main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga If Anakin was created from Plagueis's midichlorian, why is he human?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Teaviex Cue, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teaviex Cue

Teaviex Cue Jedi Padawan

Dec 25, 2012
    Let's say here, "Father Plagueis" theory is correct.
    If so, wouldn't Anakin share physical features with him?
    Or did Plagueis have the ability to decide how the creature he creates look like?
    Then why did he want Anakin to be a human? Was it something totally random?

Maybe a silly question for u experts, but I'll be glad to hear your opinion.

2. CaptainRegor

CaptainRegor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2012
    I'd say that if that theory is correct it is because that the mother is female and you know it isn't the normal way of getting a child so I'd think that Plagueis would have a lot less influence over "natural selection." I think Plagueis would have more like what DNA scientist can change in an unborn today.

Teaviex Cue likes this.
  3. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    No actual DNA was being shared. Plagueis would have wanted to create a being which was well off in the galaxy. Humans have often been shown to have the upper hand in the Star Wars Universe. Now, why he would have the kid be a slave is beyond me...

Dak Oolron and Teaviex Cue like this.
  4. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Plagueis didn't create Anakin, the Force did (via midi-chlorians). So this conversation is moot.

5. Joe

Dec 25, 2012
    Well, Darth Plagueis implies Anakin was the 'reaction' to the meddling of Plagueis and Sidious in the balance of the Force. So, technically Plagueis is responsible for Anakin's creation.

6. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Implies? So what does this mean? That because Plagueis was indirectly responsible for Anakin's creation, Anakin was "destined" to become evil?

7. Teaviex Cue

Teaviex Cue Jedi Padawan

Dec 25, 2012
    I don't think Anakin was destined to be evil...
    He came back to the light after all.
    So I think if Sidious didn't bother him by telling stories, he would have never turned bad.

8. Joe

Dec 25, 2012
    Not at all. I merely was responding to a post claiming this topic was pointless because the Force created Anakin by noting Plagieus was indirectly responsible for Anakin's creation. I do not believe Anakin was naturally evil, quite the opposite - I feel he was inclined towards the light.

9. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    Wait I thought that Anakin was created by the Force because of Plagueis and Sidious' meddling so deep in the Force. I thought it was like the two were trying so hard to change midichlorians and stuff that the Force fought back and created a being, Anakin, out of the Force. That's why Shmi had no husband when she got pregnant.

So it wasn't Plagueis or Sidious...it was the Force retaliating to their experiments.

10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    This is what Plagueis himself believes in the Plagueis novel. Also, if Plagueis DID create Anakin, he wouldn't necessarily use his own genes.

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I always go way, way simpler. Palps tells Anakin that his master "could use the midicholrians to create life" and it doesn't elaborate on it any further. It's all up to the audience at that point. Therefore, Sidious created Anakin so he's his daddy! Which makes the ROTJ finale a confrontation between Grandfather, Son, Grandson. Pretty messed up, eh?

12. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Well if Plageuis "created" Anakin then Sidious isn't really the grandfather is he?

13. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000

Where's that rage going to come from if he grows up normal? Anakin had the deck stacked against him from birth.

Also, the OP phrased this is in a "let's speculate about if X is correct". Please conduct the thread that way-no arguments about whether or not Sidious was lying, please. That's what we have the prequel forum for. :p

King Terak likes this.
  14. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Another question regarding Anakin.
    If the midis did cause Shmi to become pregnant, how can Anakin be male?
    Human females have two X-chromosomes and males have one X and one Y. So a human female lacks the Y-chromosome that is required for the baby to become male.
    So if the midis somehow caused one of her ovums to be fertilized and grow into a baby. The gender should have been female and the baby would have been a genetic duplicate of Shmi.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

15. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    Firstly, Plagueis didn't create Anakin. Plagueis tried without success to create life by manipulating midichlorians, and then the Force created Anakin in a way as a revenge and to stop the Sith Lords.

Anyway, the real reason why Anakin is a human is because he is Luke's father. But imaging that SW is real, then to be fair why Anakin was a human male seems to be more as a random choice of the Force than anything else.

16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Plagueis was successful in creating non-Force-sensitive life.

17. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Well if Plagueis did make Anakin himself through the force somehow then he probably was always destined to be evil after all.

Interesting topic.

18. kainee

kainee Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 10, 2012
    It makes sense to me the way it works out. Mostly because I am of the thought that midichlorians are not the Force but simply a mechanism of it-- if you want to be philosophical about it, I would say the way the brain is acknowledged to be the biological source of consciousness but people still believe in a soul that transcends matter. So, for me, if Darth Plagueis angered the Force by attempting to create life through the manipulation of midichlorians, it is entirely possible for the Force itself to create life in Shmi by manipulating her midichlorians (remember, even if she's not Force sensitive, all life has midichlorians-- it's only having a critical mass of them that makes you a Force sensitive). Thematically, it reads like the Force acting as a malevolent genie-- granting the letter of Darth Plagueis' wish but not the spirit of it.

As to why Anakin is human, I would infer that since humans are the most populous race in the Star Wars galaxy, it was likely easiest to create a human Chosen One. As to why Shmi Skywalker got chosen to be the mother, I'm not sure but I like that there's a mystery behind this and I hope it's one of the mysteries that remain unsolved since I don't think any explanations would be satisfactory enough.

19. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    This question really, really calls for Philosoraptor.

[​IMG]

20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    No.

Being made "through the Force" does not predestine someone to evil. Anakin just had a lot of midichlorians. Yoda apparently had the next highest count among the Jedi, and he wasn't destined to be evil.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  21. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I can't agree with this assessment. I don't think that any of the characters were inclined toward the "dark or light". I believe that all characters had a 50-50 chance of going one way or the other. I feel that Anakin symbolized this ambiguity in all of the characters.

22. kainee

kainee Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 10, 2012
    I feel the same way. I think it was a deliberate choice on the production crew's part when they dressed Luke in black. With all the similarities they were taking pains to point out between Luke and Vader in order to highlight the key differences that ended up Luke's idealism triumphing in the end, I'd definitely agree that there is always the possibility a character could fall to the Dark side. Really, Anakin even turning to the Dark side was a perfect storm of the external factors exacerbating the character flaws he had giving Palpatine the perfect opportunity to recruit him. I can easily foresee a situation where Anakin wouldn't fall but that would include the Jedi not failing as an Order. It's possible that this isn't the official position and maybe it's my worldview encroaching on what's the canonical position but I tend to believe there's capacity for evil in anyone, it's just a matter of if that capacity ever gets tested. I think a person who had opportunity to do evil and choosing not to do evil is morally stronger than someone who does good because they were never tempted or given the choice not to.

23. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    About as close as we get to a canon position is the ROTS novel saying that Mace has a vision showing him that anything could happen with Anakin and Palpatine-anything at all.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Plagueis was so good at science experiments, he made sperm with Y-chromosomes in test tubes and Force-floated them into Shmi's fallopian tubes.

The whole "Chosen One" prophecy is by far my least favorite part of the story, and I definitely don't think Anakin was "destined" to do a damn thing, but in answer to the thread topic: as others have said, according to the Plagueis novel, Plagueis didn't deliberately set out to create Anakin. He was playing god in that fancy science lab of his, and the Force fought back by creating life on its own in the form of Anakin.

25. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Well my questions was made with the assumption that the midis were responsible. The midis in Shmi's body have only her genetic material to work with, they don't have a science lab.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.