main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - Episode 5.11 - A Sunny Day In The Void - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Dec 5, 2012.

1. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I didn't like how slug-man seemed to come to respect the droids by the end of Secret Weapons, only for that to be forgotten in opening seconds of this episode... Only for him to regain a feeling of respect for WAC by the end... Which will probably be forgotten by the beginning of the next episode.

It would be one thing if these episodes were years apart. But they all would have been written around the same time for the same season, and there's still such blatant lack of continuity in Gascon's growth? No 50 First Dates homages.

Oh, and again. WAC sucks :p .

I didn't think the existentialism was particularly deep, and as someone else pointed out - it might not be the best thing to bring up in 22 minute episode for kids, because then you turn around and have to explain the concept through forced dialogue, and in the end I think that ends up with a weaker result than if they had just avoided the concept all together. You can tell a 22 minute story of a guy wandering aimlessly through the desert and giving up hope, without delving into how the droids and biological beings are similar/different. Meanwhile the four astromech droids just sort of go do their own thing arbitrarily with R2 going out of his way to be a jerk. I figure they were trying to draw a link to the beginning of ANH, but that made more sense than R2 deciding to just go straight and being awkwardly insistent upon it and ditching WAC and Gascon.

Order66Survivor likes this.
  2. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    Haha I'm all for George having fun with his train set but we only get 22 short episodes a year do we really need an examination of the inner life of a pit droid and a frog?

Order66Survivor likes this.
  3. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Theo333 I can see your point in that this was a weird episode, so it did not appeal to everyone, and could really leave folks cold before the break.

It is what it is though, GL doesn't really care as much about marketing, he just wanted to do an episode like this,and it happened to sit at this point in the season.

Speaking for myself, I like this episode more the more I think about it. The point of training vs. programming with Gascon and WAC tied in nicely to the Rex and Fives debate last season, i.e. are clones programmed like machines or are they living, thinking beings who can act with free will. Gascon reached the same end as Fives and crew who went off of the mission plan and "felt" their way to a solution intuitively. I like how this theme was repeated here which further ties the threads together

Seerow and Order66Survivor like this.
  4. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Two characters that - Filoni willing - we will never... ever... again see, rendering their journey mostly a pointless deviation from reoccurring characters. As much as I hated Secret Weapons, at least that felt like more of an R2 episode. While in this episode, R2 pretty much just gives the rest of the group the finger (or was he breaking the fourth wall? [face_thinking]). We are then left alone with one of the most annoying characters (IMO) and a little slug dude that needed to re-learn how to see eye-to-eye with the droids, since last week's lesson was apparently forgotten.

Dave Filoni: I can remember when George Lucas was pitching us the idea for A Sunny Day in the Void. It was such an ingenious idea that can really only come from "The Master." Really experimental stuff. The concept art that crossed my desk was just mind-blowing!​

[​IMG]

5. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I, uhm... liked it... I think.

I agree that it is interesting, if you have the right mindset for it. And have read the right things to prepare for it. It wasn't boring. It was just, like, way existential, man. Far out!

Total tone change from last week. We'll see how far the pendulum swings next time.

Seerow likes this.
  6. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It was very enjoyable. Mainly thanks to Stephen Stanton's Gascon and his losing of his mind. Watching the animation on Gascon and listening to his dialogue was awesome.

And Abafar turned out to be an awesome place. Really alien...
    The moment they found the other wreck was quite nice as a foreshadow what could happen to them.
    And those birds - SO JURASSIC PARK! I LOVE JURASSIC PARK!

The lines from the WAC when Gascon was suicidal were priceless.

This was basically Gascon's episode, he was the star!

Maybe I am just a sucker for "Desert Island" stories.

Seerow and rumblewagon like this.
  7. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    this episode was......weird it was not bad and it was not good either i give it 5 / 10

8. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I really enjoyed Artoo in this episode. From fixing the fighter, to recovering the mission objective, to flaunting the fact he had the device. Also glad he fought back against WAC's attempts to take over. WAC was slightly better this time. I found his humor pretty dark this time especially referring to Gascon's death.

