main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Walmart & Tunick... finito!

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

Yesterday afternoon, with about 10 minutes to go in my shift, I was called into an office & informed that I was being fired. To keep a long & uninteresting story short: Had an issue last week that I was talked to about (scanned merchandise out of a bin that I couldn't find, after look for this bin for many minutes ), and figured that was that until yesterday (obviously the powers to be at my store have been planning on this all week... they said that with my other warnings this year (unrelated issues), they "had to do their job here" by letting me go). Things went cordially (I didn't cuss anyone out or do anything ridiculous), and aside from the payout payment/check that I received, I also did receive my normal paycheck this week (today is pay day), which included a $360+ holiday bonus). I technically have one last appeal to the store manager (according to one of the powers to be), but I highly doubt that would go through & work because my firing was approved by the top shift manager at my former store (2nd in command to the store manager), so I don't think he would want me back. I called today, found out he wasn't there, so I plan on calling tomorrow & perhaps set that up.

Regardless of any stress, worry & failed job interviews to come, this is still a healthy thing for me in many ways, because I had finally reached a mental breaking point at that store after little over 8 years. Admittingly it will take a bit get used to not doing my normal work routing Sunday-Thursday (since I'm so used to that), but alas I'll get used to that. I'm no fool, obviously with whatever job I get next, there will always be stress, schmuckholes to deal with, grumpy days... but for this particular set of drama, stress & ****** at my former Walmart store, the time was right (even if it wasn't the way I had planned on leaving) to be done with that.

2. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Don't let the schmuckholes get you down. Bounce back! You'll come out of this stronger than ever.

p.s.- maybe you should red-out your address.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    OH GOD THE MAYANS WERE RIGHT

But seriously dude, sorry to hear that. I hope the job hunt goes well.

4. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    WMINAGAIUTB.

5. Pat_Healy

Pat_Healy Jedi Master star 1

Feb 3, 2005
    Get a job at Target. I hear they have hot cashiers.

6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Onwards and upwards!

DarthTunick likes this.
  7. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Truly the Apocalypse is upon us. But time to move on I guess. Hang in there Tunick.

DarthTunick likes this.
  8. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Hopefully this leads to something better man. You've been talking about it for forever. Trim the beard and find something that doesn't make you want to bash your head in.

9. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Try Costco. In honor of the Mayan doomsday, I recently tried one of their 72 hour emergency food supply buckets. With a little effort, the whole thing really can be polished off in under 36 hours. Delicious.

Thuro, Ender Sai and Pat_Healy like this.
  10. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
  11. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    All said, the timing is pretty craptastic. Who the hell fires someone 5 days before Christmas?

Best of luck, dude. And you're absolutely right. In the end, this will be good for you.

12. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    [​IMG]

I'm....so sorry, Armen....

Havac and Billy_Dee_Binks like this.
  13. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    It looks like everybody's threads are tying up neatly before the Mayans/Unicron/Whatever destroys us all.

Seriously though, even though it's for the best, it still sucks that this happened before Christmas.

Grinches

Souderwan likes this.
  14. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    That sucks/Awesome.

Start looking for a job ASAP. Don't become an unemployed depressed couch potato. Believe me: happens to the best of us.

Firing people before major holidays is the norm in many places, because the employee is technically cheery and less prone to drama. Same with firing people on Fridays. Wal-Mart being kind of Hell on Earth (if Satan was a neolib), I'm going to assume they are one of those places.

15. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Good riddance... I think this was fate stepping in and giving you a kick in the ass. You'll find something better... just take the next week to try to enjoy the holiday (even though you hate it), and move on.

Also, file for unemployment.
    http://www.edd.ca.gov/unemployment/filing_a_claim.htm

16. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Did your WM Separation Notice come enveloped with one of these?

[​IMG]

No wait, that's a suppository. Either way, welcome to the real word!
    Surely a man of your wits can find a more uplifting job.

DarthTunick likes this.
  17. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    JoinTheSchwarz, harpuah: Right after Christmas (either sometime next week or New Year's week), I will be aggressively searching (and updating my resume on Monster.com, and I plan to create a profile on snagajob.com) for jobs here in the Valley. I would hope to find work at a warehouse, but obviously won't limit myself to those options. And Kristie, I do plan/will file for unemployment.

18. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Work in a warehouse. That's what I do.

19. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Congrats, Tunick.

Once you get a new job make sure to stop in however briefly at Walmart and soak up that 'Thank ****ing god I don't work here anymore' feeling.

Good luck with the job hunt.

20. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I wish I could say I feel bad, but I too think this is good for you. I hope you land on your feet at a place that makes you far happier!!!

DarthTunick likes this.
  21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    staples center concessions guy. make it happen, tunes.

22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I think I would take that experience to Meijers if you have one near and go for the overnight shift since they pay extra for it.

23. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Sorry about the lack of employment, but at the same time glad to hear you finally got out of there.

DarthTunick likes this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Sorry for the circumstances of it but I am glad you're getting out of there. Good luck on the job search.

DarthTunick likes this.
  25. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    They don't have Meijers out in California, although I do agree with the sentiment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.