main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    ^^^ This.

2. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    That sarcasm just won't wok, i mean, do you know how much better that would be, if Ken Watanabe was in SW?

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I would go see it 57 times on opening day.

4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Oh, I completely agree with you! Ken Watanabe is great and I think he'd make a wonderful Jedi or just about anything else. He's brilliant in The Last Samurai which I caught for the first time on TV last night.

5. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    Ken Watanabe as an elder Jedi....can you imagine it!

6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    One of Luke's first class, maybe! That would be incredible!

7. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Nah, if he's a Jedi, he can't buy things. Such as airlines.

kainee and Darth_Kiryan like this.
  8. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    He's actually fake Plagueis, and through a bizaare turn of events it turns out he was covering for Qui Gon who was Plagueis this whole time!!

9. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    Makes sense, as he was fake! Ra's al Ghul in Batman begins

10. Corran1138

Corran1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2012
    I'm not sure if people realize that the new Legacy comic and the future Del Ray novels were in the works way before the Sequel Trilogy was announced. I highly doubt that these people were in the small group that was informed about the new movies. At this point, it doesn't seem that there is hope for a consistent continuity with the EU. I think that's both good and bad. I love the EU story and characters, having read just about all of the novels. I grew up with these characters. However, it will be good for the writers to have more freedom to expand the story. The legacy series puts some serious constraints on story-telling, which I for one have never liked.

I am hoping that they keep some of the best characters still. I would be happy to see Jacen and Jaina in a world where Jacen wasn't a Sith.

Varguitas likes this.
  11. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I've just worked it out Star Wars : Cruicible is the last aventure of the big 3 ( where the big 3 carry the story ) it will be a prelude to EP7 & EP7 will pick up not long after Cruicible at 45ABY where as unlike Cruicible the big 3 will take a backwards step to the new generation ( Ben , Jaina , Jag & Allana ) .

12. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
  13. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm very curious to see how the EU affects the ST.

kainee likes this.
  14. Varguitas

Varguitas Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 2012
    That's more wishful thinking than what is actually going to happen.

15. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    DOWN WITH THE EXPANDED UNIVERSE!!!

Sitara and Varguitas like this.
  16. Zabrak 2

Zabrak 2 Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 7, 2012
    Who knows what crap Disney will make .

Esg likes this.
  17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    "Uh we're actually gonna adapt stuff from the Star Trek books. It's much easier."

kainee likes this.
  18. Corran1138

Corran1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2012
    It's not going to happen. Del Ray had no knowledge of the films when this book was announced.

19. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    How very constructive of you. You and Alexrd should form a union.

Esg and CT-867-5309 like this.
  20. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I honestly don't want to be inflammatory here... I'm really trying to understand and abide by this policy, but can anyone tell me why we have to ignore the elephant in the room in regards to whether or not the EU will be honored in the new movies, which is one of the biggest questions that naturally arises in regards to the ST? Regardless of LFL's canon policy, I could pull numerous quotes from Lucas saying that he pays no attention to the EU, that it's a separate universe from the movies, and that he doesn't even know much of what's in there, so I'm just struggling to grasp why this subject is so verboten when it seems like a perfectly reasonable concern, and nobody I saw was getting particularly heated over it anyway. I hope this post doesn't get me in trouble, because I'm not usually one to make waves, but this whole thing is just strange to me and I'm genuinely curious about the reason behind it.

21. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    Keep dreaming dude.

22. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I don't even...

This thread is even more incomphrehensible than the previous EU thread.
    At least I knew what was going on there, this...I have no idea what I just read for five pages.

kainee and Amphimachus like this.
  23. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Ouch I murdered my phrasing in that last post. I have no idea how the word "regards" made it in there so many times.

Back on topic... What would I like to see from the EU in Episode VII? Nothing, preferably.

BonhillBhoy and eht13 like this.
  24. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I don't know that there really has been any effort to ignore the elephant in the room, Roachie. The forums erupted in discussion immediately; to many people, there just seemed no way that the EU as it is presently understood could survive what would be necessary on the part of the writers to properly create an ST that would engage a general audience who, in all likelihood, would not have read the EU and wouldn't be expected to understand why we attach significance to it; at the same time, a hell of a lot of fans spent good hard-earned money on the EU, in many cases over decades, in part on the expectation that this was the official story of these characters, and they feel that to invalidate the EU then invalidates all that time and money - some may think it perhaps even invalidates them. Those are the basics of the problem.

So the fact is, as you say, that it very much is a major question and a reasonable concern; it's not so much verboten as there's a general understanding that any discussion at this time would be pointless, because we don't know what's going to happen. There's no sign of a story yet that we can point to in a way that would add substance to a debate that currently has none. We only got the announcement just over a month ago, and the deal for Disney even to purchase LFL was only given the legal green light by the government yesterday, so we have no reason to expect any sign of what the story will be for some time; and until the possible becomes actual, it is only a distraction. Until we do know something, any discussion about the fate of the EU is all just so much sound and fury, signifying nothing.

For that matter, any such discussion inevitably leads down a rather predictable rathole: someone says they don't want to see the EU used in the ST; someone else asks why; the discussion immediately gets bogged down in arguments over creative decisions made in the EU that ultimately have nothing to do with the matter at hand; and in the end, we won't know anything more about the ST than we did when we started. We will probably know a hell of a lot about why posters on this forum either like or don't like Karen Traviss or Troy Denning, Timothy Zahn or Matthew Stoner; but none of them are Michael Arndt, and it's him we need to be discussing. For better or worse, we know what those authors bring to Star Wars; we have yet to see what Arndt will bring. The current crop of EU writers are the devil we already know, and in matters such as this, it's ultimately the devil you don't know who brings the real surprises.

kainee and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  25. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    But by that rationale any speculation at this time would be pointless so we might as well not be here at all. I get what you're saying about the futility of such a debate at this time though, and there may be some logic in that, but you're wrong that it isn't verboten. Just look at the first post in this thread. We're expressly not allowed to talk about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.