main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars #1: In the Shadow of Yavin, Part 1 (of 6, not 3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Manisphere, Oct 19, 2012.

1. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Commander Demmings has gone missing as well.

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    He apparently became Moff of the Xappyh sector or at least Imperial representative to Tiss'sharl

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    RE: Preview -- Vader's omission of "my" in "What is thy bidding, master" irritates me profoundly. I know it's a silly thing to be irritated by, though. :p

Zorrixor likes this.
  4. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Demmings and Wermis were probably Force choked by Vader off-screen. :)

5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Ulicus and Gorefiend like this.
  6. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    I'm rather happy to see that he knows about Wedge's background. Nice.

Surprising to hear that Endor will be involved, though...

7. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    The Empire apparently set up the building site for the second Death Star pretty quickly after the first one got destroyed.

8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    How Vader learns the pilot is Luke Skywalker is gonna become the new Death Star plans, isn't it? :p [face_laugh]

"Well, he learnt his first name from this guy, the second syllable of his last name from this guy, and the first syllable of his last name from this guy!"

Zorrixor and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  9. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Very interesting to see Mon Mothma so soon after ANH, which I don't believe we've seen before. Nice continuity that she's supposed to be with the High Command on the ever moving Fleet.
    [​IMG]

10. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Thanks for posting the new artwork - looks amazing! Really looking forward to this series - this seems like it may be an homage to the old Marvel SW comics, to some extent...

11. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Wait I thought this series was only supposed to acknowledge ANH? Why is Mon Mothma showing up now?

12. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    The whole "only acknowledge ANH" thing isn't meant to be taken literally, it's just meant as a direct sequel.

On that thought, Brian Wood mentions in the interview that was posted that he's read "a few dozen" of the novels. Add that to the fact that he is using the Atlas, and I think some of the early continuity fears will prove to be unfounded.

Zeta1127 and Esg like this.
  13. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Which isn’t really news, because Randy and Wood already said exactly that when the series was announced. :p

14. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I believe the "dozens of novels" at least is new. I remember upon the series announcement Wood was mentioned as being unfamiliar with the EU.

15. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Randy just mentioned he is “not steeped in the minutiae” (and who is with so much stuff out there) though more than willing to do his research :) him having read a lot of the stuff, plus also referencing it in interviews and the previews we have already seen just reinforced that he clearly is familiar with the EU.

16. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Also, from a Robot 6 interview:

"And I should point out there’s no rebooting or Ultimatizing happening here — nothing’s changing in the universe, in the existing stories, and everyone’s in-character. I’m writing some new stories that slot into the space between A New Hope and Empire, leaving everything around it intact."

Oh, and:

"For the rare cases when you do need to research for your Star Wars book, what are your go-to reference sources?

Wookieepedia! I love saying that word. I also have a Star Wars atlas, full of maps of the universe, which is sometimes helpful. My editors as well, of course."

Gorefiend likes this.
  17. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Oh that's even less interesting than I thought. Well whatever.

18. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    What happened to the Tarkin? Shouldn't the Empire be busy constructing that?

19. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    They were already building that as it was originally a test bed for the 2 Eclipse class vessels, which were also already under construction before Death Star 1 blew p.

General Immodet likes this.
  20. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Not...quite the answer I'd have been hoping for.

RC-1991 and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  21. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    While I know it pains Jello, having Mon Mothma as a principle character in this series is a GOOD thing. Unlike Wedge or Ackbar, Mon Mothma has barely been expanded on. I want to see more of her and what strains leading the Rebellion placed on her.

I am also digging the BSG vibe. A homeless Rebel Navy wandering the galaxy, hotshot fighter pilots- THIS is my kind of Star Wars.

--Adm. Nick

Zeta1127, JackG, cdgodin and 2 others like this.
  22. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Wouldn't it be nice to see Tarkin's funeral?

23. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, he already had his cremation, so it'd be more like a celebration of his life than an actual funeral.

:p

24. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Perhaps Daala can give the Eulogy. Y'know, the parts she remembers.

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In Essential Guide to Warfare, the very first stages actually take place before the Battle of Yavin- which fits with Zahn's short story where a prototype component of its superlaser was stolen just prior to ANH- in Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina.

In Choices of One, set 9 months after ANH, it already looks like a skeletal half-sphere.