main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Episode 7 Special effects: What do you expect/hope for?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Lee_, Nov 18, 2012.

1. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I'd love a Star Wars musical. Especially the prequels. You can tell Palpatine just wants to sing his lines.

2. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    here,here =D=

3. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I can practically hear Anakin's solo about sand.

DarthBoba likes this.
  4. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I want it to look great, but fit in with the other films..........

5. Doug625

Doug625 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2012
    Looks like a video game to me

DarthSpaced and Alderaan Luke like this.
  6. THX_1138biggs

THX_1138biggs Jedi Master star 1

Jul 9, 2007
    Maybe. In the Episode I documentary, in a meeting with Lucas and his fx team and production staff, they mention the cost of the movie. Around $150 million. With at least most of it going to the special effects. All three prequels were about that much. That's one of the successful strategies Lucas made making each of the last three movies, that they were not these "huge" yet big movies. Perhaps they won't have to spend that much on these new ones either. It's benefits everyone in the end.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah and the LOTR movies only had budgets of $90 million, and all three of them grossed over $300 million domestically.

8. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    That's more to do with doing all three at once, I'd think-it drives your props and other costs way down.

9. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    True, but it has been a few years since SW3, so that would cost more to do the same in the current economy.

Plus, this is a new day, and I don't personally see Disney and LF going cheaper on an Episode 7 that is this important. I think the movie's budget will be close to that of the Avengers or John Carter.

I think they will give epic proportions to the special effects (and getting actors like Harrison Ford to sign on), all of that will cost.

10. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    A really bad video game!

Alderaan Luke likes this.
  11. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    Doesn't benefit the viewer if it is full of garbage CGI that looks like a cheap video game!

Doug625 likes this.
  12. Teaviex Cue

Teaviex Cue Jedi Padawan

Dec 25, 2012
    I want him to rap.
    "♪ I uh I uh I I'm too weak ♪"

DarthBoba likes this.
  13. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    :rolleyes: I see the people who don't actually play video games are talking smack again.

Let's take a screencap from the current titan of video game graphics, Skyrim:

[​IMG]

Annd a wholly-digital scene from Revenge Of The Sith:

[​IMG]

And yeah. Skyrim isn't even close to level of reality.

So let's knock off the "looks like a video game lolololol" because even the most modern and powerful games don't even get close to ILM. It's a stupid argument that can be defeated with some screencaps.

14. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    ^:)^^:)^^:)^

15. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Episode I actually felt the most like Star Wars in terms of the usage of props and actual sets. I'd like it if Episode VII was more like that, instead of being 90% CGI like Episode III was.

Rogue_1138 likes this.
  16. kainee

kainee Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 10, 2012
    What I would like is not just for Episode VII to push the special effects but also to revolutionize 3D. Right now, the technology is in the phase of integrating 3D in the shot composition to take advantage of it if it's known from the start that it'll be 3D and converting it to 3D for movies that weren't shot with it in mind so I would like for the Star Wars movies to be planned for 3D from the start and really push it. I don't know how but I think ILM can do it.

17. Doug625

Nov 9, 2012
    Not trying to be a smart ass, but how does them spending less money benefit us? I mean it's Star Wars so most of us will spend money to see it and then buy it on blu ray no mater what just because it's Star Wars (a lot of us will even if we are disappointed lol)

18. Doug625

Nov 9, 2012
    All I am saying is, that scene from Revenge of the Sith looks really cool, lots going on.....but very "fake". When they can get the CGI to like the models used to and then add to it, we all win. Is it possible that the younger generation(not around during the release of the OT) is so used to viewing video games that they really can't tell the difference? just a thought, because we all know these planets and ships really do exist, therefore looking real could be argued either way! lol

19. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Looks "fake" to you maybe. My main point is that there isn't a video game in existence that looks even close to that.

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    How about The Old Republic? Or is it only the cinematics that approach the same level?

21. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, that's the cinematics only. Getting an entire movie like that would be prohibitively time-consuming and expensive.

What TOR actually looks like:

[​IMG]

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Does TOR have starship combat as well- or is it primarily ground-based?

23. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    No idea; I don't have the time to devote to an MMO and not alot of interest in playing.

24. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Do detractors not do their homework on how these films are made because of a lack of interest, or is it just laziness? Perhaps it's one of those chicken/egg questions.

Darth Chiznuk and DarthBoba like this.
  25. Alderaan Luke

Alderaan Luke Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    Both look like a video game. 1st: Skyrim is NOT the game with the better graphics (maybe Far Cry 3 at Ultra on PC). 2nd: Both look like a video game: the first one, like a 2011 video game, and the second one like a 2016 video game. Yes, the second one looks better than current video games. But still looks very computerish and video gamish. Sorry dude.