main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Understanding the Fan Dynamics of Star Wars Going Into the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Kyris Cavisek, Dec 11, 2012.

?

What category do you fall in?

1. 1/2. Original Trilogy Fan/Remastered Fan

79.1%
  2. 3. Prequel Trilogy Fan

34.9%
  3. 4. EU Fan

27.9%
  4. 5. TCW Fan

16.3%
  5. 6. Random Movie Goer (I don't like Star Wars, I don't know why I am here)

2.3%
  6. 7. Hearththrobber (I will sit through a galactic epic if it means I get to see a half naked man)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    As I sit and watch the TCW fans on the message boards call for Ashoka their favorite Star Wars character to be in Episode 7, and people argue over the Sith's survival. I think we all need to be realistic about what Disney intends to give us, a gift to appease everyone. Because if it isn't good, I am not going to see it weekly until it comes out on DVD, and neither will you. Not to mention, regular movie goers won't be enthused to see it. So here is a realistic although generalized break down of fans:

1. The Original Fans: Saw Star Wars when it first came out. They are loyal to the Original Trilogy. Not big fans of the Prequel Trilogy.

2. The Remastered Fans: The fans who were to young to have seen the Original Trilogy in Theaters but saw Lucas's edited versions. A Little more open to the Prequel Trilogy.

3. The Prequel Trilogy Fans: The fans who saw The Phantom Menace first, they are loyal to Anakin and Obi Wan, see the OT as a terrible because Anakin went bad.

4. The EU fans: Have religiously followed the goings on of the Star Wars galaxy beyond Episode 6, and believe that to be the TRUTH

5. The Clone War fans: First introduced to Star Wars through a CGI television show, average age of this fan is probaly around 8. Their voices are largely unheard on the boards, however, they will also be the easiest to please as they will recognize lightsabers.

6. The regular action flick movie goer: Wants fights, space fights, lightsaber fights, shoot outs, but not Michael Bay level. They still want plot as well.

7. Teen Heart Throb Follower: Will go see anything with young male actor (X) in it.

These fans each want something different from the Sequel Trilogy
    1. Original Trilogy Fans: A Continuation of the Original Cast, Possibly in support roles to the next generation's protagonist

2. Remaster Fans: Same as OT fans however more open to new generation, Prequel Trilogy species, ect...

3. Prequel Trilogy fans: Want Young Obi Wan and Mace Windu to pop up randomly. Look for a connection as to how Ep 7 can be a sequel to 3 instead of 6.

4. EU Fans: Want the EU kept in tact and possibly included, most wanted inclusions? the Skywalker Solo kids. (I as a Corran Horn fan, want at least the Corellian Jedi to cameo)

5. Clone War fans: Most will be thrilled with seeing Star Wars in theaters, however many will want familiar characters, beings that Obi Wan and Anakin are dead, that leaves Ashoka or Rex. Trying to find a way to get Anakin's Padawan into EP 7. Also Mortis fans want that included

6. Give them spaceships and lightsabers and they will come

7. Accept that the male lead will have his shirt off at least once, for no reason.

Inevitably the sequel trilogy will spawn more fans... ones who are loyal to the new protagonists and like 7,8, and 9 more than 1-6.

But what can we predict will be included to draw that fan?
    1/2. OT/Remastered: Return of the Big 3, droids, chewie, actual sets as opposed to special effects

3. PT: Species, Double Bladed Lightsabers, Fighting Styles, Possible Holovids of Obiwan and Mace and Yoda

4. EU fans: Nothing is guarentteed but New Generation of Skywalker or Solo leads would be awesome. Maybe include some EU Jedi in Luke's new order. Try to keep the EU in tact. There are also people who only play games or only read comics.

5. TCW fans: Might get Ashoka, Probably nothing, might get a new tv show to lead them into 7 and get them on board.

6. Give them lightsabers and spaceships (duh)

7. Get ready for Liam Hemsworth or whoever to be Skywalker Generation 3

I realize you may fall into different categories, however those categories are GENERALIZATIONS. You can like The OT, the PT, but HATE the EU and TCWs. Everyone is a combination of these above.

Please give me your opinions, I ask that you SUSPEND what YOU WANT, and think about what DISNEY WILL GIVE to get MONEY. Do not try to justify your out there theory, rather be realistic with your prediction. Thank you!

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Where is the option for people who were fans because of the original releases of the OT and somehow like the PT just the same...? Your list is broken.

3. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Editted for your pleasure

4. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Oh, you class act, you!

5. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    LOL Nice edit, I seriously wonder though the average age of TCWs fan who is arguing so hard for her to show up 4 and a half episodes later.

6. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    "Nice edit"? I didn't edit anything.

7. Ron Fett

Ron Fett Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    I was just about to say that. I would have fallen between that option and OP's number 4. Also, I think it's fair to say that Disney will want a mixture of everything. Disney knows how to make money, that means they are looking into every scenario possible and figuring out what works. The biggest money maker would definitely be featuring the OT cast in some way, but they also have to think about the general audience who will be seeing Episode 7. They aren't necessarily followers of Star Wars, but will expect something great.

8. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Well as a relatively casual EU reader (I read Zahn, the Jedi Academy Books, and X-wing series... and did read some of the NJO) I think that certain well established and entrenched characters and relationships from the EU are more likely to appear or be referenced while I do not expect much of the EU's plot and events to be taken as gospel (I would bet money we still have a New Republic). I would not be surprised to see Mara Jade Skywalker on the council despite her death in one EU arc, or both Solo twins having a role in the films. I actually expect Ben Skywalker to be the protagonist, but how much of his background will be retained is anyone's guess.

