America because it's associated with one of the times all things weren't equal - our own Civil War, in which one side strove to abolish slavery* and the other side to maintain it. But let's not forget that America itself seceded from the British Empire - George Washington was every bit as much a "Separatist" as Dooku or Grievous. There have been other examples, too. Gandhi is thought of as a hero for leading his country's secession from the British Empire. Most people thought it a good thing when Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia were finally able to secede from the Soviet Union. America bombed the living crap out of Serbia back in 1999 until it finally agreed to allow Kosovo to secede.

As for the galaxy far, far away - well, at least if the Separatists had somehow managed to succeed (hard to see how, as they were set up to fail from the start), Palpatine wouldn't have been able to extend his rule over the whole galaxy. At least there would have been some kind of check on his power.

And the thing is, all the complaints that the Separatists had about the Republic were essentially true. It was precisely these problems - corruption, ineffectual leadership, cronyism, and so on - that allowed Palpatine to rise to power in the Republic.

Also, there's an argument to be made for the idea that the Separatists actually fought more ethically, on the whole. At least they used machines to do their fighting, instead of breeding millions of sentient beings to be shot and maimed for their cause - which is pretty sick once you think about it.

So all in all, I'm a Separatist.

(*Well, sort of - the degree to which the Union fought to abolish slavery, as opposed to how much it fought just to keep the country intact, has been greatly exaggerated in something of a historical retcon).

24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Votes are tied again

25. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Seems kinda appropriate actually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.