That said, this episode served no significant purpose and could easily have been forgotten or made a part of another episode. So I wasn't pleased to see them wander around for 20 minutes and accomplish basically nothing.

9. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    I don't officially condone but...

Take some drugs... Then watch.

Yodaminch, the purpose of the episode was not to propel the story but to develop characters and themes.

Order66Survivor and cwustudent like this.
  10. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    I never thought I'd say it, but that episode was even more boring and pointless than Corruption. What a waste of time. Maybe it would've been a little better if there had been some actual action or the characters were interesting, but nope, just six guys I couldn't care less about arguing with each other and trekking across a featureless white landscape.

I give it a 3/10, and only because of the comet part in the beginning. That was awesome.

Order66Survivor, Esg and TaradosGon like this.
  11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Glad i'm not the only one to notice that homage :)

12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Maybe Gascon has a bad memory :p

13. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Indeed! So many wonderful moments...

Darth Vader likes this.
  14. Cary_the_Brave

Cary_the_Brave Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 5, 2012
    When I first read the title, I thought it was sarcastic, but now it is a sunny day...

15. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
  16. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    What was developed exactly? Didn't WAC and Gascon already come to an understanding in the previous episode? And, it seemed like they actually reverted from the previous episode just so they could 'develop' by the end of this one. That's a whole lot of regression and not much growth in my opinion.

17. Cary_the_Brave

Cary_the_Brave Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 5, 2012
    People can go crazy in TCW.

18. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I liked this episode a lot! Like Hunt for Ziro, I think the "weirdness" factor worked in its favor. I also thought that it did a good job of examining life for a 22-minute episode. It fit in with the central theme of the Force: "Trust your instincts".

Another thing I liked was the "training" vs. "programming" debate. Is there a difference? Could we survive life without them? Those questions seem to be ongoing themes in this show.

19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Why would they call it a Sunny Day in the Void if there is no Sun [face_laugh]

Order66Survivor and Zabrak 2 like this.
  20. Darth Trevius

Darth Trevius Jedi Master star 1

Nov 15, 2012
    i don't usually notice the blue clone wars title at the beginning .. i think someone mentioned before that the blue meant something special .. george lucas must have taken some pretty heavy shrooms to come up with this doozy .. and i really can't understand the whole goofy droids for kids theme playing against all these super heavy concepts and really pretty intense language and dialog .. WAC was basically telling the frog to go kill himself .. jeesh .. for me it seemed like some kind of subliminal mind manipulation intended for the youngest of generations .. sort of a programming .. this was implied in the storyline as well .. i wondered if they were dead and the frog was in transit or if they were alive .. it seemed like frogs thoughts were affecting the reality on essentially a blank canvas of a world .. which could imply he is dead and transitioning to another existance .. the closing pan out showing the shapes of the villages looked like crop circles .. like when crop circles are trying to show a specific geometric language that when decifered ends up being a dna code or some kind of scientific equation that relates to the shape of the universe or vibrational manipulations or whatever other future concept we are now bringing to reality these days .. i really really liked the droid scene with the comets and the droids all hanging on to each other ... i don't mind the droids getting some time but this episode left me wondering why this is being geared towards kids at all

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  21. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    I wondered that too, when I watched it again. [face_thinking]

22. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    what a waste of time.

23. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Was very shocked about the droid telling the guy he should've killed himself (or to that effect).

24. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    I see where you might say that... But to me it's more realistic that when the going gets tough, Gascon would revert back to his old habits and preconceptions.

I mean, wouldn't you say that people (heh) are far more likely to remain stuck in their set ways rather than change overnight? It takes far more severe and profound circumstances to impact real change. Maybe Gascon's crisis in the void has finally had an impact on him...

25. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    Shouldn't this be a debate the clones and Jedi talk about rather than Michael Bay characters? Instincts are relevant to Jedi all the time because they have a constant disembodied Eastern mysticism presence alerting them to danger and sensitive emotional events. And we all know how the clones were made loyal to the Republic.

My sole consolation is Colonel Frog dunking his head into undoubtedly filthy water contaminated with dust and bird feces.