For the OT and Special Edition fans I would expect the appearance of more practical effects then the PT and more use of sets and costumes in the production. I would also expect that they would call upon the big three to lend star power as well as connect to the Original Trilogy. I would not be surprised at Chewie making an appearance despite being killed in the EU (GL has already brought people back in TCW so that's no stretch).

For the PT fans I would expect Ewan McGregor to possibly appear as a ghost or hologram. I also expect much more PT like action sequences with active use of high speed lightsaber duels and force powers.

For the EU fan I would expect cameos by major names in the EU without a direct connection to the Skywalker family (Corran Horn, Kyle Katarn, and so forth). I would also expect active use of EU figures that have direct connections to the Skywalkers and Solos especially those that are family members (Mara Jade, Ben, Jacen, and Jaina).

For the TCW fans... how about going to a major hot spot from the Clone Wars? I don't expect actual characters from TCW to appear but perhaps we could see a mandalorian insurrection similar to death watch, or a new female lead with a style akin to Ashoka (perhaps as a new romantic interest?)

For the action fan... action, large scale explosions in space, lightsaber fights, and so forth.

For the teen girls... a 'cute' or 'hot' actor for the male lead... with an actual romance that isn't written like Anakin Skywalker's!

Julius Vernon likes this.
  9. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Empire was released in the year I was born (I think), but I grew up playing with the toys, reading the books/comics, watching the tv repeats of the films, Droids and Ewoks cartoons, etc. I was a teen by the remasters. I love the OT and the PT, hate much of the EU (with a few notable exceptions), love TCW. I don't fit in your list either.

All fans generalise everything all the time.

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  10. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I realize you may fall into different categories, however those categories are GENERALIZATIONS. You can like The OT, the PT, but HATE the EU and TCWs. Everyone is a combination of these above.

Check it out, its up there. Added a poll so you can vote for ALL of your fandoms...

11. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't really care what they give me as long as it has a great story and great memorable characters. I grew up during the Special Edition Era and love the OT, the PT, can take TCW in small doses, and I'm pretty certain I'll love the ST as well. I'm pretty easy to please!

Pro Scoundrel and V-2 like this.
  12. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    It continued to say "that argue about Ashoka appearing EP 7", however, I editted my comment for your pleasure. I do get that it sounded odd

13. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Is fan segregation the sole purpose of this thread?

Take that aspect out, and you have just another generic prediction thread.

Years from now people will look back at this thread as a sad moment in this forum's past.

Esg likes this.
  14. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    It is not to segregate anyone, it is to understand the dynamics that make up the Star Wars fan community. We are all one big happy Star Wars family. Disney will try to appease everyone, it is an attempt to try to predict what Santa will bring everyone.

15. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm a Star Wars fan. :)

16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I am also missing the option to simply say "all Episodes of the Saga". Even if we can select OT and PT, that is not really the same thing since those options are presented as being against each other in the descriptions in the OP.

BTW... sad yes, but these polls that promote fan segregation aren't at all new.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    So it's another prediction thread?

While at the same time generalizing groups of fans by trying to put them into categories.

As you wish.

Esg and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  18. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Oh, I got what you were saying now. Sorry.

19. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    If you do not wish to praticipate, don't. I would ask that no one BASH any other part of Star Wars. This thread is designed for the betterment of the community as a whole. For me as an EU fan, to say I wouldn't be upset if they destroyed portions of the EU SO LONG AS the EU was remade with the best parts being brought back. People are so hardliner one way or another. I know Stellar love the EU up until the Del Rey days then wants it destoryed, I can respect that. However there are people who hate the EU so much they want it ripped apart... I understand there are some stinkers in the EU out there. But there are some gems, too. If you generalize it, it is probably all so-so.

20. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Yes, and no. I can generalize Star Wars as a bunch of people with light swords who fight, and people who have red lightsabers don't like people with green or blue lightsabers, and there are talking frogs and growling dogs that people understand. From a distant point of view that is right. I am simply breaking it down looking deeper into the fanbase and what they want to realistically see.

21. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I am an OT fan who enjoyed the PT, enjoys much of the EU (though some is really bad), enjoys TCW very much (and really likes the Holiday Special cartoon).

With that background:
    -I want to see the OT continued forward naturally to the next generation.
    -I want some PT quality sound and action (though not all of it is as good as I would have liked).
    -I want EU preserved as much as possible while maintaining a good story (it doesn't have to be dogmatic adherence, but I think it's silly to just wipe it all out).
    -For TCW, I wouldn't mind Mandalorians, but if they try to connect these new films to the TCW cheaply I will be disappointed.
    -In the end I want a movie-going experience. I want it to be great. It doesn't have to be ANH or ESB great, but it has to be greater than Harry Potter or almost all comic book hero films. I hope all 3 are at least as great as ROTJ and ROTS.

Rogue_1138 and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  22. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Do you realise that it looks like you're bashing certain fans and aspects of SW in your original post?

23. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I completely agree to include the lack of dogmatic adherence ( EU fans will moan but in the end they will retcon like crazy). I am excited for new characters, you know the random junk dealer, bounty hunter, farmer, diner owner, ect... But I would LOVE a random human with a graying brown beard and a lightsaber and blaster from his hip. I would see that and be like LOOK KYLE KATARN!

TreborSabreon and Julius Vernon like this.
  24. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    This is true, I apologize. Keep bashing to appropriate levels... ;)

25. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I totally get what you're trying to say, but I think that the hardliners are fewer than you think. I think the average fan likes most aspects of Star Wars to differing degrees.

Julius Vernon and V-2 like this.