main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [Doctor Who] Series 7 Discussion - SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mar17swgirl, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    And I didn't. I just took it as garbage.

2. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Seriously, SJ is quite right about the BBC at least, in that sci-fi series tend to get looked down on. I'd like to think that's changing, especially with the critical success of US cable shows in the fantasy/sci-fi genre such as Game of Thrones, but we'll see.

solojones likes this.
  3. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    It's not that they get looked down on, it's that many of their big attempts at doing new, original sci-fi fail spectacularly. Look at Outcasts for example. That was written by the creator of one of the BBC's biggest hits, Spooks, and had a rather large production budget. It started off with decent viewing figures for the first couple of episodes, but the fact that the show ended up being quite dire lost it its viewer base rather quickly, to the point that the BBC didn't see the value in keeping it in the prime time slot that they gave it.

And as much as you may criticise the beeb for their lack of genre shows it does in actual fact make some very good ones. Only this year did The Fades, a great genre show produced by the BBC, win a BAFTA. And while it was axed after one season that was only due to budget cuts made at BBC Three thanks to the license fee freeze.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  4. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Ah, Outcasts. It wasn't as bad as its fate suggested, but it was something of a struggle by the end. :p

5. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    The Fades was good but grim.

6. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    I asked Caroline Skinner about the production challenges behind going from The Fades to Doctor Who when I was at the Asylum of the Daleks premiere. She mentioned that there were a lot of stories left to tell that she really liked, which suggested to me that at some point there was some concrete groundwork for season 2 and maybe season 3. It gives me hope that if the BBC get the money back together they will recommission it.

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    At the very least I should think that Who fans would consider their favorite show would consider it serious, quality work.

8. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Iain De Caestecker has signed up for Marvel's SHIELD tv series, so the chances of further series of The Fades... not so likely.

9. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    SHIELD is a Joss Whedon show, you never know who'll get killed off! :p

Random Comments and Juliet316 like this.
  10. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    From here in the UK it looks like a Christmas Dinner practise run ;)

Random Comments likes this.
  11. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    SJ, seriously, learn when to take a back seat. You said something maybe in jest which some people took offence at. It backfired. Don't dig a deeper hole for yourself. We Brits may be uptight, but we also do well with apologies.

Chewgumma likes this.
  12. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Anyone who's even slightly familiar with SJ's posting history knows she's an Anglophile, and no offense was meant.

13. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Not to drag this out, but being an Anglophile doesn't excuse someone when they make a rash generalisation IMO. I'm not someone who is particularly patriotic, but I do happen to get very annoyed when people talk on my behalf by including me in a blanket statement. Doubly so when I don't see any evidence for hijacking my nationality to make some kind of point.

14. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I hardly think she needs to be excused for making a tongue-in-cheek comment. I assume she thought she was among friends and had a certain amount of leeway; evidently she was wrong.:(

Personally, I think you're being ridiculously defensive, and as an Englishman I'm rather embarrassed at the fuss you're making.

15. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    What fuss? I stated I wasn't sure if she was being serious, and halibut followed up with a comment about inadvertent racism. The only response after that was pretty much "lol, english isn't a race". No clarification about it being a tongue in cheek joke, which given it's the internet and dry humour is lost in type is something people should be prepared to do if someone takes something the wrong way. From that I could only come to the conclusion that she meant what she said, so yes I'm going to rubbish someone for that. And as I've already said, I haven't just done this in defence of the British, I have rubbished people for making generalisations about Americans in this thread too. I have no time of day for such things.

16. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    I dont Know if you guys know this but Epic Rap Battles of History Has Dr.Who vs Doc brown a few months ago.

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Cool.:cool:

Brilliant voice acting by Tom Baker.

18. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Tom Baker is awesome. I don't know if I've posted it here before but I love how he ends up trolling the troll in this prank call:

KamSolusar, MrZAP and Juliet316 like this.
  19. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    That caller rallied magnificently.:p

20. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    It's Friday night and there's no trailer for the Christmas Special. Or prequel. :( I guess last week really was a one off. :p

Chewgumma likes this.
  21. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm sorry, so sorry, I had to do this:

22. PirateofRohan

PirateofRohan Jedi Master star 3

Dec 11, 2009
    I would shoot myself in the head, but it's Doctor Who's 49th anniversary still in several parts of the world, so I can't.:p Also, a brilliant article on the Doctor's age that I am officially calling canon. Well, specifically option number 4. Also, watching "The Ribos Experiment" right now. Romana I is offically my favorite of the two. Lalla Ward's portrayal is just too peppy for me. Mary Tamm's version reminds me of River Song. I'm rambling now. Adieu.

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    There's no "he's lying" option, which I think would be the explanation Moffat would go with if the Doctor's age is indeed inaccurate in-universe.

24. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Honestly, I always liked the way Moffat not-so-subtly "fixed" the issue in his first episode.

"900 years of phone-box travel"

Indeed, the single thing I disliked about Gaiman's episode was that he had the TARDIS refer to a 700 period. Boo!

Random Comments likes this.
  25. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I seem to have missed this whole "Tennant might do Star Wars OMG!" thing. I will say I think it's a good idea, because Star Wars is awesome and the more decent actors that are in it the better it is likely to be.

Plenty of good Sci-Fi that needs good actors, I think it is an under-used genre.

Juliet316 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.