main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Willow News-EU, Sequels, everything

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by jedi_jra, Nov 24, 2012.

1. jedi_jra

jedi_jra Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2011
    Disney has been trying to find it's own 'Lord of the Rings' like franchise ever since the films proved to be massive hits.

With Disney's purchase of Lucasfilm, could they have an interest in the world of Willow? The characters and world of Willow is rich with untapped potential. I thought the NES game explored this world as well as an 8-bit game could, but the Shadow War Chronicles could give Disney the opportunity to take an unknown franchise, and make it their own.

Chronicles of Narnia was too big and too well known, Disney coudn't brand it the way they had hoped. The Shadow War Chronicles would need impressive screenplays with great writers to develop the the world of Willow, but it could be the franchise they are looking for.

With the number of films that Lucasfilm is hoping to make now that they've been acquired by Disney, this must be in consideration... Especially since the lead character is a teenage girl... sounds like Disney to me!

From Willow Wiki:
    Lucas outlined the Chronicles of the Shadow War trilogy to follow the film and hired comic book writer/novelist Chris Claremont to adapt them into a series of books. They take place about fifteen years after the original film and feature the now teenage Elora Danan as the central character.

Worthy of discussion? Could Disney have Shadow War films on their mind? Or is this wishful thinking of a Willow fan...

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  2. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    I don't have anything to add except that I would love to see more Willow

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  3. zodiac brave

zodiac brave Jedi Youngling

Dec 11, 2012
    this would be great and a perfect way for disney to have something comparable to the hobbit trilogy.

4. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    The Shadow War trilogy isn't.....very good. It has to do with different worlds/futures, most of the world has been destoried etc....

I do like the Willow world and setting though.

Instead of trying to compete with Lord of the Rings (and lets be honest, Willow is nowhere near as big or popular or epic or well know as Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit) which will most likely only bring unfavorable comparisons, a Willow/Elora cartoon that deals with Elora as she grows up or is grown up. They can establish who Elora is a character, flush out the world more, and if the show is popular enough, spin more movies out of that.

I would either forget the Shadow War existed or take the outline and do it better, and continue Willow in a different way

5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    It'd be ironic, as the only real reason Willow even exists is because the Tolkien estate said no to George adapting The Hobbit.

I wonder if they feel differently now as New Line and Jackson bludgeon a 300-page children's novel into a 9-hour trilogy with a barely average "all critics" review.

JUKE-SKYWALKER likes this.
  6. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    Just in time for the 25th anniversary! (Roger Rabbit releases to blu-ray the same day, btw)

The movie looks to have a new transfer, and will have new special features including on set footage and deleted scenes. The cover art is also new. I'll admit, the trailer and the cover really have a Hobbit vibe... but I don't blame FOX Home Entertainment and Lucasfilm for borrowing a bit of the Hobbit style. Hey, if it moves more copies of the blu-ray, I'm all for it!

[​IMG]

7. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Ha. Gotta love the paradoxical nature of the situation. Willow began as a semi-shameless LOTR/Star Wars mash-up, and yet it now feels like a non-commercialized passion project given not only the Hobbit film series, but the whole current franchise scene as a whole.

Still, I'd love it if one of Lucas's last directorial releases is a smaller-scale (compared to Star Wars) Willow sequel.

JUKE-SKYWALKER and DarthBoba like this.
  8. Palpmobile

Palpmobile Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2012
    This reminds me that i have to watch Willow. If i watched Battle Beyond the Stars...

It cannot be that bad.

9. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    It's fun enough. F/X haven't aged too well, though.

10. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Willow came out in a very interesting time for fx in movies. Right at the end of optical fx and the beginning of digital.

11. The other Cleopatra's

The other Cleopatra's Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2013
  12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I saw this one as well. The restoration looks great.

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  13. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Finally!

14. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Well, I'm finally getting a Blu-Ray!!

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  15. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I love this trilogy. I've read it 3 times. It's brilliant & some of GL's best world building. The writing is average for the genre - mainstream "high/epic fantasy", a little disjointed in places. But there's a whole lot of depth, some very strong characters, and a completely unique world.

16. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    If Disney were to try and launch a new franchise based on the world Lucas created for Willow, i think they'd be best served by remaking Willow itself and then giving screenwriters a chance to craft original stories inspired by Lucas' and Chris Claremont's novels for sequels to the remake.

17. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Never watched Willow. Going to have to check it out.

18. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    It's an fun movie, especially when you consider it's Lucas' politely obscene gesture to the Tolkien estate for not letting him adapt The Hobbit.

19. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 1999
  20. Boba Frett

Oct 21, 1999
  21. Boba Frett

Oct 21, 1999
    my kind of scum likes this.
  22. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    God I hope so.

Lord Optimus likes this.
  23. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Good news!

24. Lord Optimus

Lord Optimus Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 30, 2011
  25. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    The script is most likely a fake, but if it were real I say go for it!