main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Stickied threads are so not working, noobs just glance right over them.

You should just make the entire first page out of stickied threads with the most commonly used thread titles. Probably still wouldn't work, though.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm a noob and I read them. Mainly because I don't want to get banned. That wouldn't be very good.

kainee likes this.
  3. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Wow, this kind of feels like a scolding from your parents, "Happy-fun-time is over!"

4. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    The bannings will continue until morale improves.

kainee, Esg, Lord Vivec and 6 others like this.
  5. Jobertus

Oct 31, 2012
    I suppose--due to the ages of the big 3--it's fair to say that the ST will not begin any earlier than 30 years post-RotJ, which would leave the EU largely intact without infringing on the all-new competely original story that the ST will be. As a fan of the EU, I hope the ST begins later than that, say around 45 AB (leaving the entirety of the EU up to that point intact), which would make it possible for TPTB to use Jaina Solo and Ben Skywalker as the next generation of Skywalker protagonists. As unlikely as it is that TPTB will use these characters or give a damn about the EU, until we get confirmation of this, we fans of the EU can still hold out hope that TPTB will have any respect for it. I think this can be done without tying the hands of TPTB in any meaningful way. However the ST turns out, if it trounces what I've come to know about the EU, I will embrace it and roll with the paradigm shifts in the SW-EU and my own view of the saga in general.

For my part, (assuming TPTB care to leave the EU intact in some form) I would like to see in the ST...

Luke as a bad*** Jedi Master at the head of the (probably fledgling) New Jedi Order and its council, if he has to die--have him go out kicking some bad guy ***.
    Leia as a political bigwig or (preferably) a Jedi Master (on the council.) She probably won't be an ***kicking Jedi, I mean she could if he had to, but her role would be that of peaceful negotiator, which is part of what the Jedi are.
    As mentioned above, Jaina and Ben as the new protagonists. It sets up too perfectly for this to be the case, which is why I expect they won't appear and new Skywalkers will.
    Jedi and non-Jedi EU characters appear even if they don't have major roles.
    Some bad*** new villain (or villains) appear, even if it would call into question Anakin's acheivements in RotJ, I would like the RoT Sith to appear or rather someone trying to re-establish them and in the end failing to do so and being vanbquished at the hands of the new protagonists.
    I would like to see the New Republic in these films, I'm aware that it was created and destroyed before. Perhaps a Third Republic is formed during this trilogy--one which lasts longer than 20 years.

If George Lucas is intent on destroying what we know about the post-RotJ EU, I wish he would not have okayed what was created out of it when he said there would be no more Star Wars films beyond RotJ. I only started reading these books because there was not going to be another forum for me to learn about the further adventures of the big 3 and friends other than to read them. To see that trashed dampens my enthusiasm for the SWU in some small way, but I'll get over it, when and if it happens.

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    So are posts talking about how we'll be glad to see certain elements of the post-ROTJ era EU overruled by Episode VII allowed here or not? :p

7. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah I need some place to post my flow charts, diagrams, and power points regarding the EU being part of the canon!

8. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Not disagreeing with you or addressing your points directly , but isn't this exactly what we're not supposed to be discussing in this thread?

9. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    I'll get this Good Ship Lollipop going full steam:

I dislike the quality of the writing in the EU books. I do like some of the ideas and characters. A filmmaker's slavish devotion to source material - *any* source material is not good filmmaking/screenwriting.

However, I am not averse to any EU inclusion in the films as long as I am able to enjoy the film and story without having to go to the books.

All that said, I wish to hell they had done (or will do) a "Shadows of the Empire" movie. The novel-video game-graphic novel triumvirate storytelling device was cool, but I wanted a movie.

kainee likes this.
  10. Jobertus

Oct 31, 2012
    If so, then it's my error and I apologize to all parties I have offended and for violating the codes they have written. My intent wasn't to speak directly or indirectly to canonical elements of the EU as it pertains to the Sequel Trilogy or Episode VII. At this point anything we talk about with regards to the ST is purely speculative. All we know is that there will be a sequel trilogy, not when it will be taking place, or who will be in it, or if it will alter what we've known about the post-RotJ SWU before. If what I have typed is breaking the rules in here, it is not because I intentionally set out to flaunt some disregard for the rules, because I respect the rules as put forth by TPTB of these boards. With my way of thinking as it pertains to the saga and the fact that there will be a sequel trilogy it is paradoxical in my mind without word from Lucasfilm to confirm or deny elements of the ST, to not wonder(or allude to) whether elements of the EU I know and love will continue to exist as I know them. Or to be frank, I'm just not smart enough to separate this stuff in my mind to talk about these things without alluding to elements which may in fact be persona non grata in this thread.

Pro Scoundrel , Robimus and LawJedi like this.
  11. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    No disrespect meant. You just summed up exactly why I don't understand the purpose of this thread or policy.

12. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    What will upset me the most about part or all the EU post ROTJ becoming non-canon is the fact that time & time again George said NO MORE STAR WARS FILMS after ROTJ so what does a fan do but start reading & digesting all the post ROTJ novels ect ! so I have invested time & money & know all the new characters well....So if your listening Disney ! at 45ABY you have a blank sheet of paper to work with , you have established characters to work with so why go & stuff this all up for an audience who can simply be told to look up the galactic time line on wookepidia & get up to date that way .

woochacka-da-bookie and werpudel like this.
  13. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Great work, another forum on TF.N that I don't need to visit.

More seriously I find it difficult to fathom that your kicking out the Expanded Universe fans over nothing. Do you not want people to be a part of your forum?

Varguitas and Esg like this.
  14. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Begun, the Cannon Wars have.

I understand and appreciate the need to control EU discussion into a consolidated thread. However, I think there is a very slippery slope in trying to determine what is and what is permissable Cannon discusssion.

15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I have a feeling this'll be far worse than the Mass Effect canon wars on the Bioware forums. *shudder*

kainee, LANDO_ROCKS and Esg like this.
  16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    A wise man once said,

"The forthcoming Star Wars EP VII vs EU Canon Debate:

You do realize you'll be arguing that one set of FICTION is more "real" or less "real" than another set of FICTION?"

17. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    If it were any other subject, I would have said that the Bioware boards are worse. But this particular one.... I'm not sure who would come out on top. The BSN is one of the worst places for discussion I have ever seen, but I also remember lurking during the tail end of the last Canon War here.

18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Well at least profanity isn't aloud.

19. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Well of course it's not "aloud," this is a text based message board. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    That explains why there's no video chat rooms.

21. Varguitas

Varguitas Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 2012
    Why did we get castigated for nothing? I'm going to have to go somewhere else If I want to talk about the issues that concern me.

22. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Troy Denning has written another book a stand alone novel....Star Wars : Crucible ( released July 2013 )....set a year after Apocalypse & the timeline is 45ABY !!! it stars the big 3 & is set in another part of the universe & dosn't involve Grandkids....so what does this mean ? is Episode 7 being pushed out past 45ABY ??? .

23. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    truthfully this expanded universe stuff is starting to make my head hurt.

kainee and LANDO_ROCKS like this.
  24. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    No. -Darth Boba

25. Jobertus

Oct 31, 2012

I hope so, chris, I would love for Ben and Jaina to be major parts of the ST. The way the timeline of the EU is, the completely blank slate after 45 ABY, it sets up almost too perfectly for this to be the case. Whether TPTB at Lucasfilm see it this way is yet to be determined.